rated by 0 users
This post has 300 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 7:47 PM

Kris:
I think that's the standard layout for this quilt. I like the chevrons. I find them easier than the triangle units as well Donna.

Kris, it is the standard layout but without the Birthday Girl Block (using the chevron units).  Instead she has used a modified 54-40 block (without the 4 patch blocks in the center and corners).  The center is a plain square and the corners are HST's.  I think the effect works really well with this design.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 7:50 PM

Helen:
My DIL has been asking for a DWR quilt and this one just might fill that request done in her colors!

Helen, my DIL is also asking for a quilt this year...lol!  I was thinking along the same lines as you...increasing the block size.  Let me know if you work out the math!!!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 10:59 AM

My daughter-in-law loves the quilt and wants it.  I just bought wide flannel for the backing and will quilt it this week. 

Donna if I were to make the blocks larger I would change everything up to measure 4 1/2" for a 12" block.  That should be pretty easy since it only needs to be enlarged 1" for each segment.  Let's say the stars are worked on the Angle ruler 3 1/2".  I would cut them 4 1/2" instead, etc.  Hope that helps :-)

My granddaughter saw the movie Frozen and now wants a Sister's quilt.  She loves the character Anna.  I ordered fabric online and as soon as it comes in guess what I will be doing?  Yep trying to figure out what to do with the fabric to create a quilt.  I do things backwards.  Buy the fabric first and then try to find a pattern to fit. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 11:46 AM

Helen:
Donna if I were to make the blocks larger I would change everything up to measure 4 1/2" for a 12" block.  That should be pretty easy since it only needs to be enlarged 1" for each segment.  Let's say the stars are worked on the Angle ruler 3 1/2".  I would cut them 4 1/2" instead, etc.  Hope that helps :-)

Helen, I would be making a King size...so I might even think about a 15" finished block...adding 2" to each segment.  (Someone of FB mentioned doing that, but didn't give the particulars.)  

However, in thinking that through...you wouldn't have as much room for the secondary circle design to develop.  I will have to play with that on EQ7 and see what it looks like.

Anyway, here is more of my CS on the design wall.  I'm putting them up as I get more of the Clue #5 blocks finished:

I'm joining Patti at our "local" QS (50+ miles one way for me)  on Friday for a "Quilting Day" along with some other friends.  I'm planning to take my FW along to work on joining my CS segments into blocks.  

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 11:50 AM

I need an opinion please!  Regarding the picture of my CS on the design wall (in my previous post), if you notice my 4 patches are turned with the orange in the opposite direction of what Bonnie has in hers.  I have some directional prints in the greens and thought mine looked better with them going this way.  

Does anyone think it makes a difference?  Or is it just that it be consistent...which I think/hope I have been.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 1:11 PM

Donna the oranges going in the same direction gives the diagonal lines tha's all.  Your quilt has it's own origionality and looks beautiful!  If it were me, I wouldn't unsew the blocks to reset the 4 patches, I would just leave it.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 1:14 PM

I tried to edit out part of my comment.  You do have the diagonal lines.  Enjoy the process and finish your top! 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 1:24 PM

Thanks Helen, I think I will just carry on...carrying on...lol!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 8:36 PM

Looks fine to me Donna. I really like your colours.

I finally finished steps one and four. Hopefully I'll start putting it all together soon.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Donna B:

I have some directional prints in the greens and thought mine looked better with them going this way.  

Does anyone think it makes a difference?  Or is it just that it be consistent...which I think/hope I have been.

Your quilt looks fine, Donna B.  Keep going!!   It's the consistency that matters, not the direction.  Like that you are using both stars and diamonds!  Nice!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 28 2014 7:16 PM

Thanks everyone...you are giving me confidence that I am headed in the right direction.  

So, I will continue forward... creeping forward it seems, but I am making progress.  Last night I figured out that I still have 40 "Birds in the Air" blocks to complete plus those darn orange tri-rec blocks for the border from Clue #2.  

Hopefully I will have some blocks sewn together by this weekend.  I will do as many Chevron blocks as I have parts for, but will probably do mostly the Star Blocks with the 4-patches.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 7:22 PM

I finally started constructing blocks. I have these five so far. This quilt is a hybrid. Most of the units are hand pieced and the block is put together by machine. I'm trying to increase my machine time gradually but have to mind what my back is telling me. I'm loving what I have so far. hope to do some more tomorrow.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 8:05 PM

It looks wonderful Kris.  I was wondering how the upper right hand corner block is going to work with the other ones.  Is there a special reason the one star point is reversed from all the others?  Can you tell us or is it a surprise?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 8:16 PM

Kris, I really like the way this quilt is going together for you and your fabric-chooser.  His colors really are going to make a striking quilt.  

Take good care of that back.  Hope it keeps getting stronger all the time.  Remember - -  listen to your body.  It knows best.  I have been told that so many times and am finally listening to the advice and my body.  I am not the type to rest when I need to, need to be doing something all the time.  That is the reason for the laptop and hand-piecing.  I can do something AND rest.  I haven't tried hybrid quilting, but may with some of these sampler quilts we are doing when it comes to sashing.  I have planned to do everything by hand on them including the quilting, but this old body may need some machine help.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 31 2014 12:10 AM

Mimi:

It looks wonderful Kris.  I was wondering how the upper right hand corner block is going to work with the other ones.  Is there a special reason the one star point is reversed from all the others?  Can you tell us or is it a surprise?

Well s*&^! That no surprise. Just a boo boo I hadn't noticed. I see frogging in my not to distant future. LOL

Page 19 of 21 (301 items) «Prev1718192021Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use