Quiltville Mystery Quilt....Celtic Solstice

rated by 0 users
This post has 300 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 18 2014 12:54 PM

Pretty blocks Donna. I haven't done much on mine.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 1:06 AM

Blue gets my vote as well Helen.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 370
Points 6,510
Helen replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 7:48 AM

Thanks ladies, blue it is.  By adding two more rows to CS I t is now long enough to cover the pillows and tuck under.  Somehow my enthusiasm has slowed a little and I am getting a slow start on finishing the borders....gone in to reading mode for now.  Maybe the borders will get done this week :-)

How's everyone's progress going?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Your quilt looks beautiful Helen.  Glad you picked the blue border--it really makes the quilt shine!   Enjoy your reading.  You've already done the lion's share on this quilt!  Good time for a break!    :-)

I added extra borders to make my quilt a full size and I'm really pleased with that.
Took it to quilt camp at my guild yesterday so I could put the layers together on the gym floor.  Several members are also making this quilt.  One of the ladies is working on a Christmas themed version, one following Bonnie's color scheme and one other person is working on one I didn't see.

It caused quite a stir when I put my completed top down on the floor!   Everyone stopped what they were doing and came over to look at it!  They all really liked it.  I hadn't my quilt up on the design wall when I started putting the blocks together so I didn't realize that the star blocks containing the 4 patches had to all be set one way to get the Irish chains.  I had a one in 2 chance of getting it right and exactly 50% of them are set the wrong way!   I pointed it out to the ladies…none of them were at all worried (and there are some serious perfectionists in the group) about that and the consensus was the quilt was still spectacular.  Whew!  I'm calling it My Irish Rose.  One quilt friends suggested that with non-chaining Irish Chain maybe my Wild Irish Rose would be better.  Too funny!

Now that it is sandwiched I have to decide how to quilt it!   Going to do free motion but not sure what yet, except I think I'm going to put in a stitch in the ditches to divide the quilt into 4 quadrants.  I squared it up with the borders but it's a bit wonky and I want it stabilized before I do the free motion. 

Will have to ponder this for a bit.  I have my New Year's Day quilt to quilt first since we are all brining that quilt to Show and Tell at guild on Weds.   Anyone have any thoughts about quilting??

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 10:29 AM

Wow Judy WTG on your progress. I haven't turned to thoughts of quilting yet. Bonnie's quilt has a nice design. Maybe that can provide some inspiration. Perhaps the CS Yahoo group has photos of other finishes.

I'm still working on mine; hand piecing a little here and there. Quite the snail's pace.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 370
Points 6,510
Helen replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 11:55 AM

Thanks Judy.  I enjoyed your story.  It's so terrific that your quilt is ready for quilting!!  I look forward to seeing pictures of it completed!

I like the name "Wild Irish Rose"!!  Are you quilting your New Year's Day quilt on a DSM or longarm?  Longarm I prefer a panto that makes fast work.  Feathers are my favorite for an all over design also.  I am sure it will be beautiful no matter what you decide to quilt!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 8:56 PM

Donna B:

Oh dear...  I just had a "quilty friend" say I should name this quilt "Age of Aquarius".  Are the colors really that wild looking???  Now I am worried!  This may end up a donation quilt after all...

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 370
Points 6,510
Helen replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 9:17 PM

Donna put together some more blocks and see the circles emerge!  I like your earthy colors!  Age of Aquarius is a great name!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 370
Points 6,510
Helen replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 9:19 PM

Don't know what happened there!  I tried to edit out the returns but it didn't work. Sorry!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Hi Helen,

I'm going to use my DSM for the quilting.  I have a mid arm but I can do larger patterns on if I do it with the DSM.

Donna,
Your quilt doesn't look the least bit psychedelic to me!  It'll be beautiful when it's done.

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 8,840
Jan replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 12:36 PM

I think the blue makes it pop.  The green is almost not noticeable at all. IMHO.

Jan

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:04 PM

OK, here is a picture of my CS in progress with some Clue #5 blocks now added on the design wall :

Now that I've had time to sleep on it, might not be too far off ...lol!  All the oranges, golds, greens, and browns, really remind me of our house from the 70's.  

We were joking about it today and thought instead of naming it "Age of Aquarius" or "Dawn of Aquarius", it could be "Donna's Aquarius"...a little play on words there...lol!  

We'll see how it progresses.   It is pretty funny how that era really can come back to haunt you now and then.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 7:42 PM

Donna,

I'm loving what I see. I'm sure you'll love it when it's complete. "Donna's Aquarius" is an awesome name.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 7:46 PM

I forgot to mention this earlier for those of you with EQ. Linda Franz has a downloadable EQ file with the CS blocks.

http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/bonnie-hunters-celtic-solstice-mystery-inklingo-clue-06/

(iPad won't let me create a link). 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 11:57 PM

Kris:

I forgot to mention this earlier for those of you with EQ. Linda Franz has a downloadable EQ file with the CS blocks.

http://www.lindafranz.com/blog/bonnie-hunters-celtic-solstice-mystery-inklingo-clue-06/

(iPad won't let me create a link). 

Yep Kris, I already have the CS blocks downloaded to EQ7.  

In fact, last night I actually started playing with CS in blues.  I can't believe that I could even be considering doing another one of these in another colorway...lol!  I have so much already planned...but what is one more???

Winthrop, WA

Page 17 of 21 (301 items) «Prev1516171819Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use