This post has 300 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, Dec 21 2013 11:55 AM

Kris:

Mimi:
Four patches you say, Kris?  Those should work up quickly.  I think I remember last year she gave an easier step the week of Christmas.

Yes. Step four should go quickly. I'm still working on steps one through three.

I'm still working on steps one and two!  I have had a terrible time getting a consistent 1/4" seam (and not just with this quilt...lol).  Last night, in frustration, I finally begged DH to break off the "guide" on my Bernina quarter-inch foot and now I can actually see the side of the foot and I'm having much better results.  Yippee!  This foot has narrower "forks" than my other qtr-inch foot and I found with Inklingo if I line up the inside of the left fork on the sewing line, the stitches are perfectly spaced to the right for an accurate block size.  DOUBLE WIN FOR ME!!!  I AM SOOO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!!!!  

This quilt (and Bonnie) have finally forced me to "do what it takes" to get an accurate block without all the wasted time and fabric of trimming down.  THANK YOU BONNIE HUNTER!!!

i figured step three and four - being pretty standard - should go pretty quickly (relatively speaking...lol), so I am bound and determined to get one & two done right before moving on.  I'm feeling really good about this right now, but will probably be taking a holiday break with a houseful of family coming!  By New Year, they'll all be back home and I can get back to this at full speed.

Have a great Christmas everyone!!!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I hear you Pat!  I think last year's BH MQ started a bit earlier and maybe the weekly steps were simpler.  I don't recall hitting the Christmas Crunch quite the same way last time.  It is great to have a straightforward step this week.  :-)

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 21 2013 5:31 PM

Donna B:
I finally begged DH to break off the "guide" on my Bernina quarter-inch foot and now I can actually see the side of the foot and I'm having much better results.  Yippee!

Donna,

I'm glad you found a solution. I've always found presser feet with the guide to be "off". I have three machines that came with them and I ended up getting feet without the guide.

I printed my HSTs for step three and will commence hand piecing after a lie down. I made two LUS blocks today and my back is acting up again. Rotary cutting is really aggravating my situation.

It will be a looong time before I complete this project.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 21 2013 5:34 PM

Judy & Dogs:

I hear you Pat!  I think last year's BH MQ started a bit earlier and maybe the weekly steps were simpler.  I don't recall hitting the Christmas Crunch quite the same way last time.  It is great to have a straightforward step this week.  :-)

Judy last year's mystery was a break, hence the name (Easy Street). Her mysteries are usually packed with tiny pieces and lots of work. Last year was the only one I was ever able to keep up with.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 21 2013 5:34 PM

Pat Lancaster:
I finished Step 3 and am working on Step 4.

WTG Pat.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,785

Kris:
last year's mystery was a break, hence the name (Easy Street). Her mysteries are usually packed with tiny pieces and lots of work
I did her Boxy Stars when Nana hosted it as an MQ and I didn't think it had too many little pieces. This one is more than I bargained for, LOL. I will finish this although probably not on time. However, it will probably be my last BH project for a while. Especially at this time of year. Year end on my job is stressful plus this year the boss decided to open another store on Jan 2. Thanks to Amazon and Barnes and Nobel my grandchildren did get gifts. Baking? What's that? I put out my poinsettia place mats and a fake poinsettia in the middle of the table and decorating done! fortunately I like my job and I have the best boss ever so I'm not complaining. I get off at noon tomorrow and am off the rest of the week so am hoping to just sew, sew, sew!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 23 2013 5:00 PM

Pat Lancaster:
I did her Boxy Stars when Nana hosted it as an MQ and I didn't think it had too many little pieces.

I enjoyed Boxy Stars. Her mysteries are a whole other story. Some are listed on the left side of the page at Quiltville.com. "Roll, Roll Cotton Boll" and "Orca Bay" are in her "String Fling" book. I suspect "Easy Street" and "Celtic Solstice" will be in an upcoming book.

I got 15 pinwheels done while watching football yesterday. I brought more to work in hopes of sewing if I have some down time.

I don't get fancy for Christmas so there's nothing to do there. I envy your having a boss and jib you enjoy. Enjoy your days off. Merry Christmas and Happy sewing.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,785

Good morning all. I have finished steps 3 & 4. Now back to one and 2. One is a stretch for me so it's a good thing even if I'm not enjoying it. LOL  If I were working the rest of the week I would do statements on Thursday. I am the only one who does them so I am printing them and bringing them home. I need to bake a pie and some rolls for tomrrow so I can work on statements in between the mixing and baking. My 2 yo dgd called me last night (with help from daddy) and invited me to supper and presents tonight. I will enjoy it thoroughly but no sewing today. If I do my baking today then tomorrow morning should be mine. Yea! If I don't get caught up by Friday it will not be the first time I'm behind and most likely won't be the last, LOL. Merry Christmas!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 333
Points 6,005
Helen replied on Tue, Dec 24 2013 11:05 AM

Good going Pat! 

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Kris:
Her mysteries are usually packed with tiny pieces and lots of work. Last year was the only one I was ever able to keep up with.

You're so right, Kris!  I saw Orca Bay in her book…I think I would have given up (or never started) on that one.  I have used several of the patterns on Bonnie's blog--all fun and very doable. 

I have step 4 cut and ready to go.  I ordered Bonnie's seam marker tool for the sewing machine to see if that helps.  It arrived yesterday, just 48 hrs after I ordered it.  Will see if it makes a difference.  (They come in sets of 6 or you can buy a single one with a book).  I had been making a fence out of stacked painter's tape. It kept shifting on me with use. This time I'm trying some Scotch restickable mounting strips that are 1" wide and 3" long.  The package says they strips can come off and can be reused. If they get dusty they can be rinsed and that is suppose to renew them. I'll see how it works!

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 24 2013 7:32 PM

I've been not so diligently working on my pinwheels for step 3. I have all the HSTs but the pinwheels are slow going. My patient load is almost nonexistent tonight but I'm not motivated to sew.

Judy & Dogs:
I saw Orca Bay in her book…I think I would have given up (or never started) on that one.

It's the string piecing that got me on that one. I really don't like it. I'm thinking of cutting the shapes from one piece of fabric to finish it up.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,705
Points 364,337
Kris replied on Tue, Dec 24 2013 7:32 PM

Pat Lancaster:
Good morning all. I have finished steps 3 & 4. Now back to one and 2.

WTG Pat. 

Merry Christmas everyone.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,785

Yesterday while rolls were rising and baking I did my "homework" from my job so I can truly be on vacation now. After that stuff was done I started putting the chevrons in Step 2 together. Oh my! It is slow going sewing everyone.y. I wanted to finish them yesterday but that surely didn't happen. I will be plugging away on them today as I can. I still have half of step 1 to do as well. ;-(   And tomorrow the next clue comes out, YIKES! Guess I better get off here and get to work. Happy sewing everyone.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 333
Points 6,005
Helen replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 10:51 AM

You're doing good Pat!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Dec 26 2013 11:19 AM

Pat Lancaster:
Oh my! It is slow going sewing everyone

It sure is, Pat.  I have done more frogging on this quilt than I usually do on 10!!!  Last week I had step one half done, step 2 cut out, step 3 HSTs half done.  

Now I have step one done - at last!!, step 2 half done, step 3 all HSTs done, may make pinwheels today, step 4 nearly done - lack a few 4 patches.  I am liking my fabrics so far.  Maybe soon I will get the time to lay out a few patches and take pictures.

Marsha - Western New York

Page 12 of 21 (301 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use