Quiltville Mystery Quilt....Celtic Solstice

rated by 0 users
This post has 300 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,982
Points 64,180
Robin replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 6:49 AM

Wow!  Some of you are so busy that I am very impressed by what you can accomplish in a day.  I'm know I'm going to be behind through this entire project but I'm going to try and follow along with your post.   You all have posted such lovely color scheme I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Robin

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 8:15 AM

Back to cutting this morning and realized I had one of the blues face up and one face down, yep cut a strip of all the same side...grrrrrrrrr!  I plan on sewing some of the units today and would like to do some catch-up on my reading. 

Pat. I was wondering the same thing about the fabric?  We may wind up with more scraps!!!  I know I have more of the fabric requirement for each as was listed in step 1 just in fat quarters alone for each color.  Making a trip to the LQS is not a bad idea... mine is having a open house and sale next week.  The only thing that will keep me away is snow!!!  .

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,421
Points 40,355
Mimi replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 8:54 PM

I've been cutting and sewing most of the day today.  I've gotten all 360 triangles cut both the neutrals and the orange.  I only have 312 more star points to cut.  Before you all worry that I'm over the top, I'm making the larger one.  I've also sewn all the 120 orange triangles to one blue star point.  The sewing is going fast; the cutting not so much so.  Hope to have some more time this week but it's a busy time of year.  Can't wait to see everyone's progress.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,421
Points 40,355
Mimi replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 8:59 PM

Pat Lancaster:
I am wondering if we will use any more of the orange and blue fabrics later in the quilt or are we done with them. Does anyone have any idea?

No I really don't have any idea but I'll bet there is more blue to be cut yet.  Orange?  Maybe?...probably.  I'm trying hard not to buy anything new for this quilt. I'm using up every stray scrap I can find.....that's a laugh...finding them can be harder than cutting and sewing them.  LOL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 654
Points 16,580

Based on what I used, I think we'll be using both orange and blue later.  I only used up about  2/3 yard of each, and the fabric requirements called for between 1-1/2 - 2-1/4 yds. of each.

I have everything cut and half the neutral/ blue sewn.  I need to finish up another project tomorrow, but hope to get these done before Friday.  I got so far behind in Easy Street, that it was discouraging to try to catch up.  I don't plan on that happening this time.

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sun, Dec 1 2013 10:20 PM

I am 100% cut for the small quilt. Will sew together Tues and Weds.  (I'm slow.) 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Mon, Dec 2 2013 10:18 AM

Great job Debra!  I have all my orange/blues sewn and just finished cutting my neutrals.  Hope to get this done today so that I can get on with those cards that need to be written!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 5:04 AM

Thanks. My thumb is a bit sore from cutting it out all in one day. Started sewing together today and will finish tomorrow. Have half the orange sewn.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,477
Points 46,525

Helen:
Pat. I was wondering the same thing about the fabric?  We may wind up with more scraps!!!  I know I have more of the fabric requirement for each as was listed in step 1 just in fat quarters alone for each color.  Making a trip to the LQS is not a bad idea... mine is having a open house and sale next week. 

I might be overthinking this, but I didn't want to have an entirely new batch of fabrics for another step. Maybe it wouldn't matter and maybe it would. Oh well, guess I should just sew and not think so much, LOL.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,421
Points 40,355
Mimi replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 3:49 PM

Pat Lancaster:
but I didn't want to have an entirely new batch of fabrics for another step

With as many scraps as we're using I don't think it will make that much difference.  I still need to cut more blues and I'm planning to make sure the ones I need to cut will have some yardage with them so I can use them in other spots in the quilt.  Did that make sense?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 4:31 PM

Mimi that is a good idea.  I can't believe how dylexic I am,  I cut a bunch of blues going the wrong way.   Don't ask me how, just don't know!!!  Now to recut the second side again, urggggghhhhhh!  I am glad we are using the Tri Rex ruler.  I have had them for a long time and was afraid to use it.  Now that I am making all these mistakes I will definitely know better for the next time!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,421
Points 40,355
Mimi replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 4:45 PM

Helen:
I cut a bunch of blues going the wrong way.

Oh I feel your pain Helen.  Are you folding your 3 1/2 inch strip in half and cutting through two layers at a time?  Now if you only have one side that is wrong don't cut through two layers....You'll get a right and a left for each you cut.  Just figure out which side you're missing and cut those.

I've just been digging through my stash looking for more blue scraps and yardage.  Found the perfect fabric for borders....at least I think so now.  But only time will tell.  Keep on sewing everyone.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 7:17 PM

You know what's really funny Mimi is that I watched the video that Bonnie had on the proper way of cutting and yet I still managed to screw up.  I even managed to sew a few the wrong way.  Sometimes my brain just goes into a fog.  I believe I cut the side I needed correctly and will start to pin them in place.  Post a picture of your border fabric, will love to see it!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Wed, Dec 4 2013 7:57 AM

After re-cutting and doing some ripping I finally got Step 1 done!! 

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 98
Points 1,565
Christine replied on Wed, Dec 4 2013 10:47 AM

Here are my clue #1's making 2 of the smaller size.  I know I am crazy but I love being crazy. 1st one will be yellow, blue, green(I cut red as my side pieces by accident and said what the heck and swapped my colors around) red,  and cream as my neutrals.  So my blue is Bonnie's orange and my red is Bonnie's blue.  2nd one is Civil War themed fabrics gold, brick red, olive green, black (cream as my neutrals).  Have a great day hopefully you will be able to sew something today.  It is freezing here so good day to sew

Page 7 of 21 (301 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use