Quiltville Mystery Quilt....Celtic Solstice

rated by 0 users
This post has 300 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Fri, Nov 29 2013 6:25 AM

Part one is up and it starts with the Tri Recs. Well guess I will press and cut into the 3 1/2" strips until my ruler gets here. It should be here today or monday.

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Happy Friday everyone!   Bonnie has posted her first set of instructions!  We are off and running.  Here's the link to her pdf file.

http://quiltville.com/pdf/Celtic%20Solstice%20Mystery%20part%201.pdf

Time to change the blade in the rotary cutter and get rolling!  

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

I've been dithering about whether to use blue or brown in this quilt.  Since I'm using orange-red I thought the brown might be nice, but decided just 30 minutes ago to use blues.  I'm staying with darker colours for this one, so might drop off the bottom blue.   I'm also considering using just one neutral fabric.  Any Bonnie Hunter "gurus" out there have any thoughts about that?  In the meantime, I have lots of oranges and blues to cut, so can wait a day to decide on the neutrals. The neutral is brownish tones, not bluish as shows up here.

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Fri, Nov 29 2013 4:15 PM

Brigit-Carol:
I'm also considering using just one neutral fabric. 

I think you should do what your heart tells you to do. A consistent background would be great.

I have taken two workshop classes with Bonnie and I know she uses everything in her quilts.  If she says to use the lighter neutrals she is talking about creams, whites and lightest tan.  But she is also talking about every imaginable fabric that has those neutral colors as a background.  So there may be novelties, CW repros, polka dots,  flowers, 30's, juvenile, and black and whites, etc. As long as they are lighter on the ground fabric, she considers it a neutral.  It doesn't matter what is printed over the neutral color.  It is still a neutral.  So cream with blue and yellow flowers is okay.  White with a green vine running through it is okay.  Tone-on-tone beige with an orange polka dot is okay.  Her way of planning a quilt is by color/tone not by fabric. Hope this helps.  But I still say use what your heart tells you to use.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

I just got home from work and have a quandary. I am trying to finish a UFO this month, that means by tomorrow midnight. I have done a little quilting on it but have a lot more to do and of course the binding. But I have the instructions for the first step. I printed them at work. So I should get off the computer and do________________________. What to do, what to do, LOL! Have fun everyone!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 735
Points 18,400

Pat Lancaster:

I just got home from work and have a quandary. I am trying to finish a UFO this month, that means by tomorrow midnight. I have done a little quilting on it but have a lot more to do and of course the binding. But I have the instructions for the first step. I printed them at work. So I should get off the computer and do________________________. What to do, what to do, LOL! Have fun everyone!

Start Celtic Solstice, then when you get tired of cutting, go back to quilting your current UFO!  See, the decision is made for you.  <grin>

I'm working on some blocks for a swap that need to be mailed by Monday, but I decided at least starting on CS is important as if I put it off, I'll get too far behind.  So I decided to cut the center triangle parts today, then work on the swap blocks tomorrow.  We are women -- multi-tasking is our forte!

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Fri, Nov 29 2013 5:11 PM

I printed off the directions but I have to finish the wedding/bridesmaid dresses alterations first. I'm hoping to have that all done today.

I was pretty excited to find i have the right accuquilt die to cut these pieces, I won't even have to use the rulers for this step.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Fri, Nov 29 2013 5:13 PM

Bridget-Carol.....I don't see any reason why you can't use just 1 background fabric. Scrappy quilts are busy quilts, and a consistent background will make it just a little mellower.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Fri, Nov 29 2013 7:14 PM

Helen:
The triangle starts at 2 1/2" do you think this will work

Helen, Bonnie said on Quilt-Cam one night that there will be no piece smaller than 2 x 2 inch square in this one.  I think your ruler will be okay.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Fri, Nov 29 2013 7:16 PM

Helen:
I have to go buy the smaller Easy Angle ruler.

sorry Helen.  I should have read further on the thread.  Joann's carries them if you are close to one.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Fri, Nov 29 2013 7:45 PM

Thanks Mimi!  Bonnie emailed me with the info and I will try to get to Joann's soon to get the ruler.  

I spent the day hand sewing  a binding on a quilt that needed to be done and making two crayon carriers that were promised.  I figure I can do some cutting over the weekend.  Still have to do Christmas shopping and getting out Christmas cards....so much to do and will surely fall behind, but,  know that eventually I will get it done and love it as I have all the MQ's that were completed late.  I promised myself that I will not stress out qxz@%%#$#$@ :-)  Remember we are all going to have fun and enjoy the ride!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

I started with the quilting. I spent at least a half hour trying to find a thread that would work. My machine is persnickety about thread for free motion. After finding the thread I quilted one block and went to cutting for CS. I am almost finished cutting the orange. I have to admit that I love all the specialty rulers, they make cutting these odd shapes so much quicker and easier. I am making the smaller version and I think it will go pretty fast. Some of you will find this hard to believe but I have to cut my grass today. Living it Florida is a blessing and a curse, lol. Daylight savings time is a blessing and curse. There isn't much time in the afternoon after work for me to cut it so Saturday has to be the day. I keep thinking this will be the last time for the winter, then it rains and up pops the grass.  I have pretty much resigned myself to not finishing the UFO by midnight, roflol, and will probably need the rest of the week to finish sewing all these nifty triangles. Oh well, at least I'm not sitting around bored. Have fun everyone.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 1:09 PM

Pat you are lucky your grass is growing.  We have tons of leaves to rake and it is freezing!

Yippee Joann's had the little Easy Angler and I picked up a new rotary blade.  Have my fabrics ironed and will start cutting tonight!!  Have a great day everyone!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 571
Points 10,715
Debra replied on Sat, Nov 30 2013 4:10 PM

Started cutting today and have about 1/3 cut. And I am pleased so far. Using up lots of scraps. :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935

Helen, I don't rake. I just let the leaves blow around, lol. Raking is just too hard for me. I am very grateful that I am not freezing, it was chilly here in the morning but warmed up nicely. 

I got most of the cutting done, but decided to sew some of the units just to be different. I should be able to get them all done this week. I gave up on the quilt. My machine was giving me a lot of trouble so I gave up and ordered some Issacord thread. If that doesn't solve the problems then I will have to take it in for service which would take at least a week, Yikes!  Bad timing.

I am wondering if we will use any more of the orange and blue fabrics later in the quilt or are we done with them. Does anyone have any idea? When making a scrappy it is hard to know how much fabric it takes. I am wondering if I have enough. It would just be too awful if I had tp go buy more fabric, ok I lied, it really wouldn't be so awful. I was thinking it would be kind of cool to make it completely from my stash.

• Post Points: 65
Page 6 of 21 (301 items) «Prev45678Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use