2013 New Years Day Mystery Quilt

rated by 0 users
This post has 61 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

This project has turned in a New Years Week project!!  But I am making headway.  I have found the instructions to be rather challenging.  Just a little more information could have made this project a lot smoother.  But..I like what is appearing so I'm glad I made it.  

I am starting to sew quilt blocks. Here is the upper left hand corner of the quilt. I decided on an alternate configuration for the churn dash block.   I'm not sure which color I want in the last block set--here in the lower left corner. Decisions, decisions!  

What do you guys like? Thanks!

Sparkles:

r

Bright green

Four patch                                                                    

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 2:19 AM

Judy,

while I like them all the first choice is my favourite.

This is already sooooo gorgeous. WTG.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Kris:
while I like them all the first choice is my favourite.

Thanks Kris!  You and 2 other friends like the sparkle block.  It was my first choice too.  

Here is the quilt on the design wall.  Amazing what can come out a dive into the Stash!

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,025
Points 369,882
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:49 PM

Looks amazing Judy.

Nice work.

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 41,340
Mimi replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 5:10 PM

Judy & Dogs:
 You and 2 other friends like the sparkle block.

I think this is the one I like too.  Great job.  I agree that it could have been so much easier if the directions had been clearer.  I like the quilt but I don't know that I will be trying anymore if the cutting and sewing directions don't get better.  Or maybe I'm just spoiled after doing Easy Street.  I was so frustrated you would have thought this was the first quilt I'd ever sewed. Your churn dash blocks look so different than mine.  Hope to get them sewed together tonight after going out for dinner.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,571
Points 30,609
Kelley replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:52 PM

Judy & Dogs:

Here is the quilt on the design wall.  Amazing what can come out a dive into the Stash!

wonderful Judy....your quilt is great ..I love the way the alternate color blocks makes it pop

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Mimi:
Your churn dash blocks look so different than mine.

Mimi--I flipped the dark/light blocks on the churn dash block.  She showed some other other variations possible on the last pages of the project.  Churn dash isn't my favorite block but like the design this way.

Can't wait to see what everyone else's blocks look like!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,125

Hi fellow quilters, here is my 2 squares for the  New Year's Day Mystery quilt. 

Hope the light blue neutrals work out in the larger quilt ok. I like each square individually.

this is a quieter color way for me to work in and once Judy with dogs straightened me out today I am enjoying the process. 

The directions for the scrappy version left out many specifics and I was longing for the chaining in the posted versions but this is the risk in mystery quilting.

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 41,340
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 9:49 PM

Janet Hanley:
here is my 2 squares for the  New Year's Day Mystery quilt. 

Oh Janet, I think the light blues will be great, although I must confess my favorite colors are blue and yellow.....and red.....and green.....and orange.....and purple....and............  I had a hard time reading the chaining directions so I think you've done a wonderful job here.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 41,340
Mimi replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 9:53 PM

Okay team 2013 New Years Day Mystery Quilt here is my version.  I decided to change the center square on the second block.  I really felt the lighter fabric just washed out the whole thing so I substituted the "light warm" my medium brown.  I think it gives it a bit more character.  Like Janet I'm liking the process now that I've figured it out. 

What cha think?

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Looking good Janet!  Two blocks done!  You'll have the quilt made in no time.  

It's going to be a beautiful quilt. The colors in this photo aren't true to life.  The background fabrics are actually  lovely soft baby blues and the what looks like yellow here is really a yellow green.  It's really pretty!   Can't wait to see more. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Mimi--your quilt is stunning!  I reminds me of ancient Roman floor mosaics.  Very classy!  (Or should I say classical)!

Your color combinations are perfect.  Yay you!!

Mimi:

I substituted the "light warm" my medium brown.  I think it gives it a bit more character.  Like Janet I'm liking the process now that I've figured it out. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Here is my finished New Years Day Mystery quilt.  It is now officially another UFO!!   That's TIpper sitting in front if it.  He's feeling a bit neglected--too much sewing, too little time walking and playing in the snow!  

Back to the Bonnie Hunter quilt. I'm still working on the step prior to making the quilt blocks.  

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,478
Points 41,340
Mimi replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 10:09 AM

Judy & Dogs:
Here is my finished New Years Day Mystery quilt.

Oh what a cutie....and the quilt isn't bad either.  : )  Nice job, Judy.  The colors are great and the quilt really has a lot of motion.  I think I'm taking a break from all the little pieces in Easy Street to work on this one.  But I've got to get one of the three is progress finished  today. Too many pieces all around.  At least they're all different colors so I can tell which one goes to what quilt.  Have a restful Sunday.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Mimi:
I think I'm taking a break from all the little pieces in Easy Street to work on this one.  But I've got to get one of the three is progress finished  today. Too many pieces all around.  At least they're all different colors so I can tell which one goes to what quilt.

Ha! I so understand. My goal for the day is to find my dining room table.  It covered with remnants from this quilt.  Three layers in place. Aaagh!  Easy Street is up in my sewing room so at least that is confined! Sort of...

Have fun sewing. 

Page 3 of 5 (62 items) Prev12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use