Bonnie Hunter Mystery Easy Street

rated by 0 users
This post has 325 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I like the top 2 right and maybe the top 3rd as well because the background of those prints is similar.  With the black prints on white recommended, white is the constant while having different patterns on the white is fine.  I'm not sure how it will read when you add fabrics with yellower or pink background.  Might be totally fine. It's a mystery!!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Judy T- Sorry about your fall.  Hope you have a comfy cushion to sit on and that you get lots of sewing done with an ice pack on your knee.  Feel better soon!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

Judy - I'm sorry you fell and hurt yourself.  Hope your aches and bruises heal soon.  Enjoy the time off. I love your purple goslins!  The colours really pop out.  I've cut all mine and begun sewing the right hand side.  I hope to finish them today so I can do a couple of other projects before Friday.  I borrowed an EZ flying geese ruler from the LQS, so ended up doing them similar to Bonnie's method, but using only one ruler, not two.  Between the goslins and cutting the 3.5" strips for the next step, I actually used up my extra b/w strips I cut in step 1. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,980
Helen replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 12:13 PM

Judy I am so sorry you fell and hurt yourself, thankfully you didn't break anything.   The geese are so pretty!  Love your colors!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 4:47 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I finished step 2. I'm going to love this pattern and can't wait for the next step.

I just love it Judy.

Judy T-Bellingham:
I tripped over an item someone had left laying on the floor by their desk and went down HARD on my hip and knee. Xrays showed no serious injury but I'm off work for a few days. How sad.... :-}

Glad nothing's broken. Serendipity, wish I had some of that "luck".

I finished my 4-patches and have all my geese cut. I spent yesterday in Boston with DH and an old army buddy we hadn't seen in four years. It was a wonderful day in spite of snow and freezing rain. I was really hurting by the time we got back home. I slept over 14 hours! 

Working on three mystery quilts, one from LQS, this one and MQ7.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 4:50 PM

Karyn Ashley-Smith:

Would LOVE input ASAP so I can get going. I'm leaning towards Option 2..... but I love the way the black & white look with the gray and wonder if I would get a cleaner look with just aqua on white or if it would just be boring!

Thanks! Can't wait to see what you guys have to say......

Karyn (pretty name),

I like your fabrics and I really like the turquoise background. It works with all your other fabric.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 4:53 PM

Belfrybat:
Does anyone have the rulers she suggests and do they really make flying geese easier than the 4 at a time method?

I have both rulers in different sizes and really love them. I don't think it's easier just more convenient if you already have the strips cut. I use Bonnie's method of scrap management so I usually have the same sizes already cut.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Sun, Dec 2 2012 10:34 PM

I am having trouble with my flying geese. My right side looks right, but sometimes my left isn't right, my point comes up too high...I am not sure why.

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,615

dardar:

I am having trouble with my flying geese. My right side looks right, but sometimes my left isn't right, my point comes up too high...I am not sure why.

Dardar, are you using the Easy Angle and Companion rulers? I found having that tip cut off really helps in getting the pieces lined up right.  I did have trouble keeping my pieces lined up during sewing. They wanted to slip and slide and were too small for pins.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 3:43 PM

dardar:

The bottom edges of your triangles should be even. if the points are not cut off they should be even not offset in any way.

I hope this makes sense.

BTW I have steps one and two complete. None pressed. I tend to finger press until I get the blocks together.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,642
Points 61,860
Jacy replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 6:22 PM

Kris:
BTW I have steps one and two complete.

i'm running behind, i have step 1 done but have yet to start step 2. I'm trying to get a King-size quilt done in the next week or so, that's taking most of my sewing time.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 6:23 PM

Jacy,

you'll catch up in no time. My sewing seems to only happen on Sunday these days so don't know how long I'd stay ahead.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,342
Points 38,935
Mimi replied on Mon, Dec 3 2012 8:36 PM

Don't even have step 2 cut yet.  Enjoyed DGD #1 dance recital this weekend and visiting in VA.  I'll catch up as I can.  Everyone's fabrics and steps are looking good. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Tue, Dec 4 2012 8:52 AM

Thanks, I think I have it figured out. First I was pressing my right side so the dog ear was to the side rather than the bottom, once I changed that it seemed to correct things as I could line up the top correctly. And i am pinning the left side and pulling out the pin right before I get to the end. 75 squares in and I am getting the hang of it.

Question: I have a good 20 that are "okay" except there is not much of a seam allowance at the point of the geese. IT seems if I try to take these apart they will stretch or fray? If I leave them alone the geese might look like they flew into a wall when it gets put together.  I could just keep making geese and pick the best to put in the quilt.

My DH says use them "it adds character".  My granddaughter says "they are okay...we are just having wonky fun". My wanting things to be right side says just keep making them till I get enough "good" geese.  Can someone save me from myself :)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I finished up my Step 2 yesterday.   I used the Companion angle/triangle tools.  I found it worked well to sew from the top point of the purple on the right side. On the left side I started with the point at the bottom left edge of the purple triangle, holding it so the top line of the 2 background pieces was a straight line.  I didn't need to pin anything.  It didn't work at all if I tried to start the left side from the top--it slipped all over the place!

Here is a sampling of my flock of geese with a line of 4 squares from Step 1.  

• Post Points: 50
Page 5 of 22 (326 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use