Bonnie Hunter Mystery Easy Street

rated by 0 users
This post has 325 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 7:54 AM

I think I have finally decided to join in.  I'm going to try this pattern with Halloween fabric.  I didn't take pictures of it last night, but I'm going to use Black for the Gray (constant) and black on orange for the black on white.  Then my other colors will be purple and lime/apple green and some yellow.  What do you think?

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Wed, Nov 28 2012 3:51 PM

Jean:
I think I have finally decided to join in.

Welcome Jean!  It sounds like a really fun quilt.  Can't wait until Friday reveals another clue.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 736
Points 18,405

I love everyone's choices for colours.  I went with Bonnie's recommendations as this bright colour scheme is out of my comfort zone, and it was time to stretch myself.  I've finished pressing about half the four patches and the others are done but not pressed. 

Here's the whole array of colours:

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105

Looks great, Brigit-Carol!

Man, I really think I am going to love these quilts.  They are my favorite colors and I love Bonnie Hunter's style.  I so want to do this one with you guys, but I haven't even gathered fabrics yet and I have THREE other projects I'm currently working on - a quilt as you go quilt, the MQ7, and some xmas presents I'm trying to make.  Plus all the holiday stuff that's going on and work is busy and, man, if only I didn't have to waste hours of every day sleeping, I could get so much done!

Raleigh, NC

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 4:28 PM

Belfrybat:
it was time to stretch myself.

Oh BB.  That gray was worth waiting for.  It's lovely with all your other fabric choices.  I feel the same way about the colors.  I am way too traditional.  I'm excited for tomorrow to come.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Like your choices Brigit-Carol.  Looking forward to the next step tomorrow--even if I won't have time to sew til the weekend!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:39 PM

Belfrybat:
I've finished pressing about half the four patches and the others are done but not pressed. 

I love that grey fabric. Nice work.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 736
Points 18,405

Thanks all for your kind remarks.  I first thought the grey was too light but changed my mind when I saw it up against the b/w.

SECOND STEP is posted:  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/11/easy-street-part-2.html Lots and lots of tiny flying geese!

Brigit-Carol

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I started cutting my purple this AM.  Looks like you'll need 8 2" WOF strips for the geese and 8 2" strips of your black on white prints for the goose wings.  

I hadn't used the Companion Angle tools before (using I make Fons and Porter geese).  It really helped to watch her video about cutting which is nested in the Step 2 instructions link below.  I didn't get it right initially but flipping the strip over kept me going.  Her way is better!   :-)

Belfrybat:

SECOND STEP is posted:  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2012/11/easy-street-part-2.html Lots and lots of tiny flying geese!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 736
Points 18,405

Wow, she calls for lots of baby flying geese!  I prefer the four at a time method, but accidentally cut way too many b/w for the first step and hate to waste them.  I don't have the special rulers, so not sure how well I'll do with the traditional method as I usually have a difficult time getting them squared up.  Does anyone have the rulers she suggests and do they really make flying geese easier than the 4 at a time method? 

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 9:47 AM

Belfrybat:
Does anyone have the rulers she suggests and do they really make flying geese easier than the 4 at a time method? 

Hi BB,

I have the rulers and have taken a class from Bonnie but I have also done my flying geese with the 4 at a time method.  Both have the same results.  As she says in the directions, these are scrap quilts for her and she doesn't have a piece big enough to do the 4 at a time method.  I think any method you are comfortable with is the one you should use if you have enough fabric to do it.  If you don't have the rulers, do it the way you want to.  I guess as long as you end up with 120+ flying geese units it really doesn't matter how you got there, right? have fun!

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:09 PM

Judy thanks for letting us know the number of strips.  I have the purple (my yellow) geese cut just need to do the b/w (which is my black on orange).  As you may guess I'm doing a Halloween quilt.  Forgot how big this was going to be, so I'll probably make 2 smaller ones.  I have the rulers (just bought them at JoAnne's with a 50% coupon).  Followed Bonnie's video and it was pretty easy to cut.  Now I'll have to remember to make sure my fabric is laying right to cut the next ones.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I've finished my right goose wings.  I made a mistake when I was cutting my fabric this morning.  I accidentally doubled the wing count.  I really apologize if any of you already cut too many strips.   I've gone back and corrected the strip count .   

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 220
Points 3,825

Option 1 .... Just aqua on white for backgrounds (aqua is my constant)

OR

An assortment of the other colors that will be in my top as my backgrounds (there are a few more, just not in the picture). My other colors are yellow, pink and gray.... the prints are all either aqua/pink/yellow/gray or a combination of these on white/cream.

Would LOVE input ASAP so I can get going. I'm leaning towards Option 2..... but I love the way the black & white look with the gray and wonder if I would get a cleaner look with just aqua on white or if it would just be boring!

Thanks! Can't wait to see what you guys have to say......

An idea of my colors....some have been replaced in all categories.

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,230

I finished step 2. I'm going to love this pattern and can't wait for the next step. I've been working long hours since before Christmas managing a festival that runs through Christmas Eve and figured I wouldn't have time to work much on this. Then, yesterday, I tripped over an item someone had left laying on the floor by their desk and went down HARD on my hip and knee. Xrays showed no serious injury but I'm off work for a few days. How sad.... :-}

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• Post Points: 65
Page 4 of 22 (326 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use