rated by 0 users
This post has 163 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 1:14 PM

Erin:

Jean- Bonnie Hunter said that she used 42 six inch blocks (set 6x7) and added sashing and borders to come up with 61x 69 lap quilt.  So, it depends on what size you want your blocks and finished quilt to be.  I'm cutting my strips at 5" and am going to just go with the flow. If I need more I'll make them, if I have too many I'll make a pillow or wall hanging.

Jean and Erin~~I used even bigger strips, I cut mine 6", so only needed 20 blocks to make a big quilt.  But I made so many "worms" I had enough to make the smaller one she showed at the end.  I used up every one of my strips, too, even the end cuts that were left when I cut the triangles. I'm not going to show my big one until I see what others do with theirs - I love scraps so much, they are all great~ and Jean, just keep using your scraps ~~ there will be some repeats but if you space them out, not noticed.  The name of the game is "Use up the odd scraps" right?

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 5:55 PM

Great strips Erin.  Love the bright colors!!  Can't wait to see your blocks.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,835

I'm using foundation paper for the strings, so to help with the bias issue I was having I'm going to leave the paper in place until I have the 4 blocks sewn together.  It will take a little longer to tear the paper off, but I'll be happier with the results.  I have 1 sewn together, and lots of other 3 1/2" squares to put together.

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

BarbaraJ--you block looks great!  Great fabrics!   Can't wait to see more!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:31 PM

Barbara J,

nice looking block. Pretty fabrics.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 736
Points 18,435

Jean:

I started sewing my strips together last night.  I'm working on a fall colored theme for my mom.  Does anyone have an idea about the number of "worms" you need?  I've started using the leaders & enders idea from B Hunter and am working on a snowman quilt at the same time.  Can't wait to see all the quilts.  Question, I'm feeling like I keep using the same fabrics for these scrappy quilts and wonder if anyone else does.  Should I purchase different fabrics, but then it's not scraps?????

I cut my "snakes" 4-1/2" wide and they were about 50" long as I was working with some wider muslin.  I made 5-1/2 which looks like it will be enough for a medium sized throw quilt.  I'm using the pattern at the very end of the instructions, but making it larger. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Well, yesterday I went to work at 11A and found out I wasn't on the schedule til 4P. The dog walker was already scheduled so I had a free afternoon!  Quilting time!!  Here is my completed Diamond Strings "Piece of Cake" quilt.  It's small--just 39" square.  

I do mid arm quilting but until yesterday had never managed to get my Bernina's stitch regulator foot to do anything that made me happy.  This small scrappy project seemed like just the quilt to use to try again.

I watched Leah Day's video for this week on quilting a Paisley pattern and figured I could do that.  It's just echoing a loop.  When the paisley's worked I realized leaves on a vine weren't all that different and they worked out too.  The center blocks have the wine-glass pattern in them.

Wow!  I am one Happy Camper. This is miles better than any free-motion quilting I'd ever managed in the past.   Watching videos is really helpful!  So is practicing drawing pattens on a Fisher Price Doodle-Pro toy which can be endlessly erased!   :-)

Thanks for hosting this project, Carol!  

• Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765

Oh Judy I absolutely LOVE this quilt!!! The cupcake border is soooooooo cute and the quilting is great.   As I've mentioned before I call my grand daughter cupcake so this is just very pleasing to me all around. GREAT JOB!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,705
Helen replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 3:53 PM

Judy you did a super job on this darling quilt!  I have the stitch regulator also but didn't like it.  I also do FMQ without it.  Your quilting is wonderful!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Erin and Helen,

Thank you both for your great comments.  Glad you like my little quilt and my free-motion quilting.

Erin--Cupcake is a cute nickname for your granddaughter.  She must be a sweetie!!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 120
Points 2,040

What a cute quilt!! Nice job, Judy! 

MaryAnn

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 736
Points 18,435

Judy -- what a fabulous lap quilt.  I love the zig zag effect and your FM quilting is wonderful.  It all goes together so very well.

Brigit-Carol

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,048
Points 369,207
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:42 PM

Judy:
Here is my completed Diamond Strings "Piece of Cake" quilt.  It's small--just 39" square.

What a gorgeous 39 incher it is. Nice work Judy. You're done done and I haven't decided to start yet. WTG. If it needs a home I have an address.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,384
Points 29,180

Love all the interpretations of this project.  I have been sewing strings together whenever I have had a few minutes and finally got time to work on it some more last night.  I cut my strips 3 1/2", added the neutral strip and starched the life out of it on both sides.  I cut my triangles with the small Easy Angle ruler and was able to get them the full size of the ruler by including the seam allowance at the tip.  This made cutting fast as I used the ruler as a template.  I had to remove a few stitches from the tip, but my squares are 4 1/2 inches.  I trimmed any unevenness and the ears, pressed them again and am ready to sew them together today.  I think I will put them in an hour-glass pattern (also makes pinwheels).  I have 88 squares made out of 8 WOF strips, more than enough for a wheelchair quilt - so I am NOT going against my vow to get those quilts done before doing something new!!!  Hope to get some pictures soon.  There are so many ways these can be put together - who knows what I will come up with when it is finally sewn together.  I will soon be experiencing the heavy seams and bias problems.  Hope the starch helps.  This is the easy, relaxing project I needed.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Marsha-SM:
There are so many ways these can be put together - who knows what I will come up with when it is finally sewn together.  I will soon be experiencing the heavy seams and bias problems.  Hope the starch helps.  

The starching should help you a lot, Marsha.  It is really fun seeing all the ways these blocks can be arranged!  Have fun picking your arrangement.

Thanks Belfrybat, MaryAnn, BelfryBat and Kris for your comments about my Piece of Cake quilt. Had to chuckle about  your having an address if my quilt didn't have a home!  I took to work on Thursday to show it to my colleagues and I almost didn't get the door with it!   :-)

Hope everyone has fun sewing this weekend.  

Page 5 of 11 (164 items) «Prev34567Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use