Diamond Strings

rated by 0 users
This post has 163 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 722
Points 18,130

I love your completed quilt top, Carol.  That is the design I was thinking of doing and you've helped me make my mind up.  I love the stars effect, and the way the orange helps to bring everything together.  You are quick!  I'm still sewing and cutting my squares, although I think I have all my snakes done.  (I know the author of the pattern calls them worms, but I'm in Texas, so what can I say?)

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 7:51 AM

Belfrybat:
I think I have all my snakes done.  (I know the author of the pattern calls them worms, but I'm in Texas, so what can I say?)

I have been referring to mine as snakes, too!  I can't figure out why because I have a snake phobia.  I can't even look at them on TV or in movies. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 8,840
Jan replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 11:48 AM

Judy,

I love the layout.  I had not ever thought of using pink as a background outside of baby, but this is striking.

My oldest daughter loves pink (she still does at age 35) and loves the randomness of scrappy quilts. She has been hinting lately that she needs a good warm quilt for the winter.  Was going to sit this one out but you have given me the inspiration to straighten and look for the 'strings'.  Looking forward to seeing how you finish it.

Jan From Rochester NY

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 41
Points 1,835

Is anyone having trouble with the bias edges?   And if you are pressing all the seams towards the background how are you handling the bulk when you sew the blocks together.  I've got one strip cut into blocks and tried sewing 2 of them together and ripped it out because of the bulk.  I think it might have been the bulk of the seams that was causing me issues with the bias.

Thanks.  Any help would be appreciated.

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,316
Points 18,480

I had to step away from my current project before I threw it out and pulled all my hair out!! So I cleaned my kitchen and when I came back in here I decided to sort through strings.....then I just HAD to try some out...lol  I had some strings but not a lot of variety so I started cutting up some FQ to add to my pile.  This is going to be  very bright and pretty; I can't wait to see what I end up with... Here is a sneak peek...:)

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Erin,

What a great collection of strings!  I love your fabrics.  That is going to be a fabulous quilt!  

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 7:20 PM

BarbaraJ:

Is anyone having trouble with the bias edges?   And if you are pressing all the seams towards the background how are you handling the bulk when you sew the blocks together.  I've got one strip cut into blocks and tried sewing 2 of them together and ripped it out because of the bulk.  I think it might have been the bulk of the seams that was causing me issues with the bias.

Thanks.  Any help would be appreciated.

I didn't even think about  the bias, just handled the blocks carefully, as few pins as possible, like one each end and one in center.  The seam connecting the plain fabric and the strips is the one to press toward the plain triangle.  Since it was no problem for me, I 'm not sure what to tell you!  Anyone else having troubles?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 7:22 PM

Judy:

Erin,

What a great collection of strings!  I love your fabrics.  That is going to be a fabulous quilt!  

What she said!  I think so too~like the brights!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,956
Points 368,407
Kris replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 7:57 PM

Erin,

great collection of bright strings. I hope you're having an easier time after your break.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

BarbaraJ:
Is anyone having trouble with the bias edges? 

BarbaraJ--I did have some problem with the bias edges but not until the quilt was finished.

I spray starched both sides of the worms before I cut them.  I thought I was golden until I put the first outer border on.  I wanted it be a free raised strip but it was really wavy and the strip hid some of my  outer points.  So I sewed the 2nd border to it instead which worked OK. The quilt has turned out square but I think I'm going to have to starch those outer borders and handle them carefully as I quilt them. They are a bit loosey-goosey.

I would re-starch it again before starting on the borders. Anyone else have any suggestions for stabilizing biased edges?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Jan:
My oldest daughter loves pink (she still does at age 35) and loves the randomness of scrappy quilts. She has been hinting lately that she needs a good warm quilt for the winter.  Was going to sit this one out but you have given me the inspiration to straighten and look for the 'strings'

Jan!  I'm tickled to hear that my color scheme inspired you to make a quilt for your daughter!  Many of my strings came from a scrappy quilt i'm working on with blue, green and purple blocks so I was totally surprised when my string worms  said "Pink!!"  There in my stash was enough of a perfect pink-- 2 great fabrics for borders and a fun stripe for the backing.  I love it when Shopping-the-Stash turns up just the right things!

Can't wait to see what you do!  Glad you are joining in--this project is lots of fun!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Tue, Sep 4 2012 8:33 PM

Judy, your talking about the borders reminded me - I used the cuts off the ends of the strips for the top and bottom border, so I could make it longer--I don't like my quilts to be square.  My quilters at the cabin today said they think it needs another border to bring it together--so I will add a dark one outside the orange sides and the scrap triangles, believe they are right, looks a little odd the way it is.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,316
Points 18,480

Carol yours with the orange border and Judy yours with the pink and zig zag are really nice too! I just love these scrappy projects and the way that one set of instructions comes out so many different ways. I cant wait to see what everyone comes up with. I'm going to continue with this for the rest of the night and then tomorrow morning I HAVE to get back to the one I 'should' be working on... I only have until Saturday morning to finish it! I just really needed a "change of scenery". I also wanted to add that this quilt is being made with scraps and FQ from my stash...even the borders and backing will be with fabric I already have.  This will use up a lot of my stash and then I can justify a fabric buying spree...*evil grin*  OK...back to making worms, snakes, tubes....TTFN

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 8:02 AM

I started sewing my strips together last night.  I'm working on a fall colored theme for my mom.  Does anyone have an idea about the number of "worms" you need?  I've started using the leaders & enders idea from B Hunter and am working on a snowman quilt at the same time.  Can't wait to see all the quilts.  Question, I'm feeling like I keep using the same fabrics for these scrappy quilts and wonder if anyone else does.  Should I purchase different fabrics, but then it's not scraps?????

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,316
Points 18,480

Jean- Bonnie Hunter said that she used 42 six inch blocks (set 6x7) and added sashing and borders to come up with 61x 69 lap quilt.  So, it depends on what size you want your blocks and finished quilt to be.  I'm cutting my strips at 5" and am going to just go with the flow. If I need more I'll make them, if I have too many I'll make a pillow or wall hanging.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Page 4 of 11 (164 items) «Prev23456Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use