Diamond Strings

rated by 0 users
This post has 163 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Fri, Aug 31 2012 4:04 PM

Belfrybat - thanks for the reminder about the MSQ demo - that is a good one.  Now, is everyone ready to start?  Bet you've already downloaded the pattern from   Quiltville, and started sewing strips and having fun.  Here is a picture showing the strip, cutting the triangles, and the block.  Like Bonnie says, you can use the papers or not, whichever you like.  I happened to have a lot of strips already sewn together, longer pieces sewn in about 12" wide sets.  That worked well for me to get started  cutting the pieces, and then sewing to the white strips. 

Bonnie suggested you could make them other sized, and I cut mine in six" strips--which made my big blocks of 14 1/2" - only takes 20 to make a good sized quilt~~so  you decide what  size you want for the look you like.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,812
Points 365,772
Kris replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 1:41 AM

Looks good Carol. I like the idea of bigger blocks. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 702
Points 11,565
Bev replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:45 AM

Hi Nana and everyone,

I Just joined and decided to give the string quilt a try. Went to Bonnie's web site and downloade pattern and noticed the trip to Ireland. Wouldn't it be nice ...

if only I could

from TN

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 675
Points 16,985

I couldn't sleep last night so confounded the cats by making the "snakes" (love that term!).  They enjoyed wrapping themselves up in them before I pressed them (snakes, not cats!).  I'm doing 4-1/2" wide which makes an 11" block.  Wished now I'd gone with 5", but I've already got 6 snakes around 50" long already sewn and squared up, so will stick with the 4-1/2".  I'm using unbeached muslin as the other fabric since I already had some on hand and think it will make the quilt look more "old fashioned". 

I'm not using the paper foundation method as I am more comfortable with rotary cutting the strips.  I'll make up a couple of test squares later today and post a pic. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

I'm in, but I will have to wait until September 9th to start.  Can't wait to see all the beautiful quilts come together....

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Sat, Sep 1 2012 7:36 PM

There you go, Belfrybat - you have a good start ~~ fun, isn't it?  The scraps are so much fun I get started and want to keep on sewing, no matter what else needs to be done!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 12:28 AM

Carol

Your blocks are looking so pretty.  Thanks for leading this project for us.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 675
Points 16,985

I have a few blocks done, and all the small squares cut ready to be sewn into blocks -- at least I think I have them all done.  Depends on how large I decide to make the quilt and whether I follow the first pattern with sashings or the baby quilt style at the end of the directions.  Decisions, decisions!

One problem I'm having is my machine is eating the points when I first begin to sew.  It is happening about every third or fourth block. Any ideas on how to prevent that?  It is really frustrating as sometimes it eats it so thoroughly I have trouble getting it out of the feed dogs.  I've ruined two squares completely -- the others I've been able to salvage, but then the points don't line up correctly as one layer has been mangled.  I am using a size 14 needle and changing to a new one didn't help. 

Brigit-Carol

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,812
Points 365,772
Kris replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 6:14 PM

Beautiful blocks Belfry Bat.

Try feeding another piece of fabric through before you feed your blocks through.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 6:25 PM

Belfrybat, your blocks so far are pretty.  Kris is right, a scrap fed through the machine first is the only way I know.  I do  it like Bonnie, and use what she calls "Leaders and Enders" between every block I sew.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

OK--I'm in too!  All strung out is more like it!!   The project for today was making Back-to-School pillowcases for my great-niece and great-nephew.  But I got-uh, distracted--wondering if I could join this project and make a Diamond String quilt.  This Spring I gave 2 garbage bags of what I now know were usable strings to a community fabric cycling fund-raiser.   :o(  So my scrap bag was really string-free.  Sigh. 

Since the group last month off, I've been working on a August independent scrap project--Bricks and Stepping Stones, also from Quiltville.  That generated a few strings and I dug around in my scrap bag and did cut some 2.5" strips which gave me a few more strings along with some other odd bits.  I decided to see how far they would go. 

I have never paper pieced before.  So I signed up for the Craftsy class on paper piecing (25% off this weekend) which has an excellent segment on string quilts which I watched this morning.  And so this afternoon I got to work!

This is so much fun!  I used 7x9  telephone book pages taped together width wise and I ended up with 36 5.5" blocks from my small collection of strings.  I was totally amazed!  

I used my Wonder cut ruler to cut the blocks.  One of my friends just used it for a quilt and had problems with stretching due to the bias edges on the blocks. So I starched my worms before I cut them and that seems be helpful. 

Here are my blocks.  I started with a pin-wheel lay-out but I think I like this better!

Oh--the Back-to-School pillowcases are 2/3 done too!  The post office is closed tomorrow for Labor Day so I have another day to finish them!  :-)

Thanks, Carol, for hosting this project!!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 80
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Belfrybat--I really like your blocks!  I like your primary colors.

Do you happen to have straight stitch plate for your machine?  I have one I use for 1/4" seams and  that solves the machine eating problem.  

You could also start down the block 1/2" from the tip and back-stitch to the tip.  That has worked for me sometimes.  Someone else may have a better idea..,

Belfrybat:

I have a few blocks done, and all the small squares cut ready to be sewn into blocks -- at least I think I have them all done.  Depends on how large I decide to make the quilt and whether I follow the first pattern with sashings or the baby quilt style at the end of the directions.  Decisions, decisions!

One problem I'm having is my machine is eating the points when I first begin to sew.  It is happening about every third or fourth block. Any ideas on how to prevent that?  It is really frustrating as sometimes it eats it so thoroughly I have trouble getting it out of the feed dogs.  I've ruined two squares completely -- the others I've been able to salvage, but then the points don't line up correctly as one layer has been mangled.  I am using a size 14 needle and changing to a new one didn't help. 

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,662
Points 120,300

Judy:

Here are my blocks.  I started with a pin-wheel lay-out but I think I like this better!

Great colors and the design is terrific! This will make an outstanding quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 6,075
Helen replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 9:07 PM

Great looking blocks!  I love you layout Judy, beautiful!!

Helen

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 6,075
Helen replied on Sun, Sep 2 2012 9:07 PM

Great looking blocks!  I love your layout Judy, beautiful!!

Helen

Page 2 of 11 (164 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use