rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:14 PM

Judy & Dogs:
I found the star fabrics which are in character and matched!

The stars are perfect to go with your fabrics.  I was thinking of using some of my fabrics with white background that are in my mix to use as you are using the stars, but I think I will use various whites and creams instead.

Marsha - Western New York

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 786
Points 20,015
Carol replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:14 PM

Mimi -- I like your choices for fabrics, too, your "green" is more yellow than the (shudder) greens they asked for!  My camera battery was low, the the colors didn't come out quite right - the yellows are really golden and I sure like them better than the (shudder) greens!  LOL! The more who do this Mystery, makes it more fun!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:18 PM

Here are what I pulled out today.  I think I have more, but didn't have time to dig deeper. 

There are some white background prints and very pale ones here which I may add to the whites and creams I am planning to use in place of her black and white shirtings.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,817
Points 352,377
Kris replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 7:26 PM

I like all the fabrics choices so far ladies. Well done.

I was out most of the day and now that I'm back in the house I don't feel like playing with fabric (gasp). I think I need a nap.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:03 PM

Judy & Dogs:
I'm also curious to see what your other gray looks like.

Thanks for your input, Judy.  I have decided to use the lighter gray because I really feel as you do that the first one is too dark with all the other colors.  This photo has all the paint chips included with it.  Unfortunately the gray one caught the flash and is much lighter than the true color. But as I was standing on a sewing chest and not looking through the lens, it's a pretty good picture.  The purple next to the gray is not that dark.  Except for some white w/black still to arrive from equilter, I think this is it give or take a few. Didn't have enough in my stash.  (sigh...had to shop...what a burden )

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:07 PM

Marsha-SM:
Here are what I pulled out today.

I really like how light and airy your fabrics feel.  The whites/creams will make it so soft.  It's going to be lovely.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,340
Points 38,910
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:15 PM

Marsha-SM:
I am was a control freak!

Oh Marsha,  You made me laugh.   I know exactly what you mean.  And if I like this quilt enough I may do it in another colorway.  I've got this great background fabric with those sunny colors in it on white.  Boy I wish I didn't have to work full time.  It sure does get in the way of the fun stuff.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Mimi:

This photo has all the paint chips included with it.

Mimi:
This photo has all the paint chips included with it

Mimi--this is a perfect combination!  This gray is just right for your collection of sweet little black on white prints. Love seeing the paint chips tucked into the stacks.  This a going to a beautiful quilt.

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,275
Points 26,990
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Nov 11 2012 7:30 PM

Mimi:

Marsha-SM:
Here are what I pulled out today.

I really like how light and airy your fabrics feel.  The whites/creams will make it so soft.  It's going to be lovely.

I am afraid some of them are too light and airy!  I may have to pull out a few of the lightest or they may get lost.  Will see when the directions come out.  Planned to pull my whites and creams today, but went to grandson's in PA for an early Thanksgiving dinner with oldest daughter's family (at least her 2 airforce sons - middle boy didn't come there).  Grandson who is stationed in Germany had a surprise leave and we finally got to see their 1 yr old son for the first time.  Little Lincoln was amazing - he immediately came to me just after they stepped in the door!  What a surprise - he wasn't shy at all.  The only times he has seen or heard me has been twice on Skype from Germany.  The last time it was 10:00 PM over there and he was very sleepy.  It was a different story when I carried him over to see Rich - he pulled back and buried his face in my shoulder!  Grey-haired old great-grandpas must be scary!!!  We had all our 4 great-grandchildren together - boys 7, 1, and 3 months, and a girl 4.  Didn't get any sewing done today, but this was so much better.  Forgot my camera, so will have to wait for daughter to email pictures to me.

Mimi, I love your fabrics also.  They are much closer to the fabrics Bonnie is using.   I didn't have the black and whites and decided that they would have been too busy with the fabrics I found.  Hope they aren't too light.  I didn't get a chance to get the paint chips, but didn't have many fabrics to choose from, so they will have to do.  This IS supposed to be a scrap quilt and use what you have on hand if possible. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

I just found this thread.  Went to her website and downloaded the instructions.  As I read them, we are to use 14-1/2 yards of fabric?  That seems like a lot for a top, even a large one.  I don't have anything like these colours in my stash, so am debating on whether I can do this or not.  But I'd really like to.  Even though she says this design is not as difficult as her others, I gather from what I've read that it will still be pretty much a challenge?  Do you think a fairly new beginner quilter can manage it? 

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

Carol:

I finally have all my fabrics for the new Bonnie Hunter Mystery - Easy Street sounds good, doesn't it? So here we go again, with two going on at the same time. More fun that way, never a dull moment, right?  I cannot bear to use that shade of green, not  for me!  So, I'm using golden yellows instead.  What do you think?

I really like your fabric choices -- I too can't stand the limey green.  I just found this thread -- I couldn't see anything on the instructions about how many fabrics in each colour family.  Do you think three or four would be enough? 

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 438
Points 8,370
Jan replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:06 AM

I absolutely love the brightness of these suggested fabrics.  I love the purples and teals always.  I have a tiny stash so I would have to go out and purchase all the fabrics for the mystery. My husband is VERY intrigued by the going out and getting the paint chips then picking out fabrics so if we can at all afford it, I will be doing it.  It might have to wait till Christmas.  I am asking the children and grandchildren for gift cards to one of the 3 LQS. DH and I desperately need a new quilt for the bed so hopefully I can make it work.  I will definitely be cheering from the sidelines if not.

Jan in Rochester, NY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

Belfrybat:

I just found this thread.  Went to her website and downloaded the instructions.  As I read them, we are to use 14-1/2 yards of fabric?  That seems like a lot for a top, even a large one.  I don't have anything like these colours in my stash, so am debating on whether I can do this or not.  But I'd really like to.  Even though she says this design is not as difficult as her others, I gather from what I've read that it will still be pretty much a challenge?  Do you think a fairly new beginner quilter can manage it? 

Brigit.  I'm not going to make it as large. I keep changing my mind what fabrics to use. Right now I have two piles. If I can't decide I may use both sets make two small ones. Here are my choices (so far). The second is scrappier. The "constant" fabrics are on the left in each photo. I may change the constant in the 2nd photo to one with less pattern. And I think I'll use more tan quarters in the top. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,600

I have a third pile of fabrics. I may use this one or one of the other two. I really gotta make up my mind before the start date. That top fabric isn't as yellow as it looks. It's a creamy color.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 786
Points 20,015
Carol replied on Wed, Nov 14 2012 11:25 PM

BB--she doesn't say how many pieces of each, but she does give approximate yardages of each color, so you can judge from that.  I just measured my pieces to see if my total yardage was about what she said of each color.  I always end up with extra~~get carried away picking fabrics! 

Page 3 of 6 (79 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use