New Scrappy Project???

rated by 0 users
This post has 78 Replies | 17 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 655

I'm going to finish cutting my FWS this weekend then use up what large enough scraps I have from that as a basis for this one, then raid the FQ stash and go from there. I've also got the modern mystery to finish which I'm using scraps for as an I Spy cot quilt,

Joy

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:39 PM

Kris:
I hope the name describes the process.

I think I will be doing this one too.  In one of the classes I took from her this summer she indicated that this would be an easy quilt.  She knew the last two had been labor intensive.  She said she wanted to get back to fun quilting.  I was thinking hot pink, orange and yellow or the colors she has in the instructions. Not as adventurous as you more experienced sewers.  This will be my first Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. I want to use fabric from my stash as well.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

I'm in! 

I spent the morning digging around in my stash to see if I had fabric for Bonnie's mystery quilt.  I found a nice collection of 1930's orange, purple and green fabrics already bundled together.  I didn't have enough of anything appropriate for the  background.  But this afternoon a quilting buddy and I went shopping at a bargain fabric shop where I found the star fabrics which are in character and matched!  At $2.99 to $3.99 a yard I felt OK about purchasing the 4 yards of background. 

The white will be the "constant" and is actually a tiny white dot on white fabric--like a flat dotted Swiss. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,730

Judy & Dogs

I like your choices. I'm still thinking of using 30's fabric.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Thanks, Judy. 

It would be fun to you working on a 30's quilt too!  I hope you do one!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Fri, Nov 9 2012 10:45 PM

I finally have all my fabrics for the new Bonnie Hunter Mystery - Easy Street sounds good, doesn't it? So here we go again, with two going on at the same time. More fun that way, never a dull moment, right?  I cannot bear to use that shade of green, not  for me!  So, I'm using golden yellows instead.  What do you think?

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:08 AM

Carol:
What do you think?

I like your colors Carol.  I'm glad to see there is another "me" out there doing two MQ's at the same time.  LOL  I know that color green is really bright and not really my style either but I'm really trying to stretch myself.  I've never known a Bonnie Hunter quilt I haven't liked.  Except maybe the ones with all those strips.  Now that's a bit much for me. 

Here are my fabrics so far. My DH works at Lowes and picked up the paint chip cards for me.  The gray in the middle is a lot darker than her sample but I really like the movement in the pattern.  I have a lighter gray if you think it's too much.  All the white with black fabrics have a pure white background even though my pix doesn't show it very well. What do you think?  Should any come out?

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 12:18 AM

Judy & Dogs:
I found a nice collection of 1930's orange, purple and green fabrics already bundled together.

Oh I so love the 30's fabrics .  It's going to be great!  Can't wait to get started.  Thanksgiving weekend is only two weeks away.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 180
Points 2,310
MizPat replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:48 AM

I'm in, too. This makes three quilts at the same time! I just downloaded the intro, so fabric "shopping" is next. I don't know if I have that much black on white print, so maybe a trip to LQS to fill in is in my future, although I'm trying to work from stash as much as possible.

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 180
Points 2,310
MizPat replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:51 AM

How funny, Mimi! I just posted my fabrics for MQ 7 and My greens are more to the olive side, but everything else is the same, purples and turquoises. My fourth color is golds. Guess that means I like your color choices!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:23 AM

Miz Pat,

I just saw your MQ7 fabrics and wondered why I really liked them so much!! LOL  I think like the combination of colors a lot and will be using my lighter gray.  I want to see your combination after you do your stash shopping.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Carol:

I finally have all my fabrics for the new Bonnie Hunter Mystery - Easy Street sounds good, doesn't it? So here we go again, with two going on at the same time. More fun that way, never a dull moment, right?  I cannot bear to use that shade of green, not  for me!  So, I'm using golden yellows instead.  What do you think?

Like your fabrics, Carol.   While Bonnie is using colors next to each other on the color wheel your yellow, across the color wheel from the blues and purples is going to pop!  I like how some of your yellows have pinks and purples in them. And the purples in the blues. Nice. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Mimi--really love all your fabrics--especially the purple with the buildings in it.  As you noted, your whites really look cream in the photo.  And your central "gray" reads as a muddy brown in this photo which doesn't do justice to your other great fabrics.  I like the motion in it--but is it just brown in this photo and really gray in real life??   I'm also curious to see what your other gray looks like.  Other than that central fabric I wouldn't change anything.  And if that central fabric is just suffering from "photo-itis" it's good too!  

Mimi:

Here are my fabrics so far. My DH works at Lowes and picked up the paint chip cards for me.  The gray in the middle is a lot darker than her sample but I really like the movement in the pattern.  I have a lighter gray if you think it's too much.  All the white with black fabrics have a pure white background even though my pix doesn't show it very well. What do you think?  Should any come out?

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 44
Points 655

No Lowes in Oz with paint card (ours is a clothing store) so I got out the Jinny Beyer swatch sample thingy and held the fabrics up to the screen and wrote dow the numbers, now at least I have a rough idea of the colours I need

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,358
Points 28,605
Marsha-SM replied on Sat, Nov 10 2012 6:51 PM

Mimi:
Not as adventurous as you more experienced sewers.  This will be my first Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. I want to use fabric from my stash as well.

This will be my first of her quilts also.  I have enough of the colors she shows except for her neutrals.  I have a med. grey tone-on-tone for my constant and have whites and off-whites that I may use in place of the white w/black shirtings she is using.  This will make a more pastel quilt than I usually do.  I have never had enough fabrics before to do her quilts and didn't want to buy fabrics!!  These quilts are supposed to use up stash and scraps.

Your idea for hot pink, orange and yellow would be a really sunny-looking quilt.  I am becoming more adventurous through these scrap quilts we are doing.  I am was a control freak!

Marsha - Western New York

Page 2 of 6 (79 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use