June Scrappy

rated by 0 users
This post has 87 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Tami!  Great quilt!  Love your swirly Christmas trees!  Awesome!  

And thanks for reminding me I have Christmas June Scrappy. Just went and got it out of the linen closet--tis the season!  :-) 

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 362,017
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 22 2013 7:51 PM

WTG Tami. I love it. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Sun, Dec 22 2013 8:15 PM

Beautiful quilt and quilting Tami!!

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075
Tami Paul replied on Sun, Dec 22 2013 9:23 PM

thanks Judy, Kris and Helen. DH asked what I was going to finish next. haha I told him I am sure I start more than finish. seeing how I am thinking on 3 that I know of for next year and so far behind on the LUS one. It feels great to get one done, but I know there are always so many I want to do. oh and havent even heard about QCA MQ for 2014.... oh I need to win the lottery so I can just stay at home and quilt, knit, etc

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,993
Points 64,400
Robin replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 8:28 AM

I finally finished my scrappy top this week.   I'm sending it to my mom to hand quilt.   I have quilts made by my great grandmother, my grandma and myself but not one from my mom.   She's quilted one for each of her grand children but not her kids.  So I'm very excited to be adding this to my collection.  Love that quilting is apart of my heritage.

Robin

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,465
Points 362,017
Kris replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 11:59 AM

Very nice Robin. I like your borders.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075

well I am not to happy this day. My June scrappy didnt come out of the washer as in went in. The red trees that I used for my quilting, well it bleed all over the white. Not to sure what to do. For the most part the color is uniform, just a couple of small spots I noticed where it is heavier. I was wondering do you think next years christmas colors will lean toward a pink?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765

Tami Paul:

well I am not to happy this day. My June scrappy didnt come out of the washer as in went in. The red trees that I used for my quilting, well it bleed all over the white. Not to sure what to do. For the most part the color is uniform, just a couple of small spots I noticed where it is heavier. I was wondering do you think next years christmas colors will lean toward a pink?

Tami I feel your pain!  I finally finished up my June scrappy by making 2 lap quilts.  The first one came out just fine but the second one had a red backing fabric that bled like a son-of-a-gun all over the yellow swiss dot front!  I noticed blotches on the front when I took it out so I put it through another wash cycle and let it soak in the water while I went scurrying about on New Year's day after 9pm in a small town looking for Color Catchers.  Thankfully I found some.  After 4 washes and half a box of the color catchers I thought it was looking pretty good... until I put the two side by side!  NO more blotches but the red definitely stuck  to the yellow! 

PS The cat thought the couch tent was for him!

Southwest of San Antonio

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075

Sorry to hear that Debbie. Took me a while to see the cat tail. cute. I had to go to work and when I came back the quilt had been dried by one of my boys so dont know if there is hope of getting it out. Last time I had a color leak I looked for those catchers and couldnt find them so I havent even looked. I also worried that if I try some different solutions I have heard of it may start removing some of the color and make it worse. At least I have even color. oh well DH says it still pretty but I really liked the white

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 3:08 PM

You can make your own color catchers.  My Granny used to add Arm & Hammer Washing Soda to all her laundry and she never had any issues with anything bleeding.  She used to soak anything that had bled in a mix of the washing soda and warm water and it would help take out the "stain" of whatever had bled.

Making your own Shout Color Catchers is actually a very simple DIY project with just one piece of fabric, water and one ingredient!

How to make Shout Color Catching Laundry Sheets:

• 10-12 white washcloths OR 12 squares of white felt OR a yard of white fabric
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 tablespoon of washing soda (see below for resources)
Directions for making your own color catchers:
  1. If you’re using washcloths or felt squares cut each in half so they’re roughly 6″ by 12″
  2. Heat the water in a big bowl (a big Pyrex glass measuring cup worked great for this!) for about a minute in the microwave. Stir in the washing soda until it’s fully dissolved.
  3. Toss the fabric in and stir it up with a wooden spoon until all the pieces are soaked. They should all be just a bit moist, not dripping wet. If you need to, add a few more pieces of fabric to soak up the rest of the water.
  4. Hang the pieces to dry. Stack and store the dry fabric pieces near your washing machine.

How to use your homemade Shout color catchers sheets:

Add one of your homemade color catcher sheets to any mixed laundry load. Be sure to use your regular detergent and any other additives like Oxiclean or fabric softener.

If any dye from the clothes your washing bleeds into the water, your homemade color catcher will “trap” the dye molecules and keep them from bleeding on to the lighter fabrics!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075

thanks Susie, I had seen that on line. But I am afraid that it will only remove some of it and make it worse. Also there is a soaking issue with such a large blanket. I have a HE front load so cant use the washer for that

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Fri, Jan 3 2014 4:18 PM

Your quilt came out great Robin!!

Debbie and Tami I think most of us have one quilt that had a color run.  Sorry this happend to you Tami and Debbie.   Debbie your quilts are so lovely!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,075

I suppose Helen. Guess just be lucky it was for me and not a gift

Page 6 of 6 (88 items) «Prev23456
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use