Step 3 July Scrappy

rated by 0 users
This post has 211 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Jean:

Ok I am finally finished putting all the squares togehter.  It's not as bad as  thought it was going to be.  Now my question is borders.  I'm thinking maybe a light green thin and then a wide burgandy (sp).  But I sure am open to suggestions.

I like your idea--I think it would look great.  I could also see thin light green with wider orange outer border.  Maybe I just have sherbet on my mind!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 9:34 PM

Ginny L:

Hi Ginny,

I agree with Nana, a dark border would finish this up very nicely.  My suggestion is the blue square near the border on the left side of this pic.  You have several squares this color and it wouldn't be so dark to overpower the lights in the top, but still dark enough to make the quilt sparkle.  Let us know what you decide!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 12:04 AM

Jean,

Really like how your scrappy quilt came together!   I vote for a narrow light green, then a wider dark green.

Max

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 12:27 AM

Yay!, I finally finished my scrappy quilt tonight, but it is waaaay too late to take photos.  I didn't think the blocks for this quilt would ever get beyond the UFO pile, but the idea for the layout literally came to me one day (it was the pattern on Friday, July 20 on my Quilting calendar!).  I did some tweaking here and there and now the quilt is ready for the FO pile.

Photos will happen tomorrow; bedtime now.

Sheila in Montana

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 680
gwen replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:43 AM

The more pics I see of this quilt, the more I love them.  While I was creating this quilt I felt, for the first time, like I was making a TRUE quilt.  You know, like quilts of yester years made of neccessity from whatever was on hand. Only difference is my 'scraps' are still quality pieces from  'left over' fabric (bought too much).  Looking forward to next project but happy to have time to finish off this one.

Donna:  I remember a post from Nana saying she needed August to catch up and prepare for a retreat.  Hopefully September?

Jean: Love it!!  I HAVE to make a cheerful quilt one day.  I would  absolutely finish yours with bright green (lime dare I say)  and bright orange borders.  Oh yes!!  Do it!!!   Inspire me!!!   

To all:   More photos!!!

Nana:  Enjoy the break....but don't leave us hanging too long!!!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 680
gwen replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 8:48 AM

Oh, and

Ginny:  I recognize fabric you used in MQ6 in your scrappy!!  I would go with a dark border added on to existing polka dot border.  I've never seen a quilt border in black...would that be too dark?  Interesting idea...

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 3:06 PM

Here is my scrappy; I call it purple wildflowers because of the daisies around the borders and the wonky flower pantograph I designed for the body of the quilt.  The beauty of these scrappy quilts is that any color can be used for sashings and borders, and I used purple only because it was the color my hand landed on when I closed my eyes and jabbed at my stash!  Half of the blocks I left au natural, and the other half were chopped up on the diagonal and a border added to them.  Very simple and I am pleased with the result.

• Post Points: 200
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 3:20 PM

Very nice Sheila...I really like your idea on this!  I may have to "borrow"  this for mine...whenever I get back to it...LOL.

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 4:00 PM

Beautiful!!!  Love the purple!  You did a great job!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,538
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 4:06 PM

Sheila!  You did a great job on it!  I doesn't look scrappy--it looks planned out!  I so hope mine comes close to that when I get it finished.  And I love your quilting.  The way the flowers on the border pop up really looks awesome!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,285
MizPat replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 4:46 PM

Hi Sheila,

What a wonderful quilt!  I'm not just saying that because purple is one of my favorite colors, but because the quilt is superb.  Your quilting adds so much to the impact of the quilt.  I love it!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 5:59 PM

Sheila I really like your design.  Who would have thought to do that?  Love it.

I think I'll try the green and orange/sherbert.  I'll have to go get some fabric (oh, dear!), but right now my DH just had surgery on his achilles heel and is not able to put any weight on that foot for 4 weeks minimum.  My shopping for it may have to wait till next week when I go back to work and can get to the store.  I guess I'll work on some other projects that are patiently waiting for me.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:00 PM

Donna B:

Very nice Sheila...I really like your idea on this!  I may have to "borrow"  this for mine...whenever I get back to it...LOL.

Since I "borrowed" the design from my Quilting calendar, I guess you can copy me, too!  Very rarely do I use a planned pattern because I don't like someone else telling me what to do (LOL!) but this time I took the easy way out; must be the summer heat getting to me!

Sheila from MT

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,673
Points 65,760
Bonita replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:25 PM

Shelia, beautiful quilt and your quilting is perfect for it.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Thu, Jul 26 2012 6:51 PM

Beautiful work Sheila, the sashing, layout and borders are great.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Page 9 of 15 (212 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use