Step 3 July Scrappy

rated by 0 users
This post has 211 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

MizPat

Not to worry!!  Go back and look at my response--I definitely took it as a complement.

When I posted my quilt photo, those were early days in Scrappy July.  I think that few of us were confident that our odd-lot squares were going to end up as great quilts! But we've done it--lot's of beautiful quilts have appeared from our scraps.

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 12:05 PM

I put a border on , kinda like it, I don't know if I'll be adding any more or not, depends on what I find.  I really like looking at it, thinking about all the quilts it represents.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 12:07 PM

Everyone's quilts a looking great.  You have each done a wonderful job.   And I know that it was  a lot harder for some of you than others.  I hope that someday all of you can catch the scrappy fever....LOL>  

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 7,270
lcqultr46 replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 2:11 PM

Donna B:
Your and Marge P's blocks ended up 10 1/4" and 10 1/2"?  I can't believe it!!!!

Hi Donna B. I don't know about Marge but with me, I messed up and made the same direction cut on two or three blocks on the second cut,, in a hurry as ususal. Rather than sew another strip on those I just cut them all down to 11"  which resulted in the 10.5" blocks after the diagonal cuts and sewing back together. I really love the way everyone's scrappys look but, like you,  I  have to experiment with different settings. I'm just excited I fininshed Nana's row today and I love how it turned out. Just hope she does.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 3:54 PM

lcqultr46:

Donna B:
Your and Marge P's blocks ended up 10 1/4" and 10 1/2"?  I can't believe it!!!!

Hi Donna B. I don't know about Marge but with me, I messed up and made the same direction cut on two or three blocks on the second cut,, in a hurry as ususal. Rather than sew another strip on those I just cut them all down to 11"  which resulted in the 10.5" blocks after the diagonal cuts and sewing back together. I really love the way everyone's scrappys look but, like you,  I  have to experiment with different settings. I'm just excited I fininshed Nana's row today and I love how it turned out. Just hope she does.

Hi Judy...Thanks for the explanation but you still do a beautiful job!  I think Marge P said something about uneven seams...which sounds like me...I must be the queen of uneven seams...lol. Marge P is miles ahead of me in quilting skills!

I'm sure Nana will love the row you are doing for her.  I started Jacy's row yesterday and it is changing by the hour-literally.  I make a little progress and then think of something else that (I think) will work much better.  Luckily, this is all on the design wall, so no unstitching...yet!  I hope she will like it too!  It's almost as bad as a landscape quilt...it keeps talking to me and it won't shut up...LOL!

Off to Seattle tomorrow morning for surgery follow-up appt and a dental appt on Wednesday, so no machine quilting until Thursday for me.  But, I will take along some handwork to keep me busy in the evenings.

Winthrop, WA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Ginny L.  I like the polka dots with your scrappy July which looks Modern to me.  You might think about adding another border which is bold or dark.  I like what you have so far but I'd recommend you go one more step!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,981
Points 368,897
Kris replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 8:20 PM

Donna B:
I finally finished all 30 blocks but haven't decided how I am going to use them. 

Your blocks looks really good Donna.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985
MaxNTopeka replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 12:02 AM

Ginny,

I really like your quilt!  The turquoises and blues really unify the 'busy-ness' of the scraps. Very very nice!  A

Are you thinking about adding an additional border outside the light colored polka dots? You have lots of dotted fabrics in the scraps. Do you maybe have a dark blue polka dotted fabric you would pin down the side to audition it? I think you might like how it would look.  Or a dark red, maybe?

Max

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 3:44 AM

Thanks Max and Judy,  I don't think it looks finished yet either, but so far nothing I've tried looks right.  I may have to make a scrappy border ?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 6:22 AM

Ginny

I think if you add a really dark outer border you will find that you like the look.   It will frame the quilt.  It is really looking beautiful.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 6:39 AM

I love this quilt, and agree that it has a thoroughly modern look. I even recognize some of the fabrics as those I have in my stash! I am really looking at my stash in a new way after seeing the results of these scrappy quilts.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 9:46 PM

Kris:

Donna B:
I finally finished all 30 blocks but haven't decided how I am going to use them. 

Your blocks looks really good Donna.

Thanks Kris,

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,552
Points 47,805

I did not do this project and haven't been around much lately. Life has been very hectic! However, all of those who have posted pics did great. I am so impressed with your layouts! I finished the June project and MQ6, but haven't had time to quilt them. So what else is new, LOL Anyway, great job ladies and gents.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Wed, Jul 25 2012 8:37 PM

Ok I am finally finished putting all the squares togehter.  It's not as bad as  thought it was going to be.  Now my question is borders.  I'm thinking maybe a light green thin and then a wide burgandy (sp).  But I sure am open to suggestions.

• Post Points: 35
Page 8 of 15 (212 items) «Prev678910Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use