Step 3 July Scrappy

rated by 0 users
This post has 211 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,317
Points 18,415
erindipity replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 12:49 PM

The darker border looks really nice; she should love it!

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 680
gwen replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 4:34 PM

Donna:  WOW!!!   So stunning...I absolutely love this border...it really finishes off nicely...a tad jealous!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 4:48 PM

Thank you all.  I totally agree.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,380
Debi replied on Sat, Jul 21 2012 6:44 PM

I have finished sewing my blocks together and wondered what you used as the "frame" border. I am thinking 2.5" strips, then for the outside border a piano key with 2.5"x8.5" strips. I didn't think I was going to like this one, it's way outside my box and I had no control. But, I love it and can't wait to finish it. My brother has been in and out of the hospital for a month with different things and I want to surprise him. Guess I better get busy!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 12:05 PM

I finally finished all 30 blocks but haven't decided how I am going to use them.  I may end using these as a charity quilt, but will need to get the specific size our EMT ambulance unit wants first.  They may end up in two smaller quilts.

This was a little "too" scrappy for me, but a good learning experience - and sure uses up a lot of scraps...LOL!  I much preferred the June Scrappy...love that quilt top!  

Thanks Nana for hosting this...and for pushing us (you know we need it...lol)  Who knows, this scrappy thing may grow on me! 

But for right now, I have a Leavenworth quilt row that is calling to me, plus a few other projects that have been sitting for almost a year that I really need to get working on. 

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 5:36 PM

When do we get a new project???????????????????????????

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 379
Points 6,695
Helen replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 6:51 PM

Donna B, I really like the colors in your scrappy.  The more I look at everyones blocks the more I like them.  I actually may finish mine and keep it.

Yes, thanks Nana so much.  Look forward to the next scrappy!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 7:19 PM

lcqultr46:
I did diagonals for the third cut and then sewed together.

JudyE - I really like your layout.  I have cut and sewn mine for the last time and ended up 10 1/4" squares -never have been able to be consistent with my seams! Oh well, too late now.

Now to figure out how to lay them out.  I am thinking of a hourglass type pattern but don't know if it will work out.  Time will tell.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 7:27 PM

Donna B:
I finally finished all 30 blocks but haven't decided how I am going to use them.  I may end using these as a charity quilt, but will need to get the specific size our EMT ambulance unit wants first.  They may end up in two smaller quilts.

Good going, Donna for getting these blocks done.  I am sure Aero Methow would love to have a couple quilts for future transports.  I really had fun doing these and am glad that I stuck with getting at least the blocks done. Need to do some playing around with the layoutnext.

I have enjoyed looking at all the pictures that have been posted.  My computer hard drive failed after last Sunday's storm and has been at the computer Doctor in Omak all week.  They were turned off but mine (only 2 years old) took a hit and lee's is fine.  So I haven't posted any pictures of my blocks, or the three simple baby quilts for DGGD who is due in Sept or the jelly roll quilt for DIS.  Hopefully things will be calmed down in a week or so and I can get them downloaded.  Glad I have the laptop or I would be climbing the walls.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 7,270
lcqultr46 replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 7:32 PM

Marge P:

lcqultr46:
I did diagonals for the third cut and then sewed together.

JudyE - I really like your layout.  I have cut and sewn mine for the last time and ended up 10 1/4" squares -never have been able to be consistent with my seams! Oh well, too late now.

Now to figure out how to lay them out.  I am thinking of a hourglass type pattern but don't know if it will work out.  Time will tell.

Thanks Marge. I did HST's for mine, that's how the setting triangles came about around the sixteen patch scrappy 10.5 squares. I was thinking about the hourglass too, but decided I liked the look so quit while I was ahead.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 9:34 PM

Marge P:
Good going, Donna for getting these blocks done.  

Thanks Marge,  I really wanted to get this done before I moved on to the othe projects I had waiting for "immediate" attention...lol!  One other  reason I set them aside was that I knew it was going to take me awhile to decide on the layout.  As with you, Judy EE's layout seemed to jump out to me...but I knew it would take me awhile...so it was going to have to wait.

Sorry about your pc...that was some storm last Sunday!  Believe it or not, we didn't have any of what you had near Twisp and Patti had in Malott.  We could see this huge black cloud down valley (looked like it was night-time down there)!  It will come back as good as new (I hope)!

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 9:49 PM

HI JudyE, as I just said to Marge I really liked the layout for your scrappy quilt.  I am not really a "scrappy" girl, so laying these blocks out 5 wide by 6 down just wasn't working for me.  Your quilt really caught my eye...I love it!  But, I know it will take me awhile to come up with a layout that I will be happy with, so it needs to go into the UFO pile for awhile. 

Your and Marge P's blocks ended up 10 1/4" and 10 1/2"?  I can't believe it!!!!  I actually managed to end up with 11" and thought I had really failed in the piecing category...lol.  Now, I don't feel so bad. Thanks for making my day!!!  (I have to confess - on a few blocks I ended up putting a strip into them to get up to size.)

Have a great week everyone...

Winthrop, WA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 2,350
MizPat replied on Sun, Jul 22 2012 10:48 PM

Judy:

MizPat:
I love the sailing-themed borders, Judy.  It gives definition to a quilt that could so easily been OK and made it OH WOW!

That's quite the complement!  Thanks MizPat!!

Love all the comments from everyone!  Glad you folks like the idea of the borders!

Judy,

I hope I didn't offend you with my comment.  I just realized, reading it again, how that could have been taken as a negative remark, when I meant it in a very positive way.  The quilt is good-looking, even before the borders, but with the borders it really sparkles.  I really meant OH WOW!

in Albuquerque

It's Quilting! You're supposed to be having fun!

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 10,645
Tami Paul replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 9:46 AM

Hi, love everyone's pics, they are coming out really nice. Some of them I look at and think they would look really good with tied quilting ( just like grandma use to make). But I still havent got mine done or sure what I want to do with it. Been working in the garden a lot lately. between the rain storms and then heat then back to rain the weeds have moved on in and trying to take over. But my plan is to get some cleaning done and then mess with the quilts this afternoon/ evening. I can beleive July is almost over I really need to get working on these projects....

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,580
Points 23,980
Susie replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 10:13 AM

I cut mine again--into quarters.  I'll sash them in green on one side & ??? on the other side.  Leaning towards a black on black tone.  Kind of a modified cathedral windows.

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish this one up this week.  We'll see how I feel when I get home from work each night.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Page 7 of 15 (212 items) «Prev56789Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use