Step 3 July Scrappy

rated by 0 users
This post has 211 Replies | 26 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana Posted: Sat, Jul 14 2012 9:01 PM

If you are happy with your blocks the way they are you can start joining them together with 5 blocks per row and 6 rows.  If you would like for the blocks to have smaller pieces then continue doing the same cutting procedures until you reach the desired effect.  Each set of cuttings will decrease your block size by 1 inch.  I was happy with my blocks after the first cuttings so I have sewn my blocks together and am working on borders.   For some reason I still haven't taken a pic of the top but will post one as soon as I can get some help holding it.

Just have fun with your blocks and play away.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 95
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Nana:
Just have fun with your blocks and play away.

Nana,

Thanks for Step 3!   

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,149
Points 15,745
Erin replied on Sat, Jul 14 2012 11:05 PM

Thanks Nana! I'm enjoying this scrappy since I got over the fear of the first cuts..lol

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 417
Points 10,440
Donna replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 9:56 AM

I am not sure if I want to cut mine some more or just put it together.  I am not really happy with the way it looks, but not sure if cutting it would help.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:26 AM

I think I'm going to cut at least one more time.  Should I cut just one way or do both of the steps again?  Then if I still don't like it, I'll put it away for another time.  Nana, I did enjoy working on this, maybe it was my colors and patterns.  Look forward to working on another scrappy soon.  thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 10:58 AM

Jean

If you decide to cut again you will need to do both of the steps again.  Otherwise your square won't be square...LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 3,865
Debi replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:07 AM

Thanks Nana, I think I will keep going.  I like the the scrappy look and you can still see spiderman! I will go at least one more cut. Same deal, find the center and cut?

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 302
Points 7,045
lcqultr46 replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:26 AM

Nana:
Just have fun with your blocks and play away
Thanks Nana. I ended up making about 40 blocks because I got carried away with my chain piecing. I've picked out about twenty that I like the look of after step two and will put those together four by five for a smaller quilt and then do step three on the remaining twenty, hoping to do something different with them. It's been lots of fun slashing.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:39 AM

I'm thinking I will cut each block 1 time, sew them,  then 1 more time the other direction, where I still have some big pieces. I'm babysitting now, but will try it later.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 1:51 PM

Okay, nana thanks.  Will try tonight.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 2:17 PM

This is my completed Scrappy Garden quilt.

I generally use quilts like this as my utility quilts.  I can put them in the car to use as a picnic quilt, ballgame quilt, just throw on the ground quilt, etc,     I also like to use this type of quilt for practicing new free motion quilting techniques.   I don't care so much if the quilting isn't perfect.   This is a top that I will just have fun with and got to use up a bunch of my scraps that were just taking up space.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,479
Points 21,770
Susie replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 2:43 PM

Oh boy...I have to do SOMETHING to mine.  I really hate them the way they are.  I think I'm going to put them all into HSTs and then intermix solids to make a scrappy pinwheel.  Cuz I really, really dislike the pieces I have.  They are just too out there wild & mis-matched for me.  Darn it...and I was trying soooo hard to let it just really go scrappy.  Well, at least I used up a TON of my middle-size pieces.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 417
Points 10,440
Donna replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:40 PM

Susie,  I feel the same way about mine.  Not sure what to do with them.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Nana,

It your quilt looks great!  I like you earthy tones.  It's fun to see the way colors play out in folks scrappy quilts!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,149
Points 15,745
Erin replied on Mon, Jul 16 2012 4:35 PM

Looks great Nana! I love the "scrapiness" of  this quilt and took 12 of the blocks and made a top, I love it! Once I get borders on it I will post a pic. I'll make 6 more blocks so that I can get 3 tops from July. I think the next time I do this pattern I will color coordinate more so that they will be more gender specific. I want to make some for the cancer center I went to as well as for the veterans too.

Thanks again Nana for taking the time to post these instructions. Your time and efforts have helped me to practice and get more comfortable with quilting.

Good day!

Erin

Nana:

This is my completed Scrappy Garden quilt.

I generally use quilts like this as my utility quilts.  I can put them in the car to use as a picnic quilt, ballgame quilt, just throw on the ground quilt, etc,     I also like to use this type of quilt for practicing new free motion quilting techniques.   I don't care so much if the quilting isn't perfect.   This is a top that I will just have fun with and got to use up a bunch of my scraps that were just taking up space.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 15 (212 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use