This post has 54 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 78
Points 2,940
Sheila replied on Tue, Jul 10 2012 1:53 PM

Judy:

Susie:
My concern isn't the size of the pieces, but the hunks of seams underneath.

Susie--I was wondering about that too.  They do mostly seem to lie flat when I use steam to press the blocks.  But I am considering quilting this on a long arm at a not-so-local quilt store that rents machine time.  My recollection is that the long arm has a heavier duty needle than my domestic machine.  

I ironed all my seams open, so not too bad with seams building up.  Yeah, yeah, I know "they" say not to iron your seams open, but I have found no problems doing it this way.  Just use a shorter stitch length than what you would normally do and they are just as sturdy.  Try it and your home sewing machine will be smiling, your longarm quilter will love you, and the quilt police can go jump in a lake!

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Sheila:
I ironed all my seams open, so not too bad with seams building up.  Yeah, yeah, I know "they" say not to iron your seams open, but I have found no problems doing it this way.  Just use a shorter stitch length than what you would normally do and they are just as sturdy.  Try it and your home sewing machine will be smiling, your longarm quilter will love you, and the quilt police can go jump in a lake!
d

Sheila, you are too funny!  Great visual about the quilt police!  I expect there isn't a single quilt police person anywhere near this Scrappy Quilt group!  I think we are safe!!
Thanks for the suggestion of using a smaller stitch length.  I like the prospect of not having to spend the money on the long arm!

Judy

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 391
Points 4,895
Kristie replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 8:42 AM

Ok, I'm behind a step- but since they are so similar, I might be able to catch up.  It'll be interesting to see where this goes- I'm going to just let go and see what happens.  (if I keep saying that, maybe it will happen!)  :)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Jul 12 2012 4:08 PM

Thank you Nana, going to get right to it

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 466
Points 7,440

Here are 12 of my Scrappy blocks after step 2 cutting. Decided going to make two quilts with fifteen blocks each and than donate it.

Pat B from Southern California

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

Pat Badder--your blocks look great!  Aren't the itty bitty blocks fun!

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 183
Points 3,870
Debi replied on Thu, Jul 12 2012 8:26 PM

I am done with step two as well, once you get started, it's hard to stop. Can't wait for step 3. Bring it on Nana!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Jul 12 2012 10:35 PM

Pat, your blocks look great. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420
erindipity replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 12:59 PM

Everyone is being so quiet!  I keep checking thinking that I'm missing something but then realize that everyone is probably doing what I am doing; catching up on UFO's and waiting for the next step. I'm going to attempt to make make a pillow sham today...wish me luck!

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,495
Christine replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 1:42 PM

Good Luck!  I am trying to find time to finish step 2, let alone any UFO's.  LOL!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 433
Points 11,120
Donna replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 5:43 PM

Nana, are we suppose to square up to 11 1/2 when we are finished with the cuts?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 8:05 PM

Donna

Yes you can square up to 11 1/2 in once this step is completed.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 5,995
PennyWyo replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 9:43 PM

I'm pretty quiet everyone because I just can't find the time to respond to everything but believe me, I am seeing all the posts.  Anyway, you would be proud of me, Nana, NO CONTROL.  I saved that for my husband (hee, hee).  So here are my scrappy blocks so far.  Sounds like that may be the end of the cuts since we are squaring up? 

Penny

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 345
Points 5,995
PennyWyo replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 9:50 PM

Well that's the strangest one I've seen.  My picture did not post on the copy sent to my e-mail but it showed up if I went and looked at the post on QCA.  I think that happened to someone else to because I remember seeing a post that referenced their picture that did not show.  Oh well!

Penny

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420
erindipity replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 11:16 PM

Everyone's blocks are looking great. I'll start squaring mine up in the morning. After sewing for about 6 hours today I decided that it was time to fight with dust bunnies and cleaned the whole downstairs. Laundry, dishes, windows, dusting, vacuuming and mopping. I take a shower and get a phone call from one of my DIL's asking if we can watch Mary Jo tomorrow and Sunday. The housekeeping Gods do not want my house clean I guess..LOL

I found a block that I want to try out, it's called Bento Box. It looks pretty cool and you can use scraps...I enjoy the looks of scrappy's because no two are alike. I will work on it after we finish up July Scrappy.

Well, it's bedtime for me. Good night all.

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 50
Page 2 of 4 (55 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use