STEP 1 JULY SCRAPPY

rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Sat, Jul 7 2012 2:52 PM

Whew...I feel better knowing that I cut them right size...I will go ahead and finish the other 15 now! I just didn't want to ruin all 30 blocks if I was cutting them wrong.

102 degrees with 110 heat index right now. I am not leaving this sewing room for nothing; I'm going to sew until I pass out tonight. LOL

Marge P:

Erin:
What I ended up with (I think..lol) was two 3 1/4" strips and one 6 inch...and when sewn back together they were not 12.5..The only thiing that I am sure of...they WILL be super scrappy!! :) I'm sure I am just over thinking it and making myself fret for nothing!

Erin - you are right, 2 -  3 1/4" strips and a 6"strip.  I ended up using my 4" x 14" ruler and just measured and cut a 3 1/4" strip from each side and it worked fine with the remainder being 6" wide.  I did sew all mine back together and they definitely are scrappy and I really enjoyed the exercise.  I am sure we will do a similar thing next time but willl be cutting the 12 1/2" side rather than the 11 1/2" side that has the new seams.  Could easily be wrong but am having fun.  I also imagine this would be a good quilt to use sashing and cornerstones to kind of separate the scrappy blocks.

Congrats to you Erin on your "cancer free" report.  I am sure you are extremely relieved and I wish you a bright and happy future.  Having cancer definitely does teach one to live each day fully, not sweat the small things and be very appreciative of what you do have.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 11:07 AM

I'm going to be running behind on the July Scrappy this month.  I finally got all of my July blocks finished yesterday afternoon.  I was very glad that I moved my "quilt studio" to the basement as it was much cooler and more comfortable.  It will probably be next week before I start Step 1 as I will be traveling to Seattle tomorrow for minor surgery to remove a cyst from my spine.  I hope to be back home by late Thursday, but may need a few more day for recovery.

The benefit for me is that I will be able to see all of your progress before I start mine...LOL!

I will be taking the Craftsy BOM dresden plate block along to hand applique and just hoping that I will be able to accomplish that during this week.  Hand applique is not my favorite thing, but sometimes I force myself.  IMHO this block seemed to need it.

Winthrop, WA

• Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 12:23 PM

Will be thinking of you DonnaB. Hope you heal quickly and are back in the game soon!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 680
gwen replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:01 PM

Erin, had to laugh when I read you were terrified to cut your blocks.  Reminds me of the 'Magic Tiles' class I took.  Similar to this project we chopped and diced our poor blocks four times!!! And added 'grout' inbetween rows.  I drove my poor instructor over the wall...I wouldn't believe her ...all her 'it doesn't have to match' , don't bother squaring up your blocks  (say what!!??)  much like Nana says.   By the end of the day she was exsasperated with me...  but needless to say the results were awesome and I've made three since!!!   We must 'trust Nana' and soldier on!!!    I must confess as I was putting these blocks together I was thinking..."Who is this Nana anyways...and can I really trust her?" !!!              

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 2:12 PM

gwen:
Who is this Nana anyways...and can I really trust her?" !!!  

Nope.... I wouldn't trust a thing she says....ROFLOL.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 6,720

It took me a few days to get to my 30 blocks.  I finished and quilt I was working on and  my LQS is having a big July sale on everything and had some machines on sale 50- 75% off so I went to have a look.  Not that I need anything.... I came away with some fabric but no machines.  I did look at the Baby Lock "Grace" 40 stitch machine.  Sweet.  Could be a good starter machine for my 30 something godchild who has 2 little kids.  Waiting to hear if she even wants a sewing machine... or not!

I read the instructions for the first cut on the July Scrappy after a really busy day at work and decided I needed to wait until I was wide awake!!  I got it figured out and then saw the note about cutting two 3.5" strips which was even easier than marking the block centers. (Thanks folks)!  I got them cut and sewn back together today.  I like them. They now have some really thin/tiny pieces in them. 

Quilting with 3 dogs in Massachusetts

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 286
Points 26,315

Nana, this month's projecti s calling me and it is taking every ounce of self control for me not to put everything aside and start this.

I really CANNOT succomb to this temptation.  I have two quilts and a pair of pillow shams that I must complete before August 15.  One is a 50th birthday gift and the other is a wedding gift.

I also need to go back to the dungeon and finish the June scrappy which turned into the back for this year's graduation CQ.  This was a challenge because they were different sizes and I needed to make June grow taller and my CQ had to become wider so that the two would work together in the same quilt.  This is done and I am almost done quilting it and then I can put the binding on.  The grad party is Saturday and the mother of the recipient has assured me not to "kill" myself trying to get it finished for the party.  She leaves for college August 24 and as long as she has it before then, that would be fine but I really want to get it to her before the party.  I think her mom wants to hang it as a decoration.  The colors will be very cheerful.

I am storing your instructions in my favorites and will come back to this when I find a spare moment.  Just not now.  But I wanted you to know that you have presented a challenge I really want to step up to.

I really don't need additional temptations, but do you have an August project in mind?

Darlene

from Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,472
Points 24,135

Darlene, I am having the same problem trying not to set aside everything else to do this project. I have yet to complete MQ6, and the June Scrappy. And trying to finish blocks for the Amish retreat. I, too, am saving all the instructions for this quilt and will do it sometime in the future. This is a great way to get rid of scraps, which I have an abundance of.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,720
Nana replied on Sun, Jul 8 2012 11:49 PM

Darlene and Elaine

I think you will be able to take a breather in August.   I really need to get all my rows for the Washington retreat completed as well as several other projects that are in the works.  My just have to take a breather myself....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 934
Points 15,780
Marge P replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 1:38 AM

Donna B:
It will probably be next week before I start Step 1 as I will be traveling to Seattle tomorrow for minor surgery to remove a cyst from my spine.  I hope to be back home by late Thursday, but may need a few more day for recovery.

Donna, positive thoughts and prayers going over the mountains to you for your surgery.  Glad you had that MRI and that they have found your source of pain.  Take it easy and will talk to you when you get back.

I think your idea of hand appliqueing the July blocks is a good one.  I may do the same thing when I get them made up.

Take care!

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 5:35 AM

Good luck with your surgery.  Take it slow.

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 332
Points 6,000
Helen replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 9:27 AM

Marge and Donna I am sending prayers both your ways!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:24 AM

Thanks Marge,  I will be glad when this is over!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 11:25 AM

Thanks Helen,

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 567
Points 10,060

Best wishes Donna on your surgery

Okay so I messed up and didnt have the memory card in when I took the first pic of my blocks, so here is a shot after the first cut or step 1 , how ever you want to look at it. I would say I agree with others that we are going to flip and do the other directions on the next step, but I tend to guess wrong

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Page 4 of 6 (85 items) «Prev23456Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use