STEP 1 JULY SCRAPPY

rated by 0 users
This post has 84 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana Posted: Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:41 AM

Find the center of your block.   Lay a ruler on the block with the 3 in line over the center of the block.   Now cut the strip on the right side of the ruler and lay this in stack one.   Now you will need to turn your ruler so that you can cut the left side of the block.   Again lay the ruler with the 3 in line on the original center line of your block.   Cut the "left" segment off of the block and lay in stack two.   Place the center section in stack three.    Continue this process until you have cut all your blocks.    Now lay stack one right side up, stack two wrong side up, and take about 4 pieces of stack three and place on the bottom of the stack.   This helps to keep you from sewing the segments back to the same original block segments.

Now sew the segments from stack one to the segments from stack two.   Now sew this combo to the stack three segments.

You have now completed this step.  Don't worry about trying to square your blocks at this time.

Block with the ruler 3 in line on the center so that the right side can be cut.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:45 AM

Yea!!!, Now I wish I wasn't at work so that I could get started.  Thanks Nana.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:49 AM

Block turned so that the ruler can be placed to cut the next strip.   Again the 3 in line should be on the original center of the block.

This shows the segments in stacks and ready to sew.  Stack one if right side up, stack two is wrong side up and stack three is right side up with 4 to 5 strips from the top removed and placed on the bottom.   Now sew stack one to stack two then sew these combos to stack 3.

This step is now complete.  Press your blocks but don't worry about squaring them up.    Now take a deep breathe and we will continue next week.   Have fun.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:51 AM

Don't try to match seams.  99% of the time they won't match.    If a cut falls on a seam line make the cut anyway.  It won't matter in the end.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 10:04 AM

If when we are sewing the stacks together, should we try not to have the same fabric next to each other?  I'm thinking this could occur if we used the same fabric in different squares.

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 12:00 PM

Jean

I occasionally switched strips if I picked up one with lots of the same fabrics but not always.   These blocks will get cut again.   Don't stress too much just sew and relax.

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,380
Debi replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 12:23 PM

THANKS Nana!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,330
Points 18,765

Thanks Nana- I will get started on these this evening, after the grand daughter goes home. I don't like to use the rotary cutter when she is here, she is too quick to grab.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,583
Points 24,040
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 1:27 PM

Whew...and I thought my blocks were colorful before!  I can't wait to get home and start cutting them up.  My kids will really think I've gone to the dark side!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 2:06 PM

Thanks, Nana.  Can't wait to get started.  It looks like this will be fun.  4:30 can't come quick enough!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 4:59 PM

I came home from babysitting the grandkids,and got excited that the new directions were posted. I went upstairs to get started and forgot I had taped my  quilt back to the floor, so I'd be 1 step ahead when I got home, so now had to finish my sandwich before I could start.  Glad it was only a baby quilt.  So now I've cut my blocks, and of course had to sew a few to see how they turn out.  These things are like potato chips, can't stop at one or two! 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 437
Points 11,330
Donna replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 5:05 PM

Am I wrong, or is this process just making the blocks "more" scrappy?  I guess I am having trouble seeing the purpose of this. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 262
Points 5,185
Ginny L replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 5:12 PM

I think more cutting and more sewing = more fun!  Plus it hasn't cost me anything (yet)!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 182
Points 2,520

This may be a dumb question, but when we cut to three stacks, and then sew, we sew to the sides we just cut (but with a different strip than was cut)?  I haven't cut one yet, just looking at the instructions.....

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 4,380
Debi replied on Thu, Jul 5 2012 6:23 PM

I started and couldn't stop! I am finished with all 30 blocks, sliced, diced, stacked, sewn, and ironed waiting for next week! My blocks are approximately 11.5 by 12.5. I am so anxious to see what's next! BUT, I have so many other projects that are screaming for attention. I must get busy...craftsy BOM, Facebook block party, Boxy Stars, and Farmer's wife, just to name a few! That doesn't include the UFO's that are sitting on the long arm waiting for me to quilt them! Sew much fun, so little time :-(

Page 1 of 6 (85 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use