http://db.tt/FhHx8IMF

Here a my first 4 blocks

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:31 PM

Can anyone explain to me how to upload pictures from an iPad. I can only upload my Dropbox link. 

• Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Very pretty blocks and colors Annie. The only way I can get a picture from my ipad to QCA is to upload them to my desktop or laptop and then post from there. I can read QCA with my ipad but not post...is there an app for that? LOL We only have a week until July 1...is everyone ready??

I'm thinking about making two smaller quilts this time around. I'm involved with the VFW, Am Vets and American Legions around here and think that I want to donate quilts to older and sick veterans. I've met so many of them since my husband returned from Iraq in 2005 that they are just like family. I've made many a trips to Cincinnati VA Hospital and arranged many dinner/benefits to raise money for medical care and funerals. I've even helped build wheelchair ramps at a few of the veterans houses! I'm a Jill of all traits and a master of none...lol

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend.

Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 11,205
Donna replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 1:40 PM

I was so excited about today.  I have the day off and I only need 10 more squares to make 30.  Well it is 11:35, and I have completed 2 squares.  I have done more UNsewing than I have done sewing.  So I have stopped for awhile, done 2 loads of laundry and mopped the kitchen floor.  It is about time to go the local bar and grill for burgers and beer.  I have the burgers and tea, bff has the beer lol.  Hopefull this afternoon the sewing will be more productive.  But the good news I guess is I have 22 finished.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Burgers and beer sound like an excellent plan! My BFF called and asked if i wanted to go out for  while but it hurts to wear a bra (because of stitches) and I said no. If BFF wasn't a guy I'd invite him over here but the neighbors would talk if a guy is here, me no bra on and my husband gone for the weekend...LOL  Have a good day Donna.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 358
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 2:04 PM

Erin,

Thanks for all you do, I am a social worker at the Cincinnati VA.   Everything you do is greatly appreciated.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

dardar:

Erin,

Thanks for all you do, I am a social worker at the Cincinnati VA.   Everything you do is greatly appreciated.

A quilt, a ride to the hospital or grocery store, a dinner, an ear to listen.....it's nothing compared to what  they have done for me! I ♥ them and appreciate them and it makes me feel good be there when they need me. :)

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 435
Points 11,205
Donna replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 4:30 PM

Erin, my BFF is also a guy and we just so happen live together.  He is my soulmate, the love of my life and it only took me 54 years and one marriage of 27 years to the wrong guy to find him.  But the marriage did produce 3 wonderful children so I am happy to have had it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Erin,

Thank you for the 'little things' you do for the vets!  Those little things mean so much to them.  I think breaking up the project into a couple of smaller quilts is a great idea!  The project finishes up quicker for you, and two individuals have happy smiles and warm laps, instead of just one!

Donna,

Your blocks are looking so pretty!  You are using such pretty colors and prints that your quilt can't help but be wonderful!

I am getting anxious for July 1st!  Can't hardly wait to see what Nana has in store for us, but I'll bet it's gonna be good!  I FINALLY got started cutting scraps and sewing blocks about midnight last night. Didn't get very far with sewing blocks as my hands didn't really want to cooperate. I think I spent too much time removing paper from HP blocks. Gripping tweezers really set my right hand to cramping.  I need to get into my old taxidermy supplies in the basement. I seem to remember I had a BIG pair of tweezers in my tools. That may help some. Question: why is it a 'pair of tweezers'? There is only one tool...if you break it in half is it a tweeze? SOrry!! I was up waaayyy too late last night!! 

Anyway...I have about 8 full blocks laid on on the design board and partly assembled. I have bits and pieces of blocks for about 3 more also pinned up, but they haven't been moved around to form bigger hunks to make full-size blocks yet.   Note to Nana: I am not being controlling with the scraps...HONEST! But the 'bits' have to form together to make "pieces" and the pieces have to fit together to make blocks...so I have to exercise a little control.

Is green a 'neutral' color?  Its beginning to look like it on my design board!!

Max

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 195
Points 4,170
Debi replied on Mon, Jun 25 2012 1:59 PM

I have been away from home for two weeks and won't be home until this weekend. I have ten blocks done and my scraps sitting by my machine for the other twenty. I am looking forward to July 1st, but will be a little behind to start, I believe. I love the pics of what everyone is doing on this scrappy and June's. 

Nana, I see some triangles in some of the pics. I think I asked about triangles, but I can't remember which project it was for. Are triangles ok for this project or not a good idea for a new "scrappy" quilter? 

I can't remember who, but someone was working on their iPad and trying to upload pics, I can't even upload a post from my iPad, only my iPhone and laptop or desktop, so if it is possible, I would really love to know. My iPad is my only "computer", I have to borrow a computer to upload pics. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 178
Points 2,495
Christine replied on Mon, Jun 25 2012 9:36 PM

This is me all the way!  I want one!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Jun 26 2012 11:50 AM

Okay done to 9 to go. Boy has this been a lot of work, trying to get them 12.5  but not getting to small peices. I always seem to end up just a hair or so short. Hopefully I will be done by the first, Are we actually starting on the first? I noticed it is a saturday. I would post what colors I have so far but trying to remember where I put the camera. Everyone have a great week

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420
erindipity replied on Tue, Jun 26 2012 12:02 PM

I also had a time of making them 12.5 inches. At about # 22 (duh!) i realized that I wasn't adding enough seam allowances and that is why they seemed to be shrinking rather than growing... So quite a few of mine have strips around the outer edge to make them big enough.  It's been fun learning how to cut, sew, add another strip, add another strip, cut again and maybe, just maybe this block will be 12.5"!! LOL  Seriously, these scrappy quilts have taught me a lot and is making me more confident in quilt making. Hopefully soon I will get brave and try to change up the blocks a little and add my own touch like so many of you did in June scrappy.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 598
Points 10,500
Tami Paul replied on Tue, Jun 26 2012 12:35 PM

At first I was real lucky and they worked out. But after a while I had troubles for some reason. I noticed pretty early on about the seam allowance but still messed up sometimes. My problem is getting down to that last little bit and then not finding a block that fits. Seems like 2 rows would make them to small when cut or not finding one big enough after seem allowance. I hate doing really big ones because Nana said that those might not break down far enough...  I have a few times put bigger ones in cause I just didnt care. haha ( and I really liked that material) Last night I was sewing some wide panels together then cutting down to size, trying to mix it up enough that it didnt make them all look a like. Still have some of the panels left so we will see how it goes. I also tended to put longer stripes on one end so when I had somewhere to cut without making them to small. Anyway I sure hope this is the worse of it, which I am sure it will be. as picking the material and such is usually the hardest. Well I need to get to work, be back in a few days.

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,356
Points 31,985

Well, darn it!!  I've sewn myself into a 'situation'!   I've been making my July blocks, and I'm about halfway done. I stick them up on the design board as they are finished so I can kinda keep track of how many I've got, if one color is 'taking over', too much light or dark, etc. is doing on overall.  But as I'm sitting here looking at the blocks on the board I'm realizing I REALLY like what I've got going as a quilt by itself...without cutting it up into smaller pieces and reassembling it.

D*%#!!! So do I continue, and MAKE myself whack it up, following Nana's next directions on July 1st (my calendar says Sunday. Do I have the wrong month?), and in doing so, maybe have a quilt I'll like even better?  Or do I continue making enough blocks like I am until I have enought to do a lap quilt and quit?  In the second case, I'll have to start making some different blocks to use for Nana's July scrappy project.  Grrr....!

Ladies, may I ask if you are working on one block at a time?  Starting with a piece and adding to it, and then adding another strip etc?  Kind of like make a log cabin but without so much organization?  And you are having trouble coming to the magic 12 1/2 square?  I don't do random-pieced blocks quite like that. Here is how I do mine, and I usually have to trim off all the way around.   I cut the scraps I'm going to use into pieces: 2 1/2 inches wide, 3 1/2 inche wide, up to 6 1/2 inches wide.  Some are then cut square, some are then cut in rectangles (2 1/2 X 6,  2 1/2 X 4 etc.) , I haven't been getting larger than 6 1/2 X  6 1/2 square.  Sometime I take two or three of the 2 1/2 widths and cut them 13 inches.  Sew them together. and you have a 13 X 5 1/2 strip.  I sew some of the 4 x 4 block together to make an 4 X 8 rectangle. I sew several of the 2 1/2 x 4 strips together.  When I have a stack of each of those kinds and sizes, then I start fitting and sewing those assembled units together.  And continue assembling 'units' until I have  big blocks.  In other words, small pieces to other small pieces,  making medium pieces, Then sewing medium size units together to make larger units. Then finally sewing the larger units together to make the big blocks.  If I have several small or mediums units made I can play with them to see how contrast works, and make sure I don't have the sames scraps in the same grouping.  I lay them out until the 'kind of' fit, trim where needed, or add a strip to a until to make it fit in  the big block.

I hope I haven't confused you too much!   If I try to just make one 12 1/2 block at a time it takes me forever!  And I tend to use too many small pieces for some reason. I do have to be careful not to be matchy-matchy..just pick up pieces.  A pic is worth a thousand words...maybe this will help. Yes, most of my scrappy quilt is plain fabrics, but that is what I have the most scraps of to work with.  Maybe this will help you avoid the 'just a half inch too short' problem with your blocks.

Max

• Post Points: 50
Page 12 of 20 (296 items) «Prev1011121314Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use