This post has 186 Replies | 18 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:23 PM

Cindy:
made all 350 HST blocks too small by 1/2 inch
  How maddening!  How did that happen?  Sorry, now that you've "practiced" the new ones should turn out great, and quickly, huh?  We laugh with you to keep from crying!?!  After gettng too busy with other things today until late, decided it would be best to start again tomorrow - I have about one fourth of it sewn together now.

Kris, why do all our posts on here have little images of paperclips at the top, under our names?

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:06 AM

Carol,

this has come up before. I think the paper clip shows people who are on line at the moment.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:09 AM

I didn't do much sewing today but I made some more string blocks. I am now half way through step four.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,640
Lee replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:34 PM

I just got my computer back after 2 weeks without it.

Now I've decided to make a quilt for a friend's husband who  will be going to a hospice.  He has stage 4 prostate cancer.

This is the pattern I have devised.  The square blocks are 9x9 the double ones are 9x18.  I thought the sashing would be 4 1/2 " but when I cut the squares I realized that would be too wide.  Any suggestions as to the best width for the sashing?  Maybe 2 1/2"?

The diagram is not very accurate as the sashing  has lines in that don't belong.  I got carried away when ruling things!  LOL  In each row the sashing should be solid as with the sashing between rows.  The intersections of the sashing are squares of blue like the blocks.

The second pic is the fabric I'm using for the block.  The sashing and border are a white-on-white with a tiny tulip in white.    The backing will also bee of these fabrics, maybe in a horizontal  array.

Since they live in FL, any suggestions about the batting?  Or should I just use some fleece as a backing/batting?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,640
Lee replied on Mon, Jan 9 2012 4:44 PM

I don't see any paperclips but I do see the female symbol under each of our icons.

Carol:

Cindy:
made all 350 HST blocks too small by 1/2 inch
  How maddening!  How did that happen?  Sorry, now that you've "practiced" the new ones should turn out great, and quickly, huh?  We laugh with you to keep from crying!?!  After gettng too busy with other things today until late, decided it would be best to start again tomorrow - I have about one fourth of it sewn together now.

Kris, why do all our posts on here have little images of paperclips at the top, under our names?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 12:50 PM

Hello All,

Finished my HSTs and moving on....for those who wondered how I could make a 1/2 inch mistake...I was thinking cut block not finished block.  Hope I don't make that mistake again.  At any rate, I'm moving forward and hope to have something to show soon.   Have a great quilty day!

Cindy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:06 PM

I got half the wings sewn on those 350 HSTs on Sunday. Hope to get the other half before week's end but not sure I will. I've cut the squares for the Ohio stars hope to start work on them as well.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:13 PM

Great Kris - keep on keeping on - it is worth the time and work when it's done - looks so great!  I have mine done except for the borders - of course the pieces are done, just have to sew them together and put on the quilt.  Today was our quilting day at the Quilt Cabin - and we had such  good time, we're doing it again next Tuesday.  We now have 16 or 17 tops done - will have to take them to the LAQ this week, she's not busy right now.  They all like the Bonnie H. quilt, but swear they wouldn't attempt it!  They'd rather do the About.Com NY Mystery pattern - bigger pieces, and easier.  But I like the challenge - now what else can I make with a Bonnie pattern?  Use up some of the leaders and enders, I guess.  Happy quilting to you all!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 11:04 PM

Carol,

I can't wait to see your quilt. Maybe your friends will try it after you get yours done. It certainly isn't for the faint of heart.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

I have to admit to falling off the orca bay mystery bandwagon. But after seeing everyone else's progress, I'm ready to jump back in. Have to get the binding on my daughters quilt that I gave her for Christmas so she can actually use it (she has reminded me every day since), then I can go back to doing this one. The hubby didn't like my purple/orange string blocks - says I should stick with the blue/red string blocks. But since I already have the purple ones made, I might stick with those.  Do you think purple/red string blocks will work ok in the finished quilt?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Wed, Jan 11 2012 10:54 PM

Jenn,

keep going. Doesn't matter how long it takes. It will be quite an achievement. I think purple and red strings will look great. Can't wait to see it.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Thu, Jan 12 2012 11:09 PM

Jenn:  someone told me once that you should always use purple and red together, best combo of all, she thought!  All the Orca Bay quilts have been great, in any colors - have you seen them on the site?  Amazing!  I wonder sometimes what historians will think when they find thousands of quilts of the same pattern all over the world - they used to identify patterns by where they were made, can't do that anymore!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 12:12 AM

Carol,

hopefully there are some good little quilters out there who will label them. LOL.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

My mom said that Red Hatters would love the purple and red combo! And, yeah, I saw all the pictures of folks making the quilt - absolutely amazing! 

Thanks everyone for being so supportive and WONderful cheerleaders! Y'all are the best!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,041
Points 369,087
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:48 PM

You're welcome Jenn. 

I'm wearing red and purple today. It's a great combo.

Page 9 of 13 (187 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use