Feb. BOM

rated by 0 users
This post has 245 Replies | 22 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235
ti2xguer replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:01 PM

Karen that was too funny. I actually buight him an of brand one at a quilt shop in town.  He loves it! Has his own quilting tool now, oh yeah he alos bought a handle to put on the big plastic ruler.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235
ti2xguer replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:02 PM

So UFO's have to do with blocks that show up from years ago that you can't remember what they were for?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235
ti2xguer replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 10:04 PM

I love it.... I think I have some "practice" blocks in the studio.  Now I can call them something cool instead of "practice blocks". ;)

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Debbie, I love that table runner too. Don't think I'll get to it but will look forward to seeing yours Carol Well done! Thanks for the tip. Triangles can be a trials if not handled right. ti2xguerYour DH is just a hoot!! And now you know what to call orphaned blocks, Girl, what next! LOL

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Carol, all of a sudden my pictures are too big to put on live feed but I can put them in the Media. Go figure!

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,155
Points 15,865
Erin replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 6:36 AM

Love this! Can you share your re-drafted 6 inch instructions?   I have not figured out the re-sizing part yet :/

Carol:

My Nine-Patch Heart is a bit different as I re-drafted the block to 6" finished and then made 4 as in the Table-runner shown on the McCall's pattern. I saw on the instructions I downloaded that the finished block was going to be 7 12" which panicked me a little. I should have looked at Melody's 12" block and used her instructions how to make the block. I might have to make another one using Melody's pattern as I really like the dimensions of her heart.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,056
Points 170,028
Marie replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:24 AM

WOW, Carol, those rulers are awesome, thanks for the website.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

Carol, great runner and blocks

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,841
Points 352,812
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:33 AM

Carol:
My Nine-Patch Heart is a bit different as I re-drafted the block to 6" finished and then made 4 as in the Table-runner shown on the McCall's pattern.

Carol,

this is beautiful.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942

I haven't made up my mind about Feb blocks so far,   might wait a little longer or see what March has in store

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,155
Points 15,865
Erin replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 3:01 PM

I have a tote full of orphan blocks!  They are from practicing and also left overs from other projects.  The red, white and blue ones will make a quilt for the car and the others will probably end up being a tent for Cupcake!

Ok....I think I have figured out how to re-size the nine patch hearts. Going to try it out now.  :)

ti2xguer:

I love it.... I think I have some "practice" blocks in the studio.  Now I can call them something cool instead of "practice blocks". ;)

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 1,560
Carol replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 8:29 PM

Hi Erin and other quilting ladies,

Sorry for the delay in posting the measurements for the 12" 4-Heart block but we had a slow start to the day and had a little lie in! I think most of you are sleeping when I am up and vice versa anyway (I'm Australian - that will explain my spelling too).

The re-drafted version is a bit messy as it involves 16th's of an inch, but it is manageable if you mark your ruler with a texta.

The small squares for the chequerboard and the corners of the hearts are 1 11/16"  square (that's nearly 1¾" , and falls between 1" and 1¾" on your ruler - make a little mark on your ruler at this point) Sorry I can't find a better way of typing it than that.

The large background square is 2" square

The rectangles are 3⅛ " x 4⅛ " in size.

So for a 12" block of 4 hearts you need the following:

Background fabric:

·       4 x 2 ” squares

·       16 squares of 1 11/16” sq.

Red Print:

·       4 x 3⅛” x 4⅛” rectangles

·       20 squares of 1 11/16” sq.

Pink Print:

·       4 x 3⅛” x 4⅛” rectangles

·       16 squares of 1 11/16” sq.

When I need to re-draft something, I always start with 1" graph paper - not always easy to find over here as we are a metric nation. Very handy for quilting though!!! I hope these instructions help you with your block! You could make it simpler but this is what I went with. Goodluck!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,155
Points 15,865
Erin replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 8:57 PM

Thank you Carol, you made my night so much easier. I've drawn it out 10 times and it was always off... because I didn't use 7/8 or 11/16; I was trying to cut down to half  or quarter inch.

I've never used graph paper yet either. This is why I love QCA, other quilters have so many great tips and ideas!  You all make being a new quilter so much easier and fun :)

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,155
Points 15,865
Erin replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:01 PM

Carol- do you have access to a printer?  I bet there is a website somewhere that has a free printable 1 inch graph paper template.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,841
Points 352,812
Kris replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 9:22 PM

Erin:

Carol- do you have access to a printer?  I bet there is a website somewhere that has a free printable 1 inch graph paper template.

Yes there is Erin. I use it a lot. Print Free Graph Paper. There are graph pads at JoAnn fabric (and other shops) that are bigger but you can tape the printed ones together plus I like that I can select the size of the grid that I want.

Page 9 of 17 (246 items) «Prev7891011Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use