Chit Chat

rated by 0 users
This post has 208 Replies | 27 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,832
Points 366,142
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 5 2014 12:07 AM

In this and many other groups only the moderator can start a new thread. It helps keep extra chatter in one place. You can post  a reply in an existing thread as you've done here.

I'm not sure if there'll be a BOM this year.

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,645

It seems that many members are interested in this BOM group, as evidenced by the number of us who have continued to join. The QCA site seems to be functioning better; I am now usually able to get on easily, and able to go right into the various groups, which was not possible even two weeks ago. It would be really nice if the moderators would see that there is much interest in re-activating this group for 2014. If the site does not cooperate, it's only some fabric and time lost... and the fabric can always be used for some other project! Why can we not try? 

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Vivian replied on Sun, Feb 23 2014 1:29 PM

I agree with you SpringerMom. I would love to have a BOM 2014 to start. One of my New Year's Resolution was to complete a BOM group quilt. There seems to be a growing interest for a group to continue. It would be a little disappointing if we can not keep the group together, but I'm sure we will find another way to quilt, quilt, quilt. I would like QCA to let us know if we are keeping the group going..

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 8,740
Jan replied on Mon, Feb 24 2014 10:15 AM

I helped out last year and am very willing to help out again.  I have tried a couple of times, unsuccessfully, to get an answer from QCA. But will try again right now.  I ended up not finishing due to an injury, but I had a blast until I couldn't sew at all.

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,832
Points 366,142
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 24 2014 11:53 AM

Melody is the moderator of this group. I haven't seen her here for some time now. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 8,740
Jan replied on Mon, Feb 24 2014 12:54 PM

Melody is the official moderator of the BOM group.  She had some time crunches with taking care of her Mother the second half of the year, so I sent block suggestions in.  I am definitely willing to do it again unless QCA does not want to or Melody does or some other more experienced quilter would prefer to take it on. 

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,645

Well, it's pretty apparent that the BOM group is "kaput" and there has been no communication from the moderator or QCA that it will change. So, with that in mind, I've been wondering if those of us who would have been interested in participating might consider a "work-around" of sorts: we could individually choose a block at the end of each month, post our intent to make it, by name and/or photo, and then post a photo of "our" block when finished. There is a nice online block site that is free... www.quilterscache.com, that has lots of block patterns and instructions; there are probably other sites available, as well. Doing it this way would also avoid the problems of having to download a specified block and instructions here on QCA, what with all the difficulties we experience trying to log in, etc. It would still be motivation for us to choose and complete a block, and they could be more specific to our own preferences. We would still be available to one another for moral support, help with difficulties, etc., and just contact with one another as we work on our blocks each month. So, what do you all think?      

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,125
Helen replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 6:56 PM

SpringerMom:

Well, it's pretty apparent that the BOM group is "kaput" and there has been no communication from the moderator or QCA that it will change. So, with that in mind, I've been wondering if those of us who would have been interested in participating might consider a "work-around" of sorts: we could individually choose a block at the end of each month, post our intent to make it, by name and/or photo, and then post a photo of "our" block when finished. There is a nice online block site that is free... www.quilterscache.com, that has lots of block patterns and instructions; there are probably other sites available, as well. Doing it this way would also avoid the problems of having to download a specified block and instructions here on QCA, what with all the difficulties we experience trying to log in, etc. It would still be motivation for us to choose and complete a block, and they could be more specific to our own preferences. We would still be available to one another for moral support, help with difficulties, etc., and just contact with one another as we work on our blocks each month. So, what do you all think?      

I have tried all weekend to get QCA to open up to no avail.  I have tried to access my other groups to see what is going on and keep getting bumped off.  Does anyone know why QCA is having so many problems????  I am so frustrated and frankly very annoyed!!!  Is anyone else having these issues??

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 285
Points 4,645

Well........ it is now after 9pm. I've tried so many times all day long to get on the QCA site since posting my earlier message. Apparently it was just an accident that I was able to do so. When I do get on, I get bumped out when I log in to get to my groups. So, my offer to think about trying an individually-oriented BOM club here is just pure fantasy! This site will not support our groups, or anything else. Perhaps down the road the "powers that be" will realize none of us are here anymore. Or maybe not. I'm just tired of the frustration. Will find a BOM group elsewhere.      

-Unknown

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 158
Points 2,720

You may want to to check out QATW Quilting

Quilt, have fun, spend less time worrying if it is perfect.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,455
Points 243,862
Thea replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 7:39 AM

Hi, Just a thought - Melody started this group about a year ago - has anyone tried to email her and ask if maybe you could also have a group over on facebook.  We did that with the Christmas All Year Long Group.  I know Melody has lots of things on her plate and troubles for us are light compared to what she is probably experiencing getting on QCA.  She lives away from home with her Mom - Melody's home is in MO and her Mom lives in KS and Melody is gracious enough to live and take care of her Mom so that her Mom didn't have to go in a nursing home.  Melody isn't 100% healthy herself either and really needs our prayers.  

I just have an idea that maybe you could post a message here and someday she might be able to get it and you could offer to co-moderate the group with her and to set one up over on facebook of the same name - make it private group so members here that don't like facebook will join or set it up yourself and tell everyone here about it... 

One last suggestion, over in CAYL I have started since the beginning of the year posting blocks each week from a calendar that Beth gave me as one of my SS gifts.  It is a perpetual calendar and has 365 blocks in it.  I have started making some of them out of my tons of scraps.  You could pick blocks from those and we could do a sampler quilt out of them.  

I know it has been very very very hard lately to get into QCA.  I am hoping and praying with the new management that things get better and we can laugh about this at the end of next year.  We have been fighting hard for all these groups for the last 2 years... it has just gotten harder and harder.  I know I am one of the most frustrated as I was one of the first members on QCA and helped to set up 90% of the groups.  Trying to figure out what quilter's today needed and wanted to make this site extraordinary so it hurts a lot when they just don't seem to care.  

I don't know what we can do except try hard to keep it going and to make alternate places to meet like my facebook group till this place becomes fast again and easily accessible - I don't know if that will happen but we might get lucky.  

If you do need a  block idea each month, check out the blocks I have posted from the calendar.  You can pick whatever size blocks you want to make - the calendar has 6,8,9,10,12" blocks so far.  I might suggest just pick a size and look through the postings and try and make one of those... There are also some great Calendar blocks out this past year.  One each month - that would be neat too.  

I would also ask that you pray for Melody.  I know that she could use the extra prayers rather then the criticism she is getting - I am sure she wanted to continue with this group but after the last couple years trying hard to get in on the few moments when she had the time to do it that it just became super frustrating.  I would ask QCA to really think about all of us and the fact that it is because of all of us quilters that they have jobs.  A boycott of all their magazines would sure hurt them and a falling off of popularity in quilting could happen with the economy in the dumps and getting worse... By the way, their magazines are the Fons and Porter mags, McCalls, Quick Quilting, Quilting Quickly, Patrick Lose's mag and a few others... if subscriptions weren't renewed maybe they would get the message as they don't seem to have gotten it with the people who have decided not to renew their QCA memberships.

I wish you all well and hope that any of my ideas will spark something somewhere and that the BOM group will find a way to continue.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 342
Points 6,125
Helen replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 9:39 AM

Brenda Jarrett:

You may want to to check out QATW Quilting

Thanks, I just joined!!  Still am hoping that QCA gets their act together as I enjoy the members in the groups. 

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 10:43 AM

I would like to see the group continue also.  Getting on the QCA has been trying and not fun.  I am willing to give an email address if we want to continue with the group and then any member would be able to post ideas or a block or show off their projects.  I have 1 strip left to put on my quilt and then it is done from the original BOM and then I will put it on the long arm and quilt it.  I was hoping for a series of blocks this time with just 4-5 fabrics so I could use my Christmas stash.  I do not do face book so would have difficulties.  I am game for anything we do.  But I would like to see the group continue.

Happy quilting.

lynn

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 8,740
Jan replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 12:11 PM

I am also willing to do a try here, e-mail back up type system for a group BOM.  Many if not most of the blocks for last year's BOM came from Quilter's Cache.  They are pretty standard in their instructions and as said before, have tons of choices. Lynn, I would love to see your finished one. I wouldn't mind a series of blocks with a few colors.  That might take a bit more organizing than last year, but I would be willing to work on that.  I think we all agree that this site WAS THE place to go.  I like most of us hope it will be again.  I am Nana Jan on QATW also.  Just new there and learning my way around.

Jan in Rochester NY

jgraves007@aol.com

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

I'm also willing to help in anyway I can to get this back up and running or possibly another group?   I have not heard anything from Melody in a while- I hope all is well for her and her mother!  

Let's brainstorm and figure something out!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Page 13 of 14 (209 items) «Prev1011121314Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use