rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 17 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,733
Points 364,762
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:37 PM

ti2xguer:
I'm not sure I have this posting thing down yet? I finished the Snow Churn block though. woohoo!

I like this.

ti2xguer:
O.k. ladies.....I screwed up my courage and tried paper piecing for the first time. It took me all day to do one block! PHEW.......

Nicely done. Beautiful fabrics. 

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:19 AM

ti2xguer, if thiswas your first PP  you did well . beautiful  block ,I promise it gets easier with pratice.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235
ti2xguer replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:19 AM

Actually I have a confession to make, until I joined the ladies sewing group at church I never could understand why women would take perfectly beautiful fabric, cut it into little shapes and sew it back together again? Like I said earlier, I sew minature clothes, formals and dresses for my girls. Paper peicing seemed the ultimate craziness to me! My hubby said if I didn't step up and try what the rest of you were doing I would never learn anything new.   Boy am I glad I listened to him. Now how do I get the paper removed from the back of my squares so they don't Crunch when you move them......... :)

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
ti2xguer I have seen the removal of the paper and it looked very easy but not having actually having done it I will see if I can find out. I think that you have done great trying something new! That's why I started this group so people like me could learn these things if they wanted. Melody

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
On the out side of the block fold the fabric under away from the paper and the pull the paper off. Once you've done this all around the block the center pieces should be easier to pull off. The seams have perforated the paper making it easy to pull off. I hope this helped and makes sense, but it would be like punching out paper dolls..........oh no do paper dolls still exist? Well, guess that dates me LOL.

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Also, what I have learned is that if you set your stitches to a high count (like 15 per inch) it makes the paper removal easier!

MelodyP MO/KS:
On the out side of the block fold the fabric under away from the paper and the pull the paper off. Once you've done this all around the block the center pieces should be easier to pull off. The seams have perforated the paper making it easy to pull off. I hope this helped and makes sense, but it would be like punching out paper dolls..........oh no do paper dolls still exist? Well, guess that dates me LOL.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
thank u Erin.

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

You're welcome. You all have helped me so much with tips and tricks i feel I should pass on what I learn (mostly from trial and error) LOL  I am still sticking to the Beginner flower block from Carol Doak's site. I think they will become a wall hanging for my MIL for Easter. :)

MelodyP MO/KS:
thank u Erin.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Erin which one is it? I scooted over there and saw two. My main problem right now is I do not have access to a printer to copy the pattern. My Sis IS a Printer by trade but when I sent her the pattern for the Snow blossom she didn't get it. I think the gods of pp are trying to tell me something. LOL

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Melody- it is on this page http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php and it's the eighth one down... NEW BEGINNER BLOCK. The patterns are PDF files. I love this block, very easy after I got the first one made!

MelodyP MO/KS:
Erin which one is it? I scooted over there and saw two. My main problem right now is I do not have access to a printer to copy the pattern. My Sis IS a Printer by trade but when I sent her the pattern for the Snow blossom she didn't get it. I think the gods of pp are trying to tell me something. LOL

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Erin, i like that one. I bet the block is so much prettier than the picture. I've machine applique today. Something else new for me.

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

I think the nosegay is prettier but it is only 3"....NOT even going to attempt something that small right now.  I do OK with applique as long as I use fusible web and a machine, Some day I may finally figure out needle turn..lol

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 290

Thank you so much for that link.  I am really liking this paper piecing.  Linda in OK

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235

I started on a scottie dog applique today for the ladies. They give me "bags of scraps" and let me play with them. If I screw anything up I haven't cost them any money, and I don't feel guilty. This is a bag of flannel uneven squares. My husband is squaring them all up and I am putting the black dogs on them. will upload a picture when I get the top completed. We only make them 3' x 5'. They are donated to local rest home for the patients.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
ti2xguer, the Scotties sound cute. I'll take a picture of my block when I get through. It is a snowman block for a swap. I will need to make 11 more before the 7th of Feb.......I hope LOL

MelodyP

Page 2 of 4 (50 items) Prev1234Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use