rated by 0 users
This post has 601 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 1:44 AM

Jan:
Yeah! It worked.  I do see that I need to work on getting all the pictures as crisp as the bees and Fields one but I did it.  <this is me patting myself on the back for finally succeeding.

Jan in Rochester NY

WTG Jan. Your blocks are very pretty.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 24,005
Debbie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 4:18 PM

I decided I was going to learn this paper piecing method no matter what.  Had bought the paper for it and had a simple pattern, Twisting Spools.  so sat down this afternoon and just worked on it till I got it done.  Had a hard time at first, the working reverse side was confusing but I finished a block, with one minor little mistake.  I'm leaving it in and going to put this on the wall.  It will remind me not to make that mistake again.  I just used up scraps I had and not sure if I would ever make a whole quilt (at least, not a very big one) but feel I accomplished something.  Yes!!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 5:13 PM

Looks good Debbie. Once I got over the backwards part it got easier. most of my practice pp blocks are flowers that will go into a wall hanging some day.  Just keep practicing and it'll be easier! 

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 5:43 PM

Debbie:
Had bought the paper for it and had a simple pattern, Twisting Spools.

Pretty block Debbie. I like that brown fabric.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 6:21 PM

beautiful job Debbie.  I do remember my first of many attempts at pp.  They say it gets easier.   I am not convinced.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Debbie, beautiful block! Good job.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:48 PM

Debbie, really love your block great job

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 173
Points 2,235

Hi Melody,

I hope it's okay, I joined your block of the month, but can not find all the patterns. Where do I get them? And, thank you for coordinating the Block of the Month.

Candace W. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
go to the pages and you will find them there. Glad to have you!

MelodyP

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 70
Noni replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:36 AM

Debbie, I really like the Twisting Spools block! Looks to me like you did a great job. :-)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,945

As a newbie I thought this would be a great way to improve my limited skills. I tried out the Bees and Fields block. The bees block I did the paper piecing. The printout was accurate with the 1" test block and both of the blocks produced from it turned out okay. I did the fields blocks with the templates. Everything looked fine until I put it all together! The fields blocks were too big and nothing lined up right. Seriously bummed out and tired, I went to bed but first read thru this discussion thread to see what other blocks looked like. The amount of relief I felt when I discovered that others were having issues with it was immense! Here's what my blocks look like: (first one is in bnw because the lighting in my "studio" is terrible)

Even after trimming the big ones they didn't line up. I am running low on this fabric so maybe these blocks will be added individually in a quilt rather than all together. Onto February's block!

• Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 6:14 PM

Ibuiltaquilt- most of us struggled with the bees in fields block!  The more advanced quilters (and even an engineer..lol) finally found the problem in the pattern.

I love the fabrics you used, very pretty together.  February's "Love In A Mist" is accurate but just watch how and where you lay your half square triangles! Take your time and you'll do fine.  The nine patch heart is super cute but you're better off making the one heart (12" block)  Melody has the measurements posted under her file in the media section.  Crown of thorns and rocky road to Dublin are pretty, but they may be a little challenging for me. That is why I am waiting until I have every thing else done before I start them and end up hurrying and make a mess of my March blocks.

Have a great weekend- Erin

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655

Love the blocks!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,945

Erin - thank you for the words of encouragement! I thought I did a good job with measurements - used the same rulers, used the same techniques for cutting each time, and turned off 'Poirot' for better focus. This shows one of the many benefits of this website, eh?! Tomorrow will be my first meeting at a local quilt guild = so excited ! 

Bobbie Joe - thanks! I'm going thru a wicked pink phase.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 4 2013 2:11 AM

Ibuiltaquilt:
Even after trimming the big ones they didn't line up. I am running low on this fabric so maybe these blocks will be added individually in a quilt rather than all together. Onto February's block!

Marie,

your blocks look good to me. Nice work and pretty fabrics. If the components aren't quite the same size. Pin them at the matches (centres and edges. Then pin pin pin between those pins. Sew with the larger piece on the bottom.

Accuracy is important in quilting but fudging is often necessary. 

Page 38 of 41 (602 items) «Prev3637383940Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use