BOM January 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 601 Replies | 34 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 85

Thank you Melody!   Have got advice, hope to clear.     Have difficult to upload picktures too, but it is my own fault, can ask help from my son. It is stupid to be so stupid.

Thank you all about friendliness! Aune from Finland

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:36 AM

Thank you Melody.  I have a question on the Bees block the 6 1/2" 4 square with triangles came out to 6" not 6 1/2".  I had a friend check the directions and the template and what I did and she told me i had done it correctly.  Can you tell me why this happened.

thanks.  a great day for quilting here in ontario as it is freezing rain outside and nasty.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:37 AM

thank you Leslie.  I am having fun doing the blocks.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:39 AM

thank you.  i have the black polka dot fabric left over from 2 other quilts and want that to be the common thread through all the blocks.  I have yards of polka dot fabric as it is my favorite.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:41 AM

beautiful block.  I love your fabric.

lynn

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,328
Points 18,725

Good morning Lynn.  We all ran into this problem; the pattern was off a bit.  It wasn't Melody's fault and it caught most of us off guard because Quilt Blocks Galore is usually spot on with directions and templates!  I believe someone figured it out and printed their template out at 106%  or something and it worked right.  I AM NOT POSITIVE ABOUT THAT NUMBER..it is in this thread somewhere in the first pages.  I will try to go find it and post it for you.

lynnkonkin:

Thank you Melody.  I have a question on the Bees block the 6 1/2" 4 square with triangles came out to 6" not 6 1/2".  I had a friend check the directions and the template and what I did and she told me i had done it correctly.  Can you tell me why this happened.

thanks.  a great day for quilting here in ontario as it is freezing rain outside and nasty.

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 7:06 AM

thank you Erin.  I will ty that and redo the block or the 2 6" ones.

have a great day

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Thank you Erin. I have a confession, I did not use the templates. I cut out a piece of paper sack to 12" square and divided it into 4th's and made the pattern. Before i cut the fabric I added the 1/4" seam. Not having a printer MAKES you learn to do it the way our Grandmother's did. It proves you can do anything if you set your mind to it. lol Feb. blocks just have cutting instructions.

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,328
Points 18,725

Lynn- this is what I found....(copied from another post)......

My Bees and Fields block printed out 15/16 instead of 1 inch.  I enlarged it 106% and it came out perfectly.  Hope this helps.  Linda in OK

I hope that helps you!

Erin

lynnkonkin:

thank you Erin.  I will ty that and redo the block or the 2 6" ones.

have a great day

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,328
Points 18,725

You know Melody, more than once I've found that if I draw out the pattern myself I get better results.   After looking at my super wonky January blocks again I think that I am going to re-do them this morning! They are quite comical..lol     Are you waiting until Feb 1 to post February's blocks?  Not trying to pressure you, just wondering!

Erin

MelodyP MO/KS:
Thank you Erin. I have a confession, I did not use the templates. I cut out a piece of paper sack to 12" square and divided it into 4th's and made the pattern. Before i cut the fabric I added the 1/4" seam. Not having a printer MAKES you learn to do it the way our Grandmother's did. It proves you can do anything if you set your mind to it. lol Feb. blocks just have cutting instructions.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 483
Points 9,155
Jan replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 8:54 AM

Lynn,

I had TONS of trouble with the square in a square block.  What I ended up doing was drawing and redrawing.  But I did finally measure when I came to the proper size. Mind you it was 2 and a half days later.  The 4 little squares are 2 1/2 inches including the seam allowances. the triangles I drew a 3 1/2 inch square and cut it exactly diagonally. With scant 1/4 inch seams this gave me a 6 1/2 square block when finished.

Jan in Rochester NY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:23 AM

thank you sooooo much.  i will enlarge and try the 2 little blocks again.

ciao

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:27 AM

thank you Jan.  I too have several blocks made of varying sizes.  I will try that and redo the block.

lynn

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 11:23 AM

Aune Mattila, I apologize for getting your name wrong. I guess I need new glasses. Have a good day..

from TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Erin, I have been working on the same block ALL DAY, grrrrrrr. On the sight where it is found, it says, 12" finished. This is a fib! It was 8 1/2". I am not good at math but can figure this out BUT I do not want to spoil the integrity of the pattern. Lesson to self: Check patterns first!

MelodyP

Page 36 of 41 (602 items) «Prev3435363738Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use