rated by 0 users
This post has 601 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 3:08 PM

Bobbie Joe Klebe:

Kris, I have about 35 lbs of alpaca to spin and a king size afghan to crochet.

Ooh you do your own spinning. How cool. A lady just opened a shop down the street and I'm considering taking a class with her.

• Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Thanks Thea.

MelodyP

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655

I love it! But then again I also tat, crochet, knit(kinda), battenburg lace, sew.....

You should check into it. I even got my daughter and niece spinning now.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:00 PM

Patricia Faye:
he Bees & Fields block was very easy.  The Snow Churn block did not square up to 12" so I had to add an outside border to make the 12".

Nice work Patricia. Pretty blocks.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,457
Points 361,872
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:01 PM

Bobbie Joe Klebe:

I love it! But then again I also tat, crochet, knit(kinda), battenburg lace, sew.....

You should check into it. I even got my daughter and niece spinning now.

I crochet and I'm learning to tat. I learned to knit but I'm not good at it.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:03 PM

Thea... thank you for taking the intimidation factor out of pp.  I will attempt that block tomorrow in a better fram of mind.

happy quilting

lynn

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 1,560
Carol replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:05 PM

Great tutorial Thea! I love your fabrics - batiks are so yummy! You block is beautiful!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:39 PM

Thea-thank you for the tutorial with pics! I think that I am going to try snow blossom again.  If not, I will be ready for the next PP pattern that comes up. :)

Piece, Love, Quilt

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 449
Points 8,560
Jan replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 7:48 AM

Thea,

What excellent instructions! Thank you so much for taking the time to share those with us.

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,243
Points 239,792
Thea replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 12:33 AM

Everyone -- you are more then welcome for the tutorial!  I hope if it helped out a little it helps you to like Paper Piecing more then you did before... I never used to like it and it is one of my least favorite types of quilting but it is very precise which is the best when you need a precise piece with tons of pieces that are difficult to piece any other way.  

I didn't mention - I have been using regular printer paper lately but I do like a vellum paper that is thin and see through but strong and able to go through the printer too... I used to know the name of the paper but the label has been long lost.

I do not use or like Carol Doak's paper piecing paper... it is expensive and not worth it IMHO... you can buy cheap paper for your printer that works better and for way less... the vellum I buy you get a rheam of 500 sheets for what you spend on 100 sheets of CD's... 

2nd thing I remembered that I didn't mention - I set my Janome on 2.2 stitches - when I turn the machine on that is the normal setting - my Pfaff turns on at 2.5 and I reduce it to 2.0.  

3rd thing - when I am folding the paper at the beginning - I crease those lines both directions which makes it so much easier to remove the paper later... I do pull from the center and work my way out.

That is all I can think of at the moment - if I think of anything else will let you know...

Oh and someone asked when I take the paper off... if only making one block paper pieced for a quilt like this block then when I am done I will remove the paper - when the whole block is done... if I am making lots of pp blocks for a quilt - then I leave the paper on till I sew all the blocks together - having that line there does help with the precision of sewing the blocks together... and gives stability to bias edges on your fabric.

If I take the paper off like I will for this block, I will starch it - a light starch but enough that it won't distort because of the bias edges...

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235

I really like the blues in this one.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655

Okay, I finished my pp, I have to redo part of it. But, it isn't bad for the first try!

I will post better pictures later.

• Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Bobbie Joe, WOW, Girl good job! The color and fabric really make a pretty block. Well done!

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,308
Points 18,340
Erin replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 11:52 AM

Good job Bobbie Joe!  I like the fabric you chose...makes it look like a spring blossom instead of a snow blossom :D

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 510
PalmaRama replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:02 PM

Bobbie this is so beautiful. I love your colors. I have a question about pp if anyone or you can help me...do I trim the two halves before i put them together or after?

Thanks,

Jen

Page 24 of 41 (602 items) «Prev2223242526Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use