BOM January 2013

rated by 0 users
This post has 601 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655

Very nice Francesxx! I hope I do as well on my pp!

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 905
Points 16,770

Hello everyone.  I decided to try & use up my Christmas fabrics. I hope to make a Christmas Quilt as a gift for one of my 3 sisters with these.   The Bees & Fields block was very easy.  The Snow Churn block did not square up to 12" so I had to add an outside border to make the 12".   I don't know what I did wrong but it should still work.  

• Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,765
Points 67,060
Bonita replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 10:14 PM

Very pretty Patricia Faye. Love the black.

• Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

Patricia Faye your blocks are great! Using the colors/fabrics the way you have makes the Bees and Fields look totally different! I love it.

Patricia Faye:

Hello everyone.  I decided to try & use up my Christmas fabrics. I hope to make a Christmas Quilt as a gift for one of my 3 sisters with these.   The Bees & Fields block was very easy.  The Snow Churn block did not square up to 12" so I had to add an outside border to make the 12".   I don't know what I did wrong but it should still work.  

Piece, Love, Quilt

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 290

I love the christmas fabrics.  Sure gives it a different look!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 1,560
Carol replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:14 AM

Hi Ladies,

It has taken longer than I thought to make these three blocks but they are finally done! I have posted pictures on the Media site. It took a while to choose my fabrics and I made a few too many errors in my sewing. Now all fixed up. Thank goodness you can't see the back of them! I am enjoying seeing everyone's blocks and reading all the comments. Now looking forward to February's blocks!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Patrcia, love your blocks

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Erin, I love your style! These are great. I have enjoyed the Bee's & Field's Block. I just threw it in because of the name but I enjoyed making it. My Sister is copying the PP block today so I'm excited to do that block.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,452
Points 176,408
Marie replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:18 AM

Very nice Patricia Faye, everyone's blocks are very pretty.  I plan on doing these as well but want to get my Peanuts quilt top done, the baby will be here before you know it.   

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235

I really like this color combination Leslie.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 186
Points 3,655

Patrica,

Love the colors!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 905
Points 16,770

Thank you all for your kind compliments.  I agree the Christmas fabrics really changed the look of the blocks.  I kept turning them around & around & looking at them.  Then I took several pictures to see if maybe they would look different.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,459
Points 244,002
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 2:30 PM

Here is my tutorial with pictures on how I do paper piecing - i don't usually have to rip anything out... this block is still frustrating me though as the 2nd one is too big now... but I am not sure if I will do it again or not... will see - probably will and then I'll have 3 teehee

But here we go...

First of course you print out the pattern... my first block was only 11.5" so was a little small so I thought I would print the 2nd time at 110% instead of 100% - it came out at 13.5  - so maybe I should have just gone up to 102%... I may like everyone else put a small dark border around my 11.5 one - cuz I can't cut down the 13.5 - but again might try 102 and see what happens...

Next:

I then cut my patterns out and I cut as close to the outer line as possible

I then fold each pattern piece on all the lines

I cut all my pieces out to just a little bigger then the folded areas...

Then I glue the 1st piece - just  a tiny smudge of glue to keep it in place

I fold back and trim all the edges of this piece so they are 1/4" over the pattern piece and pin #2 on so that it is in place...

I fold the pattern piece back over the top to make sure my fabric witll cover the whole piece - you can see in the above picture that it didn't quite cover it so I readjusted my fabric...

I do this with each piece - I will pin the fabric away from the stitching line so that when I turn the piece over to stitch the fabric won't move.

Next I finger press all the seams and turn it over and trim it...

Now - after I have sewn all the pieces to the patterns comes the steps to sew the pattern pieces together...

We paper piece because it has more precision for different angled pieces - so I pin the pieces - I will put a vertical pin through the point and check to make sure it goes through the point on the back - then I put horizontal pins on either side - i do not horizontal that first pin because I have found that it distorts the fabric...

I do put a vertical pin in the point at the beginning but once under the needle and I have put the needle down I pull this one out.  I use butterfly or flower flat pins because as I come to the when sewing I can just lay my finger on them and pull them straight out without having to lift up the fabric.  I do not sew over them.

When you sew the sections together you will end up with these triangle pieces - I cut them off...

8 pieces have now become 4 - and we again want to pin that same way through those points so that they are perfect 

Remember that you have what looks like half square triangles - so you have to match these corners - I just put a pin though the corner vertically and then one horizontally to hold it in place.

And done - in looking at the block - I may take the four seams out ans see if I can reduce it that way - not sure if that will work but it is too big now - 

But this is how I paper piece and all the points match and the 1/4" is all the way around the outside... If I had taken my time on the first block, I would have been happy with it too..tee hee... I have to remember too that this is batik and the outside edges are bias edges - so I have to be careful pulling off the paper...

One last thing I wanted to say - when I cut my pieces it didn't matter right side or wrong side as I am using a batik fabric - but you could cut all your #2 &3 fabrics by putting them right side up - then wrong side up and stacking them - you would then have your #2 pieces and the reverse which would be #3.

Good luck and I hope this helps in any way possible for your paper piecing... I am self taught - never have taken a class in this - they probably teach this in the classes...

• Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 290

Oh, thank you so very much for the tutorial with pictures!  You are the greatest!  Do you leave the paper on until you have sewn the blocks together?  When do you remove the paper?

When I first printed my bees and fields PP, the test block was 15/16"  I enlarged 106% and it came out perfectly 1".

Your block is beautiful!

Linda in OK

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,840
Points 366,242
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 3:07 PM

Frances:
Okay,

Ive done it many thanks to Kris for one of her links for paper piecing it helped no end, and i really like it so here is my Bees and field block not perfect but then neither am i.

Cute block Frances. I like your bee hive fabric.

Page 23 of 41 (602 items) «Prev2122232425Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use