Points 136,082

ti2xguer, great looking block

[Ava, Missouri

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235

Thank you....my husband is a retired engineer and he makes all my cuts for me. We went back and added a border to the Bees to get it back to a 12" square.

• Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:07 PM

Beautiful! And the points look awesome!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 132
Points 1,755
SoBuzy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:34 PM

I had to save my pattern in a file and then print it with no scaling before my 1" test actually became 1"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,952
Points 368,312
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:55 AM

Pretty block ti2xguer.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235

Barb your colors are really cool though!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 64
Points 1,235

Block drove us crazy so we added a border to get it back to 12" after our 1" test screw-up! It paved the way for the color choice of the snow churn we are working on.

• Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
ti2xguer This pattern has been challenging. I did not have access to a printer so had to do it with paper, measuring and a lot of colorful language, but got it. LOL But I think it was worth it. I really like the pattern.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,558
Points 246,072
Thea replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 9:50 AM

All your blocks are beautiful - I had so many problems with the one block - aggravated me - to no end - I hate patterns that aren't written correctly and that one left a lot to be desired - patterns there are usually very good too as I have used many of their's.  I will continue to work on these though as I am a perfectionist...and this group is all about learning... so give me your tips and tricks and I'll give you mine.

Leslie - beautiful block... Debbie - beautiful block - I don't have to tell Barbara as I tell her over the Skype connection but will say it here too - her blocks are beautiful - she listens to me complain everyday - so sweet she is.

All the blocks are beautiful and I know I am forgetting someone so please forgive this old lady.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,316
Points 18,480

Everyone has produced some nice looking blocks!

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 5:05 AM

oh help.  I am a newbie at paper piecing too.  I just have one question.  i am doing the snow blossoms block and have downloaded the templates.  i cut along the lines.  question is do i have to add my 1/4" seam allowance to every piece before i cut out my pieces.  i am findin this very imtimidating.   thank you for your help.

happy quilting

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 65
Points 1,180
lynn replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 5:08 AM

oh help.  i am new at paper piecing.  my question is do i have to add a 1/4" seam allowance to each piece after i ut along he template lines.

thank you

happy quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
lynnkonkin oh help. i am new at paper piecing. my question is do i have to add a 1/4" seam allowance to each piece after i ut along he template lines. thank you In the instructions it refers to Practice Paper Piecing click on that and it will show you how to PP and explain the 1/4" seam. Also Thea has written a wonderful explanation.

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,558
Points 246,072
Thea replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 8:10 AM

Melody, when you cut out a pattern for paper piecing - the outside needs a 1/4" added to it.  The inside pieces you sew right on those lines...

How I prepare a piece for paper piecing...

First I print the pattern out - then I fold each line both directions.  

The I get the fabrics that I am going to use.  

I fold that pattern so that I can see #1 and I take my fabric for #1 and make sure that the piece is big enough to cover the area plus at least 1/4" all the way around it...

Then I fold the pattern so that I can just see #2 - sometimes you have to fold other pieces back and inside so that just the #2 spot is showing and it can be difficult but you do it to the best you can...

After that I get the fabric for #2 - I put it on the wrong side of the paper and make sure the pieces again are 1/4' bigger all the way around.

I do this for each piece that I need...

Then the sewing begins...

I take that #1 fabric and I use a spot of glue and put it on the back side of the pattern - so the printed side is up - I hold it up to the light and make sure that I can see the fabric all the way around the area that needs to be covered...

I then fold on the line for #2... I lay the #2 piece of fabric on top of #1 fabric - right sides together - I fold that paper back wards over the fabrics and make sure that the paper now covers up the #2 piece of fabric - that way I know whether I have laid the fabric in the right direction... I then let the paper go back to normal - turn the whole thing over so now the printed side of the pattern is up and the fabric is underneath...

I then sew on the line - from point to point - I never go over lines unless they are outside lines... 

I then cut my thread and take the piece out - I turn it over and pull the #2 fabric over so I can now see the right side of both pieces - I hold it up to the light to make sure that I can see the pattern through it and that #1 and #2 fabrics cover the spots they need to cover...

I now turn it back over and fold that line back where the next fabric is to go - #3... I then lay it down so that whichever fabric it is to be sewn to - #1 or #2 shows beyond this folded edge - you have to have some fabric here and If I don't then I go back to that seam I just did - take it out and redo it as I have to have fabric here...

I then cut this fabric with my ruler so that it just hangs over by 1/4"... then then turn it over so fabric side is up - the pattern is straightened out and I put #3 fabric right sides together on - matching that edge - I know that I will have the 1/4" as I have done the preparation for this - I then fold the pattern back over top and make sure that the #3 spot fits within the #3 fabric all the way around...

I let the pattern go back to normal - turn over so I see the printed side of the pattern and sew on #3 line... after sewing I turn over - flatten out the #3 fabric - check to make sure that it covered the #3 area with some extra over the lines...

and I continue on - doing each section this way.

The next one I do I'll take pictures so that you can see my work step by step... I know that a picture tells way more then trying to figure it out with words...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,558
Points 246,072
Thea replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 8:13 AM

I am going to try and redo that one I am unhappy with today to get it to 12" but I am not going to promise - I am not sure my body is ready yet for me to sew - but I'll try... I have some repetitive actions that I do each step of the way but I very seldom have to undo a seam by having the material not cover what it needs to and I find that I get the pieces in the right direction this way too - I trim every seam after I sew it to 1/4" also so that I don't have a bunch of bulk ... I'll try and show that step with the pictures.

Page 21 of 41 (602 items) «Prev1920212223Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use