Did you work on your Bargello Quilt today?

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 636
Points 9,445
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:05 AM

Ok.  Last night I was laying out my backing and quilt top.  I'm using a solid, extra wide back.  I also checked my batting and decided to add another strip of yellow boarder to the top and bottom making my quilt more rectangular than square.  Here's another place where thinking ahead (and doing some math) would have paid off.  I didn't need to rip all of my strips in half for the boarder.  If I had left two their original width, I wouldn't have had to sew them back together.  Live and learn.  So the top is done.  Next step is to baste my layers together and start quilting.  So I am getting there.  I will post new photos once I have this all done.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement.  This has been my first Bargello and I am in love with the colors and pattern and the way it's turning out.

• Post Points: 5
replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:33 AM

Heh Joy When you start your Bargello, I would suggest you start with a small project. It really is not that hard once you get the concept. You make strip sets fold them in half to make a tube. Then cut the size stripes the pattern calls for from that tube.  Then  put strips together as pattern says. If you Glue small samples of the fabrics you want to use on a piece of paper, in the order you want to use them in and number them this will help keep you straight...  It does take concentration, but it isn't hard.  Sew, cut, sew back together.   End up with a beautiful pattern.   There are lots of beginner patterns  free ones too on the web.   Good luck, ask questions. Everyone is here for you.   Maybe we should post a small project for all to do, what does everyone think? I could find one for us all?  Let me know.  Candis

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 8:02 PM

Candis;

That sounds like a very good idea to share a small project for the beginners.  I have just started on another bargello quilt today..  I'm just half way through it on the sewing part.  I will finish the second part of the sewing Thursday, then make my tube.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 636
Points 9,445
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:18 PM

I  have been, step by step, inch by inch working and have got 1/2 the top quilted down.  But I'm finding it hard to stay inside after work and quilt when we're having a streak of very fine weather in the Chicago area.  I have family coming in Saturday, and will have this bad-boy DONE by then.  I will be off next week, so photos will be a while to post.  I must say, I have enjoyed this type of quilt and will do more in the future.  I'm in love with my colors.  They make me happy. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Hi. This weekend I started work on my fifth Bargello quilt. I am using the Sweet Dreams bargello pattern by Becky Botello. I really like her clear full color instructions.  I picked out the 24 batik fabrics and cut them into 2" strips. This will be my first bargello done with batik fabric. Picking out the fabric is one of my favorite parts of the process. After I had the fabric laid out as 2" strips it didn't look quite right, so I went back to my stash and made one substitution. Now I am happy with it. I started sewing the strips together in pairs. I got through strips 1 through 18. I will try to get a picture of my fabric choices posted by next weekend. Happy quilting.

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 636
Points 9,445
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:44 AM

Another deadline came and went.  I am nearly done though.  I'm tying off loose threads and have a bit of correction to do on the back.  Then the binding and I will be done.  I can't believe this quilt that I thought I would do in a month has taken me three.  What have I been doing with my time?

Margaret

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Progress update on Sweet Dreams Bargello pattern designed by Becky Botello. On Tuesday March 27th I finished sewing all my strips together in pairs, so that was strips 19-24. On  Wednesday I pressed all my pairs open. I am happy to report there was no bowing of the strip pairs so evidently I had my tension adjusted correctly. I stopped to buy batik fabric for $4.16 a yard at the Connecting Threads sale. What a great selection. I then started sewing my pairs of pairs together into quads. I got half way through, so I have completed sewing strips 13-24 in sets of 4. I have already used 2.5 bobbins of thread. Chugging along, just keep sewing.

Denise Smart

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 636
Points 9,445
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 10:33 AM

Remember to sew your pairs into fours in the opposite direction... I worked on mine last night.  Nearly done with the boarder, and some cleanup of the backside.  Will post photos on Monday!!!!

So excited to be nearly finished with this.

Margaret

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Thanks for the reminder.  I totally agree. My strips do not "bow" if I remember the three steps.  Make sure my tension is set correctly so the thread tension is even on the top and the bottom. Sew the strips together in alternating directions, so the pairs are sewn from top to bottom so I begin sewing with the ends being even, when joining the pairs into fours I sew from bottom to top or an easier way to remember is that I am sewing from the uneven end of the strips. Every time I am sewing strips together other than the first time when I am sewing pairs, I will be sewing from the uneven end. If this word description is not clear the book Twist and Turn Bargello Quilts by Eileen Wright  has very clear illustrations on pages 14-16. And the third step for straight strip sets is after you set the seam, to finger press the first inch of the seam open before you press it with the iron. Finger pressing the first inch is time consuming, but I get a straight strip set with no bowing.

Denise Smart

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

I am so excited. I finished sewing my strips together. It took just over 3 bobbins. I am  ready to sew it into a tube and start slicing. Please wish me luck as I chant my magic mantra "Measure twice, cut once" No slips, no mistakes. I should be pinning it up on my design wall in a few hours. Yeah

Denise Smart

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 7:26 PM

I did some sewing yesterday and today.  I am actually making some progress with sewing my strips.  Once I finish sewing the strips then I will start cutting my colour run.  I hope every thing turn out right.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 12:20 AM

Thanks Candis, that's good advice. I have never been one to start anything small, but I do have a pattern for a small bargello quilt I think I will try before getting into anything bed size.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

replied on Fri, Apr 13 2012 1:40 PM

Hi Arzella, I changed the home picture to one of yours, It is so lovely. You can change it anytime you want to. I looked at all the beautiful photos in the media section.   you all have been very busy, !! i love them all....

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 6:08 PM

Hello Candis;

Glad to hear from you.  I don't mind you changing the avatar.  I hope you're still will be moderator with me in this group so we can keep it going.  Have you noticed how many people have joined it.   Really surprised me.  Let's keep it going.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, May 19 2012 6:07 AM

My brother-in-law is getting married.  So I have dug out my bargello UFO.  It is a heart and perfect for a wedding gift.  It is about 1/6 of the way done, but it looks like something I can finish for his wedding in Sept 1.  I will just have to spend most of my free time on it.  Looks like Sunday will be my first chance.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 3 of 7 (92 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use