Did you work on your Bargello Quilt today?

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sun, Jan 29 2012 7:00 PM

I worked on my Bargello today.  I was hoping to finish it today but I got tired and quit.  I will work on it again tomorrow.  I hope I can finish it.

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Jan 30 2012 11:09 AM

I know you can do it.  Thnk how wonderful you'll feel being done with another one.

Margaret

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 7:27 PM

Well, I just finished sewing my strips together on my Bargello.  Now all I have to do is my border.  I posted it in the Media Gallery.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365

Ok. I've got my first of four sections cut and am more that half way through sewing them together.  Should be done by the end of the weekend with pressing and on to cutting my second section.  Moving right along.

Margaret

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 10:48 AM

I put my first section together and didn't like the layout, so I sewed the top to the bottom and ripped the seam.  Check out the media link to see my progress so far.  This is one of four sections to do. 

Moving right along.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 4:16 PM

I did some more on my Bargello over the weekend.  Thought I'd get all four sections done and put together.  I was lining up my strips on section two and  knew I had separated one of them in the wrong place, but compensated for it and corrected that later.  But when I moved my strips from one room to another I had dropped one and as I got to that point, I thought I had the rest of them separated in the wrong place.  I sewed the tops back to the bottoms and separated in what I thought was the right spot.  Then I found the missing strip and had to undo what I had just done to "correctly correct" them all.  What a time killer.  The rest of what I did went pretty smoothly.  I'm almost done with section three.  One more to go!  This will NOT be done by Valentines day.  Oh, well.  It was an arbitrary deadline anyway.  Maybe by the end of this weekend?

Moving right along.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:49 PM

Help.  I posted two new images in the Media section with two different layouts for my quilt.  I don't really want to start cutting new strips again, but if I did, one would be enough and may be the way to go.  I want the darkest purple to outline the shape, but as it is with 18 fabrics and 17 strips in each section, they don't meet.  I'm thinking I should do another one or two rows along the outside edge.   Or should I cut the last row in half and use it?  It's the same, largest width as the one next to it.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:10 PM

Ok.  So knowing the right thing to do is easy.  It's the doing it that's hard.  I went ahead and cut an extra set of strips and am in the process of sewing them together.  Should be done with that and the cross-cutting tonight.  I'm hoping to get the top done by the end of this weekend.

Everything has to be a challange.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:49 PM

Yes, everything IS a challange.  I put an extra set of strips together and did some cross cutting to add on to what I've already done.  Then I went back and was starting to sew my last section and something is askew.Somewhere along the way, one or more of my strips is the wrong width.  But it's ok.  I have extra and can figure out where I went wrong.  I can slip a corrected strip or two in where I need them. I've just got to go back and double check where that is.  I WILL fininsh the top this week!  OMG as my witness, I will.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Fri, Feb 24 2012 10:15 AM
I had to walk away from my Bargello for a while.  The last section was giving me such trouble.  Half of my strips were wrong (and I still don't know what happened).  But I went back last night and fixed everything.  45 minutes of seam ripping later, I was able to start fresh and finished that section.  I should be able to put all four together tonight, add on the extra strips and get the top done.  I"m wondering if I need to put one strip between the sections to separate the mirror so one color isn't right next to itself.  The vertical would be easy enough to slip in, but the horizontal is going to be more tricky.  Live and learn.  If I had set all my strips up for this effect originally, it wouldn't be an issue.  It will all work out in the end.
I'm just happy to have finished all four sections at this point!
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:28 AM

Oh wow! Reading these posts makes me think completely differently about the Bargello! For some reason I thought it would be an "easy" quilt to do....now I'm thinking quite differently!

I still can't get started....my DH is having surgery on Tuesday and we are really short on cash. And ya know I need fabric to start this quilt!  I dwindled my stash down so much last year; I don't have enough primary colors to make a rainbow bargello like I want to. grrrr!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 10:29 AM

Arzella thanks again for mediating this group! I think I'm gonna need lots of help and advice when I get started!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Feb 27 2012 11:07 AM

I did.  I did.  I did work on my quilt and just about finished the top.  The Bargello sections are done and put together.  I have a boarder to put on and some squares for the outside edge to do, but I posted new photos of my work.  Will get it done and put up better pictures.  If I can do this, you can do this, y'all.

The sew must go on!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 11:22 AM

I put a 5" yellow boarder on my quilt.  It's now  84 x 84.  I'm debating if I should go further with another boarder around that, or just finish?  I'm thinking I'll just finish. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:28 PM

Margaret, I would like to see your finished Bargello when you get the boarder on.  Don't forget to post it in the media section.

Page 2 of 7 (92 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use