What type of sewing machine do you have?

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella Posted: Wed, Aug 7 2013 7:09 PM

I have a Singer ce 100 upgraded to a ce 250.  I hae not had any problems with my machine.  I love it.  I  have taught myself how to embroider on it.  My husband is amazed when I set a program on the computer to go to the sewing machine and it start sewing by itself.   Tell me about your sewing machine and how you like it.

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,635
Gail71 replied on Wed, Aug 7 2013 7:33 PM

I have more than one machine for different jobs.  My main machine is a Pfaff 7530.  It's a workhorse for my piecing with the dual feed.  I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter that I use for machine quilting.  I like the space in the harp and the variable speed.  I got the rail with it, but didn't like it so use as a regular machine quilter.  I guess it's because I started quilting on the 7530.  I also have a Featherweight that I love for paper piecing.  Just bought the Pfaff 13 pounder.  It's great for workshops and travel because of the weight.  The price was very reasonable for all the features that it has which include that wonderful dual feed, needle down and variable speed.  

Gail

• Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Hello, I am new to the group. I have been a creeper on QCA for along time. I feel like I know everyone. I have recently retired and feel like I can participate now. I am looking forward to having some fun now!  I sew on a Viking sapphire.  It's a 870 quilter. I love my Vikings . I have 2. But the 870 is my favorite to piece with.  I also have a Viking 18-8 long arm. I have had it for 3 years now, still learning new things on her.  I like to do freehand edge to edge quilting. Never liked the fancy designs, just the simple quilting.  Well that's it. I have done a few Bargellos but looking forward to doing more! Love the artistic look of them.  Thanks for having me!   Oh!    my name is Marla, from California!   

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,635
Gail71 replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 10:39 AM

Hi Marla, Welcome to the group and retirement.  I retired 14 years ago when I sold my quilt shop where I sold Pfaff machines.  That is why I have the Pfaffs and I love the dual feed.  Watch out for the folks looking for volunteers.  It has gotten me very busy in retirement.  Anxious to see some of your quilts.

Gail in NH

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 10:51 AM

Hello Gail and welcome,  I heard about the pfaff machines,  they are suppose to be some food machines.  How are they on quilting?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Thank you for the Welcome!  I used to own a Pfaff. Hobby Quilter. That's where I learned to Quilt. I put that sucker on a frame and went to town. Then I moved to the 18-8.  I would love a  bigger long arm, but I don't think Finances will allow the luxury of that, so I am happy with what I have.  I love making my own quilts from start to finish! I mostly do quilts for family and friends, with charity's sprinkled in!  I used to have to quilt around work schedule, looking forward to quilting now when I want to!,  I am just so darned excited!  Thanks again!  

MODESTO, CA.
  • Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 10:55 AM

Hello Marla and welcome,  I also have heard of the Viking.  Does it embroider?  You must put some of your Bargello pictures in the gallery.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Arzella:

Hello Marla and welcome,  I also have heard of the Viking.  Does it embroider?  You must put some of your Bargello pictures in the gallery.

Hello, No , it does not embroider. I had a singer Futura once for that. I quickly learned I didn't like to embroider!  I guess if I had a better machine like the Viking Ruby, I would enjoy it more. But man, the cost of those things is like buying a car!!  This is such an expensive hobby!! Lol. I love every part of quilting!!  I will post pics someday!  Thanks for the welcomes!!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,635
Gail71 replied on Thu, Aug 8 2013 11:23 AM

I like to use the Grand Quilter for quilting as it has a wide harp and variable speed.  It works well for free motion without going to the big professional quilters.  My other Pfaff works well with straight machine quilting (7530) because of the built in walking foot called a dual feed.  The light weight one that I just got would not work well for quilting full size quilts as the "harp" area is not very wide.  The harp the distance from the needle to the side with all the controls. 

Gail

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 725
Points 14,125

I have a Janome for regular sewing and a Brother PE 150 embroidery machine. I've had the embroidery machine for years. I don't use it very much. It requires memory cards for the patterns. Someday I'll upgrade to a better, more contemporary, machine. I have a Gammill 30-12 with Statler Stitcher for quilting. I've had that for 2 years and I'm still learning!  Anxious to go to the next set of classes in October.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 872
Points 14,980

Carol I am so envious you, I have wanted a Gammil system for years!    Wish the fairys  would grant that wish!!      For now I will be thankful for my 18-8....but oh how I drool for the Gammil!!  

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 24
Points 675
Annette replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 1:31 PM

Okay please don't laugh. I am a beginner and I bought a machine a few years ago, a Singer Simple 3116 to be exact, from Walmart because it was the first time ever touching a machine and I didn't want to invest anything in it if I thought I might  not stay with it. That was maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I did stay with it (sewing) and eventually tried quilting and fell in love with it. My mom gave me her machine earlier this year that she had bought but had NEVER touched because she just couldn't get used to it. It is a Janome Kenmore 385.15343600 and we bought it from Sears. I use both machines to piece and to machine quilt. After I machine quilted a rag quilt, a baby quilt, and two table runners, my Singer started making loud noises so I don't use it much anymore because it frightened me. Lately, I have been shopping around. I have my heart set on a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 but I have to save up my pennies.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 600
uaniquilt replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 12:35 AM

The Gammils are nice, but take the time to try several brands .   The longarms are such a big investment, you have to try several to be sure which one is the best fit for you.  I thought I wanted an A-1 or a Gammil, but after trying the Innova, I was sold on it.  I now have a 26" Innova, am super happy with it, they have great customer service - you can call them 24/7 - and the price is excellent.  Hope you can get your longarm soon!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 6:52 PM

Uaniquilt, that is a good idea.  I ever thought to try them out.  I'm in Middletown, a small town with nothing much here to offer.  I would have to go to Dayton or Cincinnati.  Bummer isn't it.  Maybe one day I might venture out to check them out.  Congratulations on getting your Innova.  Send a few pictures this way on the quilting you have done.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 7:11 PM

Hello Annette, and welcome to the quilting world.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask us.  Take a look at our gallery.  There are pictures posted of Bargello quilts.  You should try a Hand at it.  That is what all of us are working on.  Give it a go.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use