Do you have any tips?

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella Posted: Mon, Apr 22 2013 5:02 PM

If you have some tips you would like to share, then you can share them here with the new quilter or the experienced quilter.

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Wed, Apr 24 2013 5:42 AM

Definitely do "directional" sewing when sewing your strips  together to avoid the "wavy or warped" thing that happens when you just sew strips together.

Kathy

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Kathy, what is "directional" sewing in this context? 

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

What do you mean by directional?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,635
Gail71 replied on Fri, May 10 2013 1:28 PM

What I do is sew pairs together all going in the same direction.  I then sew the pairs together in the opposite direction.  That way your panels don't get "wavey" or look like a giant banana!

Gail in NH

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Fri, May 10 2013 1:41 PM

Directional sewing is where all even number strips are always on top.  In other words you would sew strip one to strip 2 with two on the top and then when you add strip three you would turn your work and sew from the bottom; then add number 4 and you are sewing from the top again.  Hope this helps.

Kathy

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 610

I have a tip that has always worked for me . I pin the first two strips , one pin on the top , then middle then bottom , I pin while its sitting on my lap . The third strip I just sew and the 4th pin , 5th just sew and 6th pin  and so on.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sat, May 11 2013 5:20 PM

You guys have some good tips.  Don't forget to put your finished Bargello quilt in the media section for all us to see.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 894
Points 16,935

I would like to try designing my own bargello quilt. Does anyone have any tips for how to get started? I have EQ which is supposed to have the capability to assist with bargello  design, but I find it's not that easy for that purpose. The only Bargello-specific software I've found is not Windows 7 compatible. Are there any good books out for bargello design? Any online classes?

• Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 610

Try Bargello 32 , that is what i use

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 894
Points 16,935

I emailed Soft Expressions.com about the info on their site.  It says bargello 32 is not compatible with Windows 7, but it also says it is!  Their reply was to download the demo to see if it works. The person said it's old software no longer supported by the developer so no new version is available.  Do you use it with Windows 7?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 894
Points 16,935

OK, so I figured I'd try the download. My computer gives me a message that "bar.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer."  Wish I knew a computer programmer who could develop some updated software!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 610

I also have windows 7 , it works fine .Before you purchase I would recommend you download the free trial i think its 30 days

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 894
Points 16,935

Thanks, Becky, for your help!  I tried the download again and my laptop gave me 3 different messages telling me that it's not going to work since it's a 16-bit application. Oh, well.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 610

ohh thats sad . sorry

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use