Introduce yourself to the group here

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,935
Points 777,995
QCA Admin Posted: Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:17 AM

Please introduce yourself to the group in this discussion thread. 

• Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Is anybody else getting this message when they try to start a new topic using  "Write A new Post"

Either this forum does not exist or you are not allowed to post.

It doesn't happen to me in the other groups I belong too.

I have been trying for weeks to start a new topic to see if there is any interest on a tutorial on how to quilt your bargello by following the lines of the pattern with your walking foot. I would concentrate on where do you start, and which direction to travel to minimize distortion of the quilt, and minimize stuffing the quilt body through the throat of your machine. It is an easy (but not quick) no marking method that adds texture and shadow while enhancing the sense of movement. I did a Google search and couldn't find anything.

Here is an example of what can be achieved with a walking foot.

Denise Smart

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 1:06 PM

This is beautiful and a tutorial would be great!

Kathy

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 2:46 PM

Denise Smart:

Is anybody else getting this message when they try to start a new topic using  "Write A new Post"

Either this forum does not exist or you are not allowed to post.

It doesn't happen to me in the other groups I belong too.

Denise,

it may be that only the moderator can start a new thread in this group. Many groups are like that to keep them from getting out of hand with too many discussions for the moderator to keep on track.

• Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

Kris:

it may be that only the moderator can start a new thread in this group. Many groups are like that to keep them from getting out of hand with too many discussions for the moderator to keep on track.

Thanks for the explanation Kris. I am a better quilter than I am with computers and am having a hard time figuring out this site. So if I would like to start a new thread, such as to see if there is any interest on quilting your bargello with a walking foot, I should contact the moderator??? Most threads were started by Arzella, but a few by Candis. How do I figure out who the moderator is, and what is the correct etiquette for contacting them? Is this covered in a Help file or FAQ section?

Clueless, but sincerely trying to learn. Thanks.

Denise Smart

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:03 PM

Denise,

You're welcome.

The group homepage usually states who "owns" the group. You would normally contact her to start a new thread for you. I think it's Arzella. If all else fails write to admin.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 319
Points 7,240
didash replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:14 AM

Planning on starting my first bargello when I get home in a couple of months.  Hoping to pick up some tips and tricks from this group - especially when it comes to quilting the project.  It will be a simple bargello, king sized, and quilted on my small home machine :)  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 70
Peggi replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 7:37 PM

Hi, 
I am a new quilter from Central MA and I just finished piecing my first Bargello quilt. It looks like a first quilt, lol, but I am hoping to get better as I get more experience. One difficulty I had while machine piecing was keeping my pattern matched up, it seemed to drift even though I was carefully attempting to keep seams together. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Peggi 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,355

HI Peggi, welcome to the bargello group. Did you press your seams open or one side? If you pressed the seams open the only way to prevent seams drifting is to pin (ugh) or use a stiletto. If you pressed the seams to one side then the seams should nest together when you join the strips. If at all possible, feed the strips into the machine so that the seams pressed to the one side on the top is facing away from you, towards the feed dogs. The seam on the bottom side of the strip being joined, the side resting on the sewing machine, should have the seam facing towards you. A stiletto is occasionally helpful here to to stretch or crunch two seams that don't nest perfectly. In this configuration the feed dogs will attempt to nest the seams together all by itself.

And remember that the quilt maker sees every imperfection. Most people looking at the quilt won't even notice an occasional mismatched seam.

Happy quilting.

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 70
Peggi replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 5:31 AM

Thanks, Denise!
I pressed them all to one side and I figured that was the fix AFTER I started sewing them together (of course). I also learned that my choice of fabrics had a bit to do with some of my difficulty with seams ... some were stiffer than others, therefore being somewhat resistant to my attempts to coax the seam to the stiffer side. So, my fabric choices in the future will keep that in mind. The good thing about my first attempt at Bargello, it's for my mum and she will love anything I give her!  

I am learning as I go and I appreciate you taking the time to give me your recommendations. I think I have read every book available at our library getting ideas and tips. I do enjoy the visualization process as well as honing my techniques to improve the outcome of my project. I have looked at some of the quilts here (yours and others) and they are inspiring! 

Thanks again! 

Peggi

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use