What Bargello project are you working on?

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 1:32 PM

I think 10-12 is a good number to start with.  I doing my first one with 18.  I would say, stick to an even number, just 'cause.

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
JHowson replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 2:14 PM

Thanks Margaret...never took in consideration even number. Thanks.

Judy

Judy

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 90
jobago replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 1:31 PM

I am new to Bargello Quilting.  My first project will be a king size self designed curve as a wedding present.  I have finished reading the directions included in the book by Marge Edie.  Her directions seem clear and I'm looking forward to getting started.  I will be using all batiks.  Mostly in all values of blues with some medium value yellow/golds and a touch of dark value magenta. I am using 15 fabrics.  I have washed all the fabrics and am starting work on drawing the curve.  Have you had any experience using batiks in bargello?

Just wondering if I should expect problems.  Also do you recommend using Best Press to prepare the fabric for cutting?

I think this group is a great idea and a powerful way to exchange info and our experiences!q

Joni

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 39
Points 460

Very ambitious for first Bargello. The batiks should look nice. I never used anything to add to the fabric. Pressing was enough

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 2:52 PM

Judy, how's it going?  How many fabrics are you using for your bargello? 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
JHowson replied on Wed, Feb 22 2012 5:45 PM

Hi Margaret,

Well I finally made a decision this past weekend and started my Bargello.  The pattern is from The Bargello Quilt Book by Piecemakers.  Doing a Wall size.  Could do 10 or 12 colors I went with 10.  The colors are plum, sage green, two florals, light green prints.  I will try to figure out how to put pictures out here.  I took a picture of the color line up with my phone to see how they looked together and I was very happy with them.  So I cut my colors into 2" strips times 4.  I sewed my first set last night.  Have 3 more sets to do. This pattern calls for you to do  4 sets press all seams and then trim one edge and cut the called for amount of strips and different sizes.  Then you put each of those strips into a tube, color 1 to color 10.  I noticed alot of times some patterns have you sew a whole set into a tube and then cut your strips.  I pretty sure I'm reading it correctly.  Tonight after dinner I am planning to get another set done before bed.  At least that is my intention!!!  LOl  What are you working on?

Judy

Judy

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 11:16 PM

Yes you should take them in order recommended. You learn the tricks of making the tubs and four really good beginner designs. I learned a lot from that class. It was awesome their teachers are awesome too. Well worth the money to pay for their classes any of them. I have also taken a portrait class, and others from there as well.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 11:24 PM

Never done anything past the class. I guess I might need patterns lol. I would like to do my own design one day but I think that may be a bit down the road. Good luck. I have used batiks no problems with them. Never used anything but normal pressing though for the fabrics.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:13 AM

I've got my four sections together now and posed in the media gallery.  I did sew my strips into tubes and then cross cut and then had my strips all ready to separate where I needed them to be.  What kind of pattern are you using?  I can tell you one thing, not using a pattern.  I was only able to think so far ahead of my work.  All sections have the sames colors touching, which is ok, but not what I would have done if I had thought it through all the way.  But I still love it.  I'm hung up on my boarder now.  I think I'll do a braided boarder.  We'll see.  Good luck on your.  Keep us posted.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:45 PM

Hey Margaret;

I looked in the media section and saw your bargello quilts.  They are beautiful.  You did a very good job.  You must have been doing bargello's for some time.  I am working on one now and hopefully it will come out ok.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Tue, Mar 13 2012 12:29 PM

Arzella I'm sure your Bargello will come out great! I am almost finished with the quilt I had to get done and then I'm going to start my bargello, finally!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sat, Mar 31 2012 10:39 PM

I am now working on my third Bargello.  The first two were like small samples.  Right now I am in the process of sewing the strips together.  Hopefully I will be finished with it sometime next week.

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 12
Points 90
jobago replied on Sun, Apr 1 2012 9:07 AM

I am taking the Bargello Blues class on Quilt University in order to make a small bargello before I start the king size. I'm just starting to cut the strips for the stratas and hope to have the strips cut and ready to sew today.  I'm also taking an EQ7 course at the same time.  Probably not my wisest decision, but I really wanted to do both classes.  They will keep me busy, but I hope to learn a lot!

Joni

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 12:22 AM

Which Bargello pattern are you doing now Arzella?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 102
Points 1,635
Gail71 replied on Thu, Apr 5 2012 3:06 PM

Hi Joni,

I took the Bargello Blues class the first time that it was offered.  It was really fun.  If you go to the supply list that is my quilt that she has there.  I was very surprised that she used it and that it has stayed there all this time.  I have made a bunch of them as it is visually fun.  It was the first "twist and turn" type of bargello that I had done.  Have moved others since then, but it all started with Bargello Blues.  Have fun with it.  Gail in NH

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) Prev123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use