What Bargello project are you working on?

rated by 0 users
This post has 31 Replies | 9 Followers

Posted: Sun, Jan 15 2012 1:51 PM

Just wondering which project all of you are working on. Is their a name to you bargello? Which colors are you using. If you haven't started a bargello project, Would you like a simple pattern for ummmm lets say a table runner or small lap quilt? let.s hear from everyone, with pictures of coarse of any stage of your quilt......

• Post Points: 110
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 10:53 AM

I've started my eleventh quilt and decided it should be a bargello.  It will be for a cousin's high school graduation and is in yellow, orange, pink, purple and red.  I've cut 4 sets of strips of 18 fabrics and plan to mirror image each set, top and bottom, and left and right.  Each strip is sewn to it's neighbor and I'm in the process of the first round of pressing.  I'm a bit nervous about cross cutting my strips.  I hope I can keep them straight and even.  Any advice?

Margaret

• Post Points: 50
replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 11:28 AM

Hi Margaret, Your Bargello sounds like it will be wonderful, what pattern are you doing it in?   When you sew your strips together are you alternating the direction you sew them in? That keeps the seams straight. And just making sure all are 1/4 inch seams. Sometimes mine stray a little when I chain piece.   My segments always came out straight, it's those 1 inch or 1 and 1/2 inch segments I didn't like. You end up having such a small area to sew.  I can't wait to see yours. Please take pics to post in various stages of construction if you can.  I think I will do the same.   It may help others to see your strips and your tubes.  

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 11:55 AM

I will sew in opposite directions, if I can remember to do so.  I'm not really working from a pattern, just a general idea from the basic instructions I've found on how to do a Bargello quilt.  I've seen Becky B's quilts and they're amazing.  I've also found some other images online.  This is the mirror image look I'm sort of going for.

• Post Points: 35
replied on Mon, Jan 16 2012 9:48 PM

I think this will be beautiful! Can't wait to see it!

• Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:25 PM

Margaret;

You will do a good job.  I can't wait to see it.  I am happy that you decided on a bargello because I think they are so beautiful.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Wed, Jan 18 2012 6:33 PM

Candis;

I just finished my first Bargello quilt.  It is a small hanging quilt.  It is yello and blue and called Ocean Blue.  Take a look at it in the media file.

replied on Mon, Jan 23 2012 8:38 PM

http://quiltville.com/scrapbargello.shtml this is a good site to see construction of a Bargello quilt.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:27 PM

Margaret;

Your Bargello quilt is very pretty.  What size is it?  I love the detail in the design.  Make sure you post your Bargello quilts in the media section for all of us to see.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Jan 31 2012 7:29 PM

Today I finally finished sewing my strips together.  Now all I have to do is put my border on.  I posted it in the media gallery.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 350
Vickievan replied on Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:46 AM

Margaret.  I just watched the tip 'o the day :-).  I think it is terrific and could solve your problem!!  That shelf liner stuff (you can even buy it at the dollar store) under your ruler.  I bought a bamboo drawer divider from Costco.  It came with the stuff.  It is long and narrow so it didn't take much trimming to fit it under my rulers.  Wow an easy thing to do and it really works!!!  No more crooked cuts!!!

Vickie

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 69
Points 1,690
Debbie replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 7:00 AM

I took a "class" (if you wanna call it that) to do a Bargello Heart Quilt...Queen Size! I originally asked for a class to learn to do actual Quilting, and I was told that it is something that "cannot be taught". So, after that I was talked into the Bargello class. I was there for 8 hours the first day. They had already taken one side of the selvage edges of the material (they sold me a kit) which is in West Virginia University colors. 

We managed to get the tubes done and strips cut that day. I was sent home with a set of instructions and they are incomplete. Needless to say, I don't think I will take any more lessons from that shop. My sections were coming out curved! I asked how I could avoid this and was told it was my machine. I had a feeling that I should sew my strips (as you suggest) in alternate directions. I am so glad I saw your comment about that! 

Since then, I have found another WONDERFUL quilt shop close to me. They told me that YES, quilting (not piecing) CAN be taught. And they would love to teach me. They will even give instructions on Longarming...even if you do not own one!

Anyway...to make a long story longer...I have the top 1/3 of the quilt put together and I guess I'm a little afraid of attempting to complete it. But now that I have joined this group, I have a new found courage!

Thanks for the advice and I may need you in the near future if I make a mess of things LOL...

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 8:49 AM

Debbie; 

Here is a website you can go to if you are interested in learning how to do bargello's.  I am taking a class now and it is great.  Check it out.  http://www.quiltuniversity.com

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
JHowson replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:44 PM

Hi,

As I type I have my bargello material in the washer.  Colors are in the plum, sage greens, cream, lavender etc.  One large floral print as my main fabric that I am getting other colors from.  Have never made a Bargello and only have off an on quilted.  Been reading, reading and more reading up on this technique....I think I'm overreading! LOL  I just need to jump in.  A friend is coming up this weekend to get me started...so no way out now!  Can't wait really.  Doing this for a ladies birthday at work which is in December.  So I think that gives me plenty of time to get it all done.  I keep jumping from patterns. Some have to many colors and I guess that would be a little much for a beginner to start out with...You all think 10 to 12 colors for a beginner is best?  Paint by Numbers is 28 colors but really like it.  It by Mabeth Oxenreider.  Found pattern in my August 2007 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting that is the Better Homes and Garden magazine.

If anyone has any suggestions on a pattern let me know....I'm more into regular Bargello Quilts not the twist ones...for now.  Also, so any of you know where I could find another Bargello pattern by Mabeth Oxenreider called Jewell...found a picture on one of the websites but nothing for a pattern or any magazine articles. 

Judy

Kentucky Quilter in the making!!

Judy

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 185
JHowson replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 12:51 PM

Hi Arzella,

I did check out the QuiltUniversity ...they have some great things being offered.  I'm waiting for March when they will start up the beginners class for Bargello quilting again.  I think I need that before advancing...especially since I'm just this week will be starting my first attempt at a Bargello.

Judy

Judy

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use