Did you work on your Bargello Quilt today?

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,817
Points 352,377
Kris replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:44 PM

I love it Patti.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Beautiful, tks for sharing.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Got all six panels of the Grotto bargello finished and auditioned border fabric. The fabric I had hoped to use definitely did not work. With bargello quilts I only get to use the border fabric I had hoped to use about half the time. So far I can't figure out the difference between why sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. I don't have a book that addresses bargello border selection. Does anybody have an info on bargello border selection?

The Spiral Burst bargello pattern by Becky Botello is still my favorite. I have selected all 24 oriental fabrics to make the pattern again. This will be the first time I have ever made the same pattern three times.

Denise Smart

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

I am working on the oriental version of the Spiral Burst bargello pattern.  I realize now why I have never seem a bargello done with oriental fabric. A lot of the oriental fabric is highly directional. I had to think and think how to orient all the strip sets so the finished quilt will have all the fabric pointing in the right direction. Time will tell if I got the direction right. It sure is pretty fabric. Very detailed, and lots of metallic highlights.

All 24 fabrics are pressed, and rotary cut into strips. I got all the directional orientations set (I hope) and started sewing together the strip sets.

Denise Smart

• Post Points: 20
replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 9:54 PM

I can not wait to see this one. Oriental is some of my favorite fabrics. I have a large collection, and your right directional! I don't think I ever noticed before!  

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Wah. Boo hoo. I got all eight strip sets sewn together and sewed into tubes ready to cut into columns. I thought they looked nice. Very elegant. Just to be safe I modeled the strip set in the Spiral Burst pattern in Electric Quilt. It looked horrible. I am not exaggerating. I tried all 24 variations (variation one has fabric one in the upper left hand corner, variation 2 has fabric 2 in the upper left corner etc). They all looked bad. The problem is I had 5 darks all right next to each other. Turns out this does not work in the Spiral Burst pattern. I can usually spot when the fabric does not work when I have it cut as strips and laid out next to each other. I suspect this is due to this particular pattern. It might have worked okay in a different bargello pattern. After experimenting in EQ I found where I can change one fabric and get the pattern to work okay. Now I have to rip apart 8 strip sets and sew in a new fabric. I need a hug, or some chocolate, or both.

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 517
Points 10,530

Hi, Everyone!  I am working on my first bargello, using Eileen Wright's Surf Song pattern in 98" x  96" size. It's turning out well so far. I would like to design my own pattern after I complete this quilt. When you do your own design, do you make the strip sets first, then cut and move them around, or do you do a drawing first, or do you use some software for it?  I am really happy with how bargello looks and want to do lots more!

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Oct 17 2012 10:23 AM

Carol, when I did my quilt, I just kind of ran with it.  It was nothing too difficult.  Do remember as you start to lay out your second round of cut strips, that you will need to mirror your layout (learned that the hard way on mine).  This may need to be done side to side and top to bottom.  It totally depends on what you want to come up with.   Also keep in mind your center(s) may need one single strip or whatnot depending on what you're doing.  Before you commit to a lot of strips, you may want to consider how much fabric you have and how much you will need if your colors vary in different sections of your pattern. There are also several books with patterns you can find. But there are no quilting poice here.  The best way to learn is to do. 

There is also another conversation string in the Bargello group where you can ask for specific help. 

Have fun!

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

There are two software programs that I have used to design bargello patterns.

The least expensive, easiest to learn and use is Bargello Designer 32

http://softexpressions.com/software/bar/

Good for basic to intermediate designs.

I have also used Electric Quilt 6 and now 7 (EQ6 and now EQ7). This is a more expensive deluxe software program. It can create even the most complex bargello patterns. You can scan and import fabric. The entire program has a big learning curve, but if you only want to learn how to do bargellos you can learn just this basic feature in a few days.

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 517
Points 10,530

Thanks, Denise. I was wondering about those 2 programs. I'm not sure about the Bargello Design 32. I can only find it for sale as a download. But the site says the download is not compatible with Windows 7, which I have. I've been thinking about purchasing EQ7. Right now I have Quilt-Pro V6 and I use that a lot. It doesn't do bargello though. Maybe I'll go ahead and get EQ7. I'm glad you mentioned that- I was trying to find out if it did bargello designs. Playing around with designing is almost as much fun as making the quilts!

Have a wonderful day!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 415
Points 5,370
Kathy replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 4:58 AM

cAROL, I have EQ7 and while I am in the learning curve, I like it a lot and they have some classes on Quilt University which are very good and helpful.  I had the same problem when I checked the Bargello software as I have Windows 7 and now we have Windows 8 coming out so this program is either outdated or they need to update as the programs they listed like 98 and XP are no longer being supported.

Have a great day!

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 517
Points 10,530

Well, I ordered EQ7 from Amazon today and will probably get it on Monday. Maybe I'll have the bargello that I've started done by Monday  ( the top, not the whole quilt ) and I'll be able to start a design on EQ7.  I love getting new toys!

Thanks, Everyone, for your help.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Carol, I'm looking forward to seeing your Surf Song bargello. It is such a pretty pattern, with lots of movement. When you get EQ7 there is a lesson on how to create bargellos. From the top menu bar select Help > How Do I> How to:Quilts > Create a Bargello quilt. It is a great place to start. When you get more comfortable with the program, you can also insert pre-colored blocks instead of coloring each piece individually. Did you know there is also an Electric Quilt Group here at QCA?

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 517
Points 10,530

I wasn't aware of the EQ group-- I'll join that one for sure. According to Amazon, my EQ7 will be delivered today- hurray! And thanks for your info about the EQ7 bargello. That helps a lot. I spent yesterday rearranging my sewing room, then putting it all back where it was because the outlets just weren't in the right places for my new arrangement. Then I put up a curtain rod with clip hooks to hang quilts in order to photograph them. That didn't work- I won't ramble on about the details- and ended up with Command hooks and safety pins. So, anyway, not much sewing done yesterday. Definitely will work on my Surf Song today. At least until my EQ7 arrives.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 561
Points 9,895

Could use some help on working on mine. I am a first timer. And I choose the book, "A new slant on Bargello quilts" by Marge Edie.  I like the idea that you quilted it as you went.

Okay my problem. It calls for a ruler that I just cant find. It is " bias stripper ruler".( Martingale & company) ( also on ruler reads " the patchwork place, inc) I found something with a similar name but looks nothing like it. ( I havent went to LQS yet, some times I look on line first , less sticker shock when I get to the store). All you using it for is to cut a 45 on the strips to make an up or down slant. It says it allows for seam allowance (?)

Any help here? do I need it. Cant I just use the 45 on my cutting board?

Oh, almost forgot, While searching I ran across this rulers with "Diamond Carbide edge" Has anyone tried? any good? worthless?

Tami of Walla Walla, Washington

Page 6 of 7 (92 items) «Prev34567Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use