Did you work on your Bargello Quilt today?

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Finished sewing together the four panels of the Spiral Burst Bargello pattern. It will be called Pillar of Fire when completed. I am working on choosing and adding the borders. I have decided to use Jinny Beyers Outback border print in the yellow colorway. Hope to have it done by this weekend, if not sooner.

Denise Smart

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 10:22 PM

Looking forward to seeing your quilt Denise.  I have 8 more seams to have the body of my quilt together, then just the borders.  Hope to start quilting this weekend. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 9
Points 45
Gina replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:23 PM

Candice is right Margaret.  There is no wrong way.  I also use steam, but I heard it will stretch the fabric. So I use it alot but I let it cool a bit before I move it around and possibly stretch it, especially bias edges can get wonky.  Good Luck with whatever you chose.  One hint is to not over think any choice you make.  Any mistake can be fixed, and any mistake is a learning experience.  Go for it!.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Got one border finished on the Pillar of Fire bargello. The quilt insisted that it wanted a three border mitered frame. I tried to talk it into something easier, but it finally convinced me to listen to the quilt and do the more complicated border. The first piece looks lovely, and adds a lot to the quilt. I am having so much fun on this bargello that I have decided to do it again in cool colors. I looked in my stash and was immediately drawn to Sue Beevers Daylily Fields. Can wait to finish this bargello and start the next.

Denise Smart

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025

Darla, looking online I found some simple instructions for Bargello beginners.  Colors choices vary, but the advice I got was to pick two color stories and go from dark to light to dark.  Mine had pinks (including red and purple)and oranges(including yellows).  I started with my darkest purple and lined up to my lightest pink, then to my lightest yellow and back to purple.

Hope this helps.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Oh boy. I have sprained my back really bad crawling around on the floor pinning on the borders for the Pillar of Fire bargello, not to mention wrestling all that bulk through the sewing machine. I have all four borders pieced, three are attached and two corners are mitered. While my back is recovering I started work on the cool colors version of Spiral Burst Bargello. My focus fabric is Sue Beevers Daylily Fields. I choose the 24 fabrics inspired by that piece. Making the strata sets is much easier on my back.

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
darla65 replied on Sat, Aug 18 2012 5:45 PM

Thank you, MaggieNae for the info.  Haven't started looking for fabric. It seems to be a little overwhelming to me. I don't really know how to start looking, but gotta do it.

Darla

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Hi Darla. If this is your first bargello have fun and reduce the stress by selecting any 24 fat quarters from either Benartex Fossil Fern or Northcotts Stonehenge line. These mottled near solids blend beautifully while adding richness, depth, and movement to your bargello.  www.thousandsofbolts.com has the Stonehenge line (look at the bar near the top, click on Speical Offers to see all the different Stonehange lines) and is having a flat rate $3.95 shipping sale. Happy quilting.

Denise Smart

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 9:58 PM

Finally finished the top.  I will try and post in media.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 610
Points 9,025
MaggieNae replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 5:37 PM

Darla, to pick colors you can search Bargello images online and look for what you like.  You can also Just go to your LQS and start pulling coordinated fabrics from the same line.  I would start with your favorite color or two and go from there.  I know you're working from a pattern, but 24 colors is a lot to work with.  Mine was 18 it was a lot. I think I started with 22, and pulled out some that were too close to each other.  You can use as few as 8-12.  You can also pick up some fat quarters as suggested and make a practice piece to see how you like them, or order 1/4 yards so you have the full widths to play with.  Remember, they should be fun to do so don't fret over it too much.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
darla65 replied on Tue, Aug 21 2012 7:00 PM

MaggieNae, I ordered some fabric from the Stonehenge line as you suggested. I hope I like the fabric., but will need to get more fabric. Thanks again, Darla

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Finally got the last border on the Pillar of Flame bargello and posted it to the Show & Tell Gallery. Oh my aching back. Now I get to celebrate with some chocolate.

Denise Smart

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:01 PM

Denise, I just saw it in show and tell.  it's soooooooooooooooooooo fantastic!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

I am making steady progress on my second version of the Spiral Burst Bargello pattern by Becky Botello. I am using cool colors this time. The quilt will be called Grotto when completed. I divided the quilt into six pieces instead of the usual four. With six pieces it fits unto my table better and I get a better (faster) feeling of accomplishment as I complete each piece. I have three pieces done, and hope to complete the fourth piece  today. Since this quilt is calm and soothing I am going to do a much simpler border on it.

I am starting to think of the next bargello. I am trying to decide between a turquoise and orange quilt ( third color not yet picked) or I may try a bargello with small and medium scale oriental fabric (mainly because I just bought a bunch of oriental fabric on sale)  Has anybody tried using oriental fabric in a bargello? How did it work out?

Denise Smart

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 9:37 PM

I did finally finish my bargello heart.  I have posted it in media.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• Post Points: 35
Page 5 of 7 (92 items) «Prev34567Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use