Welcome to Bargello Group. Introduce yourself.

rated by 0 users
This post has 65 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sun, Feb 5 2012 6:55 PM

Hello Rochelle and Welcome to the group....  We all love the bargello's and work hard at trying to be the best at it.  Give it a try and I hope that we will see a picture of your completed bargello in the media section.  I am a beginner myself to the bargello's.  I also fell in love with them.  I am now on my third one.  Check out the media section where we have pictures of our bargello's.  I am starting small and then when I get good at it I will go to something larger.  Good luck with your bargello.

• Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 17
Points 815
Tylea replied on Mon, Feb 6 2012 4:21 PM

Hello, I've been quilting for quit a few yrs. Learned to quilt in Michigan, dear lady had a shop in New Era. She had a wonderful shop in a strip mall there. I drove over 45 miles one way for her to teach me how to quilt. Shes gone now but I'm still quilting every chance I get. I'm here in Montana now and have been working a lot at a c-store. Looking to have back surgery very soon, have dr. appt tomorrow. I used to go to a quilt store up in the heights in Billings. But with my back giving me fits and having to work to keep my insurance I haven't been going up there like I should. But Very soon...I've been looking for quilting group to join, finally! Right now I'm working on a Pam Bono quilt, I think its called flower garden. Ive made 2 bargello quilts so far. its a lot of sewing, but well worth it with the results!  thanks Tylea

• Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 55

I read about a Bargello quilt in a cozy mystery. I wondered what it looked like, searched the web and loved it.

I'm currently sewing my first Bargello from basic instructions on Quiltville.com. I was hoping to make it twin bed size but I didn't have enough of one type fabric (quilting math is my downfall). So I'm mixing it up with the Bargello part in the center and several borders.

It's for a college student living in the dorm. He likes computers so I found fabric called 'Geek Gone Wild' and chose several prints to match it.

I have sewn about a dozen quilt tops. Right now my goal is to quilt them. I took a class to learn about machine quilting. Eventually, I'll try a fancier Bargello with a heart or other shape!  

• Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 145
cathy replied on Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:57 AM

What is a cozy mystery?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 55

It is a light mystery with a female protagonist. Usually a series, written in first person. A few months ago I discovered they are called cozy mysteries. Terri Thayer wrote the one that mentioned Bargellos (I think) or it might have been Clare O'Donahue. They both write cozies about quilters.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 12:39 AM

Hi this is Patti.  I took a class a few years ago on doing a big heart bargello.  As usual, it sits in my stack unfinished.  But now I do have a reason to finish it.  My brother-in-law is getting married.  There was a time that no one thought he would.  He is a wonderful man, but has Asperger's disorder, and a lot of people don't understand him and therefor feel uncomfortable around him.  Well, he has been dating someone from his church for two years, and this week he asked her to marry him, and she said yes!  He has seen all his younger siblings get married over the years, and now he says "my time has finally come."  I am so happy for him!  So that bargello quilt is going to be the wedding gift.

He is a brilliant, talented man, and speaks several languages.  And although he is not good at expressing emotions, his actions speak for him.  Kind and generous and will never turn away from anyone who could use his help.  And now he has a finance who sees beyond his sometimes awkward behavior, and appreciates who he is. 

I just had to share this.  I am so happy for him.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Yvonne replied on Mon, Feb 13 2012 8:10 PM

Hi.  My name's Yvonne.  I like Bargello quilts.  I have a kit - Freckle Frenzy (I think) from Keepsake Quilting that I bought this summer.  Afraid to give it a go, though.  Maybe belonging to a group will give me motivation.  I've been quilting for several years, have about 25 tops that are finished and need quilting, anything ranging from a table runner to a king size.  One day I will have a long arm. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Feb 14 2012 9:58 AM

Hello Yvonne;

I am attending a class for learning bargello at http://www.quiltuniversity.com   Check it out.  You might be interested.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sat, Feb 25 2012 1:39 PM

Arzella,

My guild is having a workshop being taught by Maggie Ball. I decided to sign up after seeing your post. I'm afraid I won't be able to get the book in time for the workshop. Will I be at a disadvantage ?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 10:48 PM

Hi, I have done exactly three bargello quilts two of which are wall hangings and one is lapsize only due to borders lol. I would love to learn more how to design and make my own bargello designs. I have heard of them through various means. I have taken the bargello seasons class offered from quiltuniversity which is a great beginner class for anyone who is interested in it. They also offer the next two classes in the sequences. I'm sure your lqs offers some as well. Plenty of books I'm sure just never used one.

The first trick is doing the strip piecing to making bargello from your designs instead of just individually cutting the squares and rectangles. It makes it much easier and quicker to to the pattern and more fun less tedious.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Mar 3 2012 7:27 PM

I just downloaded a couple of Bargello patterns from Craftsy so I decided to join this group.  I'm eager to give this technique a try.  The pictures of quilts I've seen posted on QCA are beautiful.

• Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:46 PM

Hello Sheri;

I just can't wait until you get your first Bargello Quilt posted.  You will love it.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Sun, Mar 4 2012 6:46 PM

Hello Sheri;

I just can't wait until you get your first Bargello Quilt posted.  You will love it.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

Hi Julie. I am new to the group and just catching up on all the posts. My favorite book on how to choose colors for bargello quilts is "Colorwash Bargello Quilts" by Beth Ann Williams, published in 2001.  It has 15 pages devoted to selecting fabric for bargellos, how to select the placement of the fabric for desired effects, with lots of color pictures. http://www.amazon.com/Colorwash-Bargello-Quilts-Beth-Williams/dp/1564773558/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333111580&sr=1-1. If  your library has inter-library loan you can order the book through your library. Happy quilting

Denise Smart

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 335
Julie replied on Fri, Mar 30 2012 8:19 AM

Thanks for the help. I appreciate this and will look for the book. Right now sewing quilts for charity...Quilts for Kids and working on DWR for us. NEXT big project w/b the bargello. So can I assume you HAVE used this book to help yo select fabrics?

Again, thanks for the link!

Page 3 of 5 (66 items) Prev12345Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use