WELCOME TO THE APPLIQUE GROUP AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF

rated by 0 users
This post has 733 Replies | 60 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:31 PM

To me it looks like machine.  Note the satin stitch around the pieces.  It is one gorgeous quilt!

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:52 PM

arthriticmama:
Hi, I am "arthriticmama", an almost retired RN in northern CA.

Welcome.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,819
Points 352,402
Kris replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 8:14 PM

Jgunther:
I joined this group yesterday, it was the first I found it.  I am wondering if the group does group projects?  As I said before I love applique.  I would like tono the direaction of the group.  Another question can emails be put in digest form?

Judy

Welcome Judy.

The site doesn't send emails in digest form. If you choose to get emails you receive one whenever someone posts to threads you choose to follow.

If your email program sorts mail by topic you can set it up that way. That's what I do so I can read one topic at a time.

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 10:05 PM

barbjaco, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 10:06 PM

thanks you kris, i have no idea what some people are asking when they talk about computer stuff.  i wondered how you set yours up.   that would be easier than getting them all in a jumble

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 10:03 AM

kraftkat, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:15 AM

gini:

Bev :
what needles,thread and etc should I purchase?

i use 11 applique needles, i like bohin and  P3 designs , or straw needles (milliner's needles)

i use a 60 wt. cotton thread in as close of color as i can match.    silk threads are wonderful, you don't need as many colors, becusue the silk hides in the fabric, it is slicker to work with, for a beginner i wouldn't pick silk.

i use 100% quilting cottons. and i prewash them to soften them and get the sizing out.   you don't want to work with homespuns or the more open weave fabrics to start with either.

Thanks for info Gini....I am going to start collecting supplies for applique and was watching videos from piece of cake designs. Other than the thread and needles what other tools do i need?  Do you use Self-Adhesive Laminate for Templates and what about scissors?

from TN

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 11:25 AM

Bev :
Do you use Self-Adhesive Laminate for Templates and what about scissors?

for template i  either use butcher paper or template plastid.  i don't adhere my template fo the fabric.  they are only for drawing an image around the fabric with a fabric pencil.  

i have a sharp pair of medium sized scissors for cutting out my applique shapes an Elan, they have a two inch blade.  http://www.everythingquilts.com/elan-4-in-sewing-and-embroidery-scissors.aspx

and i have a small pair of very sharp applique scissors.  i just got some new ones that i love   http://www.karenkaybuckley.com/store.php?cat=5

both of these scissors have serrated blades and cut clear to the tip.  they also have large holes for your fingers to fit through.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 1:53 PM

hi phyllis, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Tue, Sep 18 2012 9:35 PM

hi deborah, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Wed, Sep 19 2012 1:21 AM

hi carolyn. welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:15 AM

Hi, everyone! I'm not exactly new to this group ... I have been snooping around for a couple of weeks. I just ordered the wildflowers pattern that you all are doing, and really look forward to catching up with you all. I have just recently started trying needle turn applique and really enjoy it so far. (It gives me something to do at work. LOL) Anyway, I look forward to this and futures projects with you all.

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:51 AM

Kelli:

Hi, everyone! I'm not exactly new to this group ... I have been snooping around for a couple of weeks. I just ordered the wildflowers pattern that you all are doing, and really look forward to catching up with you all. I have just recently started trying needle turn applique and really enjoy it so far. (It gives me something to do at work. LOL) Anyway, I look forward to this and futures projects with you all.

AHA! I thought I saw someone lurking in the shadows! LOL - Welcome!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 364
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:01 AM

Sheila,

Yep that would be me!!LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Thu, Sep 20 2012 8:30 AM

hi kelli,   i have recommended to new appliquers, that you might want to enlarge this pattern.  if you are comfortable with how you're doing,  go ahead and try it in the six inch size.    there are ways to make the patterns easier, that don't matter a bit to the finished blocks. so after you get your pattern out and look at it, let me know what you're thinking. 

just about the pattern,  i don't need to know everything you're thinking.   not that i don't want to know what you're thinking, mind you,  but that might be a bit TMI.   :  )    unfortunately for all of you, i share a bit too much. 

gini in north idaho

Page 35 of 49 (734 items) «Prev3334353637Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use