WELCOME TO THE APPLIQUE GROUP AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF

rated by 0 users
This post has 794 Replies | 63 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 11:48 AM

that's weird, the quilt didn't show up, i haven't had that happen before                 once more

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 12:21 PM

traceyris, hello and welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:05 PM

I watched some of the video's of Nancy Ellen Quilts and can't wait to get started. Just curious, what needles,thread and etc should I purchase?

from TN

• Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:06 PM

Gini, thanks for the photo of your heart quilt. When you said you cut 4 inch blocks was that for the bacground fabric or the hearts?

And was  the country cousins quilt you  finished this spring the one for the wildflower posts?

from TN

• Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,578
Points 23,965
Susie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:32 PM

Gini--I agree with Lillie--You are one of our resident experts :)

I absolutely LOVE your heart quilt.  Now I know just what I want to do for my sister and her hubby for their very late wedding quilt.  As soon as I get caught up with my deadline projects, I think I'm going to put the P3 project on hold.  I'm still struggling with it, not feeling very comfortable with my attempts.  By the time I get done with all those hearts, I should be good at the inside and the points.  I'm fine with curves, it's the sharps that get me.

Welcome to all the new members!  WOW, are we a fast-growing group!  It would be fun to do an applique retreat where a bunch of us can just get together and sit and stitch and compare notes.  (Not that I'm volunteering to organize it right now, but it would be fun!)

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 913
Points 17,110

Bev :

Lillie:

gini:

here is the quilt patricia faye is referreing to        http://www.cherylquilts.com/affairs_of_the_heart.htm

WOW! That's beautiful. Is it all needle turn? 

What a beautiful quilt!! Are you sure you are new to applique? It looks very challenging to me since I have never done any applique. I plan to start a project soon when I find one I want that is for a beginner.

Like Gini, I would like to know how the quilt was appliqued, hand or machine. It looks like machine but I could be wrong.

Someone told me this was a good one for a beginner...maybe she was wrong?  

The one shown on the website Gini referenced shows " Machine applique using satin embroidery around a variety of fabrics provides stunning results in these individual 7-inch blocks..." but the book I purchased for this pattern shows hand appliqué.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:02 PM

frangreg, welcome to the applique group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:06 PM

Bev :
what needles,thread and etc should I purchase?

i use 11 applique needles, i like bohin and  P3 designs , or straw needles (milliner's needles)

i use a 60 wt. cotton thread in as close of color as i can match.    silk threads are wonderful, you don't need as many colors, becusue the silk hides in the fabric, it is slicker to work with, for a beginner i wouldn't pick silk.

i use 100% quilting cottons. and i prewash them to soften them and get the sizing out.   you don't want to work with homespuns or the more open weave fabrics to start with either.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:13 PM

Bev :
When you said you cut 4 inch blocks was that for the bacground fabric or the hearts?

i cut 4 1/2  inch background squares to finish 4 inches.

Bev :

And was  the country cousins quilt you  finished this spring the one for the wildflower posts?

country cousins was a separte quilt.  all of the  heading say country cousins instead of wild flowers.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/applique/forum/t/19369.aspx?PageIndex=3   here is the first block.  

when you click on discussions , your sorting and fliterin defaults to 2 weeks.  if you want to see things that happened a while back, click on sorting and filtering and adjust the settings.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:15 PM

Susie:
I'm fine with curves, it's the sharps that get me.

i gave a talk on that,  i'll try to find it for you.   there are some helpful tips to make it easier.    and yes, after you do 3oo hearts, you kinda get the hang of needle turn.

Susie:
It would be fun to do an applique retreat where a bunch of us can just get together and sit and stitch and compare notes.  (Not that I'm volunteering to organize it right now, but it would be fun!)

i agree, that would be a fun retreat.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 4:17 PM

Patricia Faye:

Someone told me this was a good one for a beginner...maybe she was wrong?  

yes, she was wrong.   this isn't a great beginner project. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 5:02 PM

I'm wondering if there is some virus spam at work on the QCA servers. I have 155 new emails and 125 of them are for new people joining to the applique group. Just a thought.

northern colorado

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 285
Linda replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:43 PM

Hello I'm Linda from Illinois I have just started quilting.... I however have been doing mostly Applique on all my work...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:56 PM

hi linda welcome to the group.   i would love to see some of your work.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:58 PM

lillie, it is very curious.  a lot of the new members here in the applique group are members that have been here a while, but haven't participated in many of the groups.   you can click on names and look at  activity.     perhaps, it is just fall, the kids are back in school and there's more free time.

gini in north idaho

Page 34 of 53 (795 items) «Prev3233343536Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use