BACKYARD BIRDS 2015 General Discussion

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,613
Points 418,219
gini Posted: Sat, Jan 3 2015 9:59 PM

our spring project will be a pattern by Piece O' Cake designs.   It is a cute pattern and looks fairly easy.  

Patricia Faye has graciously accepted the role as your leader on this quilt.    I am having hand surgery and will be out of commission for the next 3-4 months.   The blocks will start this spring, but patricia wanted you all to have enough time to get your pattern and gather your fabrics.  I will be doing this project with you but won't be able to start until April or May.   

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,613
Points 418,219
gini replied on Sat, Jan 3 2015 10:13 PM

I have requested permission to add the link and will do so as soon as I get it

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,005
Points 18,625

Hello everyone!  Please will join us on Backyard Birds from Piece O'Cake Designs, our first new project for 2015.   It's a cute quilt & as Gini said, it looks fairly easy.   The booklet includes some helpful hints & the option of completing a quilt using all 12 blocks or one using 4 blocks.  It provides instructions for each.   This should be fun! 

We're planning to start with Block 1 on March 1st.   Amazon.com has lots of the books available at varying prices.    Hopefully this will allow everyone time to get their book & gather your fabrics together.

I'm looking forward to seeing & hearing from each of you as we work together on Backyard Birds!

• Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,947
Points 69,835
Bonita replied on Sat, Jan 3 2015 11:00 PM

Thanks Gini for your choice of pattern. Looks like fun one to work on. A big thanks to Patricia Faye for taking this on. I ordered the book /pack tonight.  Better get busy on the Garden Party.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,005
Points 18,625

Hello again!  Gini & I wanted to provide a link to Piece O'Cake's website & the Backyard Birds pattern/book but for some reason neither of us were able to get the link to stick.  However, below is a copy of the link that you can copy & paste into your address line:  

http://www.pieceocake.com/Books/BackyardBirds.html

We hope you will join us in March!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,194
Points 130,000

OK Gini, you got me, I can't resist giving hand applique a try. I've ordered the book, it should be here Thursday.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,194
Points 130,000

Looking at the picture of the pattern, I'm wondering if these blocks could be used in a window pane wall hanging. I've been wanting to make a wall hanging for our bedroom wall and these sweet birds might be perfect.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,005
Points 18,625

Judy T-Bellingham:

Looking at the picture of the pattern, I'm wondering if these blocks could be used in a window pane wall hanging. I've been wanting to make a wall hanging for our bedroom wall and these sweet birds might be perfect.

Judy T,  I think they would make a pretty wall hanging!  

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,595

Yay Judy!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,194
Points 130,000

Patricia4:

Yay Judy!

Well, don't Yay too soon Patricia4.  With my beginner skills, these may turn out to be very goofy looking birds. But I am excited about giving it a shot.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 325
Points 5,595

Judy I am very new at applique too, and I found the tutorials at piece o cake to be really helpful.  Just in case you want to check them out!

On their website, just go to "lessons", then "applique lessons" -- she has a lot of videos of great techniques that really helped me a lot.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,194
Points 130,000

Thanks patricia4. I Will check them out. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,343
Points 373,592
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 8 2015 9:02 PM

Good luck with the surgeries Gini.

I bought this pattern last year. I haven't decided if I'll join in yet. I haven't made much progress on Garden Party and I have another Piece O' Cake Designs pattern started that needs work. So I'm still on the fence with this one.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 575
Points 10,925
Pat A replied on Fri, Jan 9 2015 7:52 AM

I've ordered my book from Amazon and should have it Monday.  Look forward to taking this on (as if I don't have any other quilty projects to do!)  Thank goodness we don't start this until March! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,194
Points 130,000

Pat A, that's one reason I signed up. March 1 seems like a long time away and, in my innocence, I'm assuming I'll have way more time then. Hah! 

My book is supposed to arrive today. I'm going to go through the tutorials on the piece o cake website and practice needle turning.

• Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 12Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use