FANTASY FLOWER BLOCK- 2 -BLUE BIRD

rated by 0 users
This post has 90 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini Posted: Thu, Mar 28 2013 3:00 PM

we will be working block 2 first. it's smaller and easier.

i do all my stems first.. if your stems are placed well the rest of the placements will be easy.  next i will place the bird, then the flowers, last the large leaves.   none of the appliques are exactly where they should go, close, but not exact.   i leave the leaves until last to balance the placement.  there is one bud that i will save for last too. 

i forgot to get a picture with just the stems, and i was too lazy to take off all the flowers, but i did move half of them to give you an idea of how i approach placement, and the order of stitching.  i didn't read the directions, so pearl may have a different idea.  it's always good to read the directions first, right? 

one thing i really like about pearl's patterns,   she has little arrows showing which pieces go under the others.   

one thing i don't like, she doesn't mark the center point oo the horizontal and vertical center lines.  they make it way easier for placement on the background.   

i will baste the pieces on before i start stitching.   i have used pins before, but basting takes little time and keeps the appliques secure.   i decided to make a western bluebird, they have a rosy little breast. 

i'm jumping the gun a bit, posting this.  please don't feel pressured into starting.  i like to have my block done a month before you so you have something to refer to.   i was aiming for the first of april, that may not happen.  most likely it will be a mid-month  start.   this is a fun pattern, everybody. 

he looks a bit off center and is.   i cut my blocks 1 inch bigger and will square up the blocks when they are all done.   the appliques look bigger than they will finish up, the seam allowances are showing. 

I forgot add,  I leave the calyxes  unsewn. After I put the flowers under them, I will stitch them closed

and here is the finished product

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 110
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Looking good Gini. I'm hoping to get to cut some pieces today so I can get started! Will you explain how you do your stems? I've seen several different methods over the years but have only seen them when I didn't need them. Now I'm not sure I remember .......LOL

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 5:55 PM

janet,  her stems are lumpy, so i cut out a template and traced them like the pattern.  make sure you lay them kitty corner on the fabric to take advantage of the bias. if you want them smooth, i make a good bit of them at a time on one of the clover bias tape makers.   the 1/4 inch one.   i cut my strips out on the bias 1/2 inch, and put them through the gadget.  i leave the iron on them for 20 seconds or so as i go along.   as soon as i am done with a strip, i wrap it around a toilet tube center or paper towel center and let them cool.   they store on the tube really well.  you roll off what you need as you go along.  the neat thing about this method, is you can make that 1/4 inch stem even smaller by double folding it under the seam allowance.   you can also trim the seam allowance after you have sewn one side,  trim the seam allowance you haven't sewn and get an even skinnier stem.   these are trhe two methods i use when i am folloing a pattern.   

i can't draw the pattern on my background, it is homespun...  i know, i know, i once said i would never use homespun again, but it was the perfect color.   that is another reason i am cutting them out with the pattern.  

another way of making stems is to cut your 1/2 strips, lay it down on the background, right sides together,and sew, with a running stitch.  tthen fold the stem over so the right side is showing and stitch the other side down.   you can make extremely skinny stems this way. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 5:56 PM

janet, did i answer your question or did i ramble?  :  ) 

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

gini:

janet, did i answer your question or did i ramble?  :  ) 

Yes, thank you. I was just tracing the pattern and realized what you said that her stems are lumpy, so I'm tracing them too. Thank you though for the rest of the info. I hope I remember it when I need it again. LOL

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 8:42 PM

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes the ipad has a mind of its own, and it doesn't know how to spell, either

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,040
Points 13,220

gini:

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes the ipad has a mind of its own, and it doesn't know how to spell, either

You bet!  That's how I type Gino instead of Gini but you know who I mean!  LOL

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,817
Points 248,489
Barbara replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:04 PM

gini:

Sure Gini , you are just trying to outdo my mistakes ,I know how you are  LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Thu, Mar 28 2013 11:52 PM

Barbara:
, you are just trying to outdo my mistakes ,I know how you are  LOL 

you haven't been around much lately and somebody has to hold up your end. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 12:53 AM

Gini,

thanks for the start and sharing your process. I baste my pieces on like this then sew. I tried it different ways but I like this method best.  I noticed there were not centre lines like other patterns.

I can't wait to get started.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

gini, thank you for posting this.  I have studied this and have a better idea of  the best way to prepare a block.  The block looks balanced with where the bird is placed now.  As you said the seam allowances are showing so it may look different.  Thanks again for all you do to teach this craft.  I still love doing it!

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

Kris, I may try basting the pieces on.  The pins *** my fingers, and I could do without a few pricks!

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 11:16 AM

Gini

Pearl uses the freezer paper and starch the seam allowances method.   Lots of prep work.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 234
Points 4,340

Yes it is,  but the actual applique seems to go so much faster. I'm going to try that starch method on this one and see how I like it. So far I've really liked it for the cottages.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 29 2013 1:35 PM

I have also read somewhere that once the person gets all the pieces of the applique lined up where they want them they place a drop of glue in the center of each piece to hold them in place.   Have any of you tried this before?

Vinton, Virginia

• Post Points: 65
Page 1 of 7 (91 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use