MelodyP

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Wed, May 29 2013 2:34 PM

here we go again.  

i never plan, one of my many failings.   instead of getting out all my blocks and picking a fabric for the block in the picture with the dark blue vase, i just willy nilly picked a fabric i liked.   now that the blue vase is half stitched down, i laid it with the other blocks to see how the flowers looked, and dang if that vase doesn't look too dark next to the others.   once i took the picture it doesn't look as  obnoxious as it does in person.   but still, it's too dark.   

i could leave it and add some darker features to a couple of other blocks, i can change to a lighter blue, or i can leave it as is.  i am interviewing other lighter blues today.  

i am leaning towards darkening other blocks.  i like darker colors much better, but i was trying to kinda sorta follow the pattern.  so much for that, pastels are a wee bit boring to me.   after i interview some other fabrics,  i'll post the results. 

as i look at this in a bigger format,  i can see it is the entire block that is darker.  it does balance with the purple vase.   i'm thinking i will make the last block darker and have a combo of light dark blocks.  not a great balance, but i think it might work.   i'm still working on lightening the blue vase, though. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

gini, I like the blue.  It is reflected in each of three blocks.  I love the purple but it appears the darker.  I may have to start mine after all!  It's so pretty!!!!

MelodyP

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Wed, May 29 2013 8:08 PM

Gini - I think you need both light and dark to make the quilt interesting.  Personally, I love the way it looks.  You don't want one value all through it.  When you arrange your blocks at the conclusion, intersperse them so they will balance your quilt.  Put light over here and dark over there, a vase of flowers here and a heart or something there.  It will be a beautiful quilt.  Your work is excellent.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 901
Points 16,685

Gini, I agree with Emily.  I love your fabric/color selections.  I wouldn't change a thing!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,743
Points 364,857
Kris replied on Thu, May 30 2013 12:57 AM

Gini,

I think the bottom vase is too light as the blue and purple appear dark. I'm not a fan of pastel colours so that influences by take on it.

I do like what I see though I, like everyone else, think they will work when you get your final layout.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 222
Points 4,130

I agree with you, you can balance it with some darker shades in the remaining blocks. I love it. It looks great in the picture.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, May 30 2013 1:18 PM

thanks for the input.   i decided i needed to cut out the pieces for the last block before i decided on the coloring of the blue vase.   it's hard to get the true colors to come out on here.   the orange vase stands up pretty well against the dark vases,  the flowers i think are too pastel.  

anyhow,  i made the last block darker and i think that will work well.   now to get them finished.

i am going to add some pieced blocks between the applique blocks.  here are the fabrics i've pulled together for the pieced blocks.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, May 30 2013 6:46 PM

I love your selection but maybe you should include a few blocks of a different value.  They all seem to be on the light side.  Throw in some medium and/or darker fabrics to bring out those colors in the quilt.  The upshot is - what turns you on is what you should use. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Thu, May 30 2013 9:41 PM

Emily, I didn't want the pieced blocks to stand out.  I'll make a few blocks and see how it works.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, May 30 2013 9:59 PM

Gini - I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be beautiful.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 12:50 AM

Gini

I think your fabric selection is fantastic.  I can see doing 9 patches or even 16 patches with these fabrics to set off the applique blocks.  I also love the blue and purple vase.  They add a little zing to the mix.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,031
Points 13,105

Nana:

Gini

I think your fabric selection is fantastic.  I can see doing 9 patches or even 16 patches with these fabrics to set off the applique blocks.  I also love the blue and purple vase.  They add a little zing to the mix.

I'm with Nana. Zing is good and I like the mix. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,020
Points 65,115
Robin replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 5:30 AM

Gini,

I love your color palette.

Robin

Page 3 of 3 (44 items) Prev123
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use