GROWING IN OUR APPLIQUE

rated by 0 users
This post has 43 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini Posted: Mon, Mar 25 2013 1:18 PM

I am going to try something here, i hope it goes well.   

If you are having a design issue with your block, something isn't quite right and you don't know what's bugging you or how to fix it;  i would like you to post that block here.   i would like this to be a page where  you can get  help with design, ie: color, perspective, technique tricks.   

i would like constructive criticism  here.   i think all of our blocks are beautiful,  but sometimes a wee bit of tweaking can make them pop.  

what i  do want,  is to be able to post a troublesome block and get ideas on what i did wrong and how could i fix it, or if it is worth the bother to fix it.    what i don't want is anyone getting their feelings hurt.    unless someone asks for an opinion, don't give one, and please only address the question being asked. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 1:23 PM

here we go.   here is my first country cousin block,   i think i know what's bugging me about it,  i'm not sure i want to take the time to redo it, but maybe i could add applique to make it better.    the tree is not balancing the block.  i tried to get distance perspective, that didn't work in this block.  what ideas do you have to help?

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 140
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,465
Jacy replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 1:54 PM

Gini, maybe add something to the foreground, a bush, a kitty, a child heading to the swing.

• Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 2:11 PM

Gini

I am thinking a bush or sandbox or something in the foreground.   It seems like the tree is hanging in midair with all the blank space in the foreground.    I love your house.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 463
Points 8,810
Jan replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 2:17 PM

Gini,

The tree kind of looks like it is hanging in the air to me.  Maybe a couple more of those cute flowers you have at the base of the tree would make it look more like it is a tree behind the house.  Or a couple of tall grass sprigs.

Jan

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 2:30 PM

Hi Gini,

I think what you've done is wonderful and I like the idea of perspective on the tree. The problem is there is nothing in the foreground to give the illusion that the tree is father away than the house. Perhaps you can move the tree down a bit and have one of the branches behind the roof line to give it a bit more perspective. Maybe with just a bit of the green leaves showing on that one branch. I really have no suggestions for what might go in the foreground to add to the perspective.

I hope that helped.

northern colorado

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 46
Points 675

I'm no expert at this, but I wonder if you can add something to provide a separation of the sky from the land.  I find with the background one fabric, that it's hard for my eye to set the perspective.  Perhaps an embroidery line or two for grass, and/or a cloud in the sky.  

You have chosen great  fabrics and the tree looks very inviting as I love swinging.  

Leslie on Vancouver Island

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 4:11 PM

you ladies are wonderful.   this is exactly how i would like this thread  to work.   you have  given me some great ideas to work with.

i know we have just gotten started here,  but how do you all like this idea?  do you think it will help you  with your design process, or do you think it is too negative?    i think i will leave this up for now to see how it gets used, but i would like feedback on this thread as we go along.   

applique is one thing,   the design is a whole 'nother process.  i think that for our applique to get better,  we need to take into consideration how the design goes together, too.    as you are planning your block, think about why the design works or doesn't work for you.  how will you plan the color,  will you tweak the design a bit to suit you.  after you have made a couple of  applique quilts, design ideas naturally pop into your head.  "hmm, i would have done the tree this way,  or the color is too dark on the right side".   go with your instinct and play with your applique.  make it "yours" .    ideally, i would like to see us designing our own patterns.   it isn't that hard, trust me. 

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:08 PM

gini:

i know we have just gotten started here,  but how do you all like this idea?  do you think it will help you  with your design process, or do you think it is too negative?    i think i will leave this up for now to see how it gets used, but i would like feedback on this thread as we go along.   

applique is one thing,   the design is a whole 'nother process.  i think that for our applique to get better,  we need to take into consideration how the design goes together, too.    as you are planning your block, think about why the design works or doesn't work for you.  how will you plan the color,  will you tweak the design a bit to suit you.  after you have made a couple of  applique quilts, design ideas naturally pop into your head.  "hmm, i would have done the tree this way,  or the color is too dark on the right side".   go with your instinct and play with your applique.  make it "yours" .    ideally, i would like to see us designing our own patterns.   it isn't that hard, trust me. 

Gini, I think it's a great idea and hopefully it will work out the way you envisioned.

northern colorado

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:35 PM

Embroider a green line from about 1/2" to the left and about 1/2"up from  the tree DOWN to the middle of the cottage and it will look like the tree is on a hill.

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 6:47 PM

I don't think it is a negative idea at all.  The idea of helping one another when we 'face a blank' in our thinking is a very positive thing.  I don't think anyone's feelings will be hurt as long as we remain civil and are genuine friends.  If one does not like the ideas brought forth, one doesn't have to use them.  Originality can came from someone else's 'tweak' on a block.  Great thinking, Gini.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 907
Points 16,795

Emily:

Embroider a green line from about 1/2" to the left and about 1/2"up from  the tree DOWN to the middle of the cottage and it will look like the tree is on a hill.

I agree with Emily that adding a line would give you a perspective of a hill.  

Great idea to do this Gini.  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,465
Jacy replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 7:02 PM

Emily:

I like this idea too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,873
Points 366,872
Kris replied on Mon, Mar 25 2013 7:03 PM

I think a line that represents a hill or horizon behind the house would help.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020

gini, I am all over this idea!  I have been doing this very thing today!  Love it!

applique is one thing,   the design is a whole 'nother process.  i think that for our applique to get better,  we need to take into consideration how the design goes together, too.    as you are planning your block, think about why the design works or doesn't work for you.  how will you plan the color,  will you tweak the design a bit to suit you.  after you have made a couple of  applique quilts, design ideas naturally pop into your head.  "hmm, i would have done the tree this way,  or the color is too dark on the right side".   go with your instinct and play with your applique.  make it "yours" .    ideally, i would like to see us designing our own patterns.

MelodyP

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 123Next
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use