rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 7:10 PM

Emily:

Thank you, Linny.  I ordered the freezer paper.  I also use the 100 wt silk thread.  I find it is the best for applique because it sinks right into the fabric.  I knot the thread next to the needle hole so the thread doesn't keep slipping through the hole.  Works perfectly. 

I do that, too, Emily.  It makes sewing with it possible.  It's like threading human hair, so the less I have to do that, the better, lol. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 7:50 PM

Bren, I've been appliqueing on and off for many years, but needleturned the Country Cousins blocks, thanks to Gini's motivation and a woman who demonstrated at a quilt show.  I used to do freezer paper on the back with lots of starch and many burnt fingertips.  I also got tired of having to cut the back to get the paper out.

I like to trace the pattern on the background so that when I go to sew I can focus more on my stitches.  I use a white Sewline ceramic pencil on the darks/mediums and a fine line water soluable blue ben on the lights.  Works for me.  I know some use pencil, but I'm not that brave or good yet.  What do you use?

I like the thought of the bobbin ring.  I could see where that would be really convenient.  I have tubes for the YLI threads.  I have one short one that holds 6 spools and it fits perfectly in my hussif.  I rarely need more colors than that.  I have seen where teachers recommend other threads and have tried a few.  I really like how the silk acts and feels, so I use it all the time.  Maybe I'll give my bobbin winder a little work out and put some YLI on bobbins in a ring.  Thanks for the tip.

Gini is my applique role model :)

Linny T

• Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 9:23 PM

Linny I don't normally trace the pattern on the background.  I have tried it a couple of times.  I can't seem to keep my applique on the lines.  I see some of my friends do it that way.  Maybe I need to practice that.  I usually just lay the background on the pattern and pin the appliqué for sewing a piece or two at a time  I pin along the turn line to keep it flat and in place. Sometimes I use a light box but most of the time if I put something white behind the pattern and I can see it through the background.  Not sure how I would do it for a dark background.  How do you do it for a dark background?  I also like to use the white ceramic pencil but I use it to trace my turn line.  I have a pencil made by Clover I use on light fabrics.

Have you ever tried the Pilot Frixion fine point erasable pens?  It goes away with heat.  Someone said, well yes but it comes back if you put the fabric in the freezer.  Okay but I don't put my quilts in the freezer.  LOL.  Actually that turned out to be a good thing.  A friend forgot and pressed her piece and her pattern disappeared.  She put it in the freezer and to her delight it did come back.  I have used it for embroidery but not so far for appliqué.  I want to play with it to make sure it doesn't show up sometime later.  I guess if you washed the quilt it would be okay.  

In one of Sharon Schamber's videos she said to use a Bic pencil.  The really cheap ones don't have very good lead and she says it will be mostly be off by the time you are finished.  

I think one time when I looked in to see what was going on everyone was working on the Country Cousins blocks.  Was that the one that the book was no longer available? If so, I really liked that one.  I tried to get the book to sew along with everyone but I couldn't find one.

I agree.  Gini does beautiful work.  I have never attempted a large appliqué quilt.  It was overwhelming to me.  I am so impressed at what she has accomplished.   I enjoy looking at her photos.  Like I said before she is motivating me to keep going.

Bren

• Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 6:52 AM

Here's my Poppy.

Linny T

• Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:03 AM

Linny another beauty.  You have been busy .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:12 AM

beautiful fabrics. you've done a wonderful job on all your blocks.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:20 AM

Bren, I totally missed this post.  I'm sorry.  For a dark background I would trace the pattern on using dressmakers carbon.  I'd probably tape the whole thing down on a flat surface to start with.  I use my scrap pieces of freezer paper like tape sometimes to secure the pattern to the base fabric for tracing.  Another way is to make an overlay, like with clear vinyl and put it onto the base fabric to position each piece as you lay it down and pin.  Or you could just wing it without tracing the pattern, creasing the base fabric for reference lines.  It depends on how complicated the pattern is, I suppose.

The Country Cousins book is still available new and used and you can find it on line with a search.  Here's what came up on Amazon this morning.  I am not ready to let mine go yet, but maybe someone in this group is done with theirs and wouldn't mind parting with it.

Linny T

• Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Linny, you are a very talented lady

[Ava, Missouri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,418
Points 415,784
gini replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 11:10 AM

It pays to do a search on books periodically.   For a while, country cousins was only available for around $50.  It looks like the used books are beginning to hit the market.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 11:19 AM

Very charming!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:35 PM

Thanks, everyone.  This is a challenge for me, using batiks.  My leftovers are starting to look like Swiss cheese from all the fussy cutting.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,561
Points 139,563

Linny t:
 My leftovers are starting to look like Swiss cheese from all the fussy cutting.

The fussy cutting sure paid off on this one. It's gorgeous.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:44 PM

Linni thanks for the tip about using dressmakers carbon.  I will have to see if I can find mine.  I'm not to good at winging it.  That usually gets me in trouble.  : )

Maybe I will run across the Country Cousins book someday.  Thanks for looking into it.  I would probably just look at it anyway.  There are just so many beautiful things that I would like to make.

I enjoyed looking at your blocks.  They are all just beautiful and very well done.  I still only have two finished.  I need to post a picture of my second one.  I am going to follow your instructions and hopefully load it here.

Gini I am going to try the fabric torture technique on my next leaves.  Looking forward to that.  LOL

Bren

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,214
Points 111,970
Linny t replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 7:50 PM

Bren, you're welcome and thanks for the compliment.  Look forward to seeing #2 picture.  I'm also going to try Gini's technique on my next concave, although I know it'll stress me a little.  

Stephanie, thank you, too.  This was I think the first block I made and the one that made me fall in love with the patterns.  It was like an instant addiction.

Linny T

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:06 PM

Linny I appologise for spelling your name wrong.  Spell checker isn't helping either.  It tries to make it Lonnie.

Bren

Page 3 of 7 (92 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use