WILDFLOWERS BLOCKS FOR JULY - CALIFORNIA POPPY

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 6:42 PM

Nana I hope you like it too.  One of my friends showed me how to appliqué with it.  I had never seen anyone use it before.  Be sure to leave the black outline on the edge of the contact paper.  You might have a hard time seeing it other wise.  

Bren

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,497
Points 138,408

Thanks for the tips Bren.  I found the contact paper method interesting. When you leave it in, wouldn't it have to be for a piece you don't plan to wash or iron?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Thu, Aug 2 2012 10:45 AM

Hi Stephanie

It goes on the top of the fabric.  I pull it off either before, during or after appliqueing the  piece to background.  If you try it be sure to use a permanate marker.  Ink seems to smear and it may end up on your fabric.  If you try it let me know how it goes for you.

Bren

• Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Fri, Aug 3 2012 8:43 AM

Gini,

That is absolutely beautiful!  I really like your darker background fabric.  Really enhances the flower.  I never would have thought to do that. Very nice, indeed.

replied on Sun, Aug 5 2012 7:35 PM

Gini, Just beautiful! I aspire to make mine look this beautiful!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 12:03 AM

thanks annie and candis.   i'll do all i can from here to help you, candis.   have you done much applique?

gini in north idaho

replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 10:05 AM

gini:

thanks annie and candis.   i'll do all i can from here to help you, candis.   have you done much applique?

I have appliqued several pieces, here and there. I do mostly raw edge. Needle turn unfortunately hurts my hands to much. But I love the way appliqué looks on quilts. Always love the elegance it brings. I do practice . Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents with us..you do beautiful work.    I am a lurker and have seen several pics of your work.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,119
Points 110,550
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:46 AM

Thanks for the tips, Bren.  Your work is beautiful!  How long have you been appliqueing? 

I used to do the starch & press method, but now do needleturn, too.  I use freezer paper on top, but the contact paper method sounds cool.  A little more work maybe, but with fussy little pieces I bet it is an aid.  I'll have to try it.  I like to scan my patterns and then print them onto freezer paper sheets.  It saves me a lot of time.  Then I cut them out.  I also print a copy on regular paper and use the scraps of freezer paper kind of like tape to temporarily hold the paper pattern in place on the back of my background until I trace it.  I use YLI 100 wt. silk.  I just love it.

Did you figure out how to post your pics in the threads yet?  It's the little icon, 11th from the left on the bar above your text block that looks like a strip of film with a little + sign in a green circle on the bottom, right side. 

Linny T

• Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 11:56 AM

I like the tip of scanning the pattern on to freezer paper.  Do you have trouble getting the freezer paper through the printer?  How do you do it?  I usually trace the pattern on to freezer paper, cut it out and iron it to the fabric. Then I cut out the fabric (with freezer paper ironed on) with a 1/8" allowance.  Then I just needle turn up to the freezer paper and then remove the paper.  But if I could print the pattern, it would save me from tracing it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,119
Points 110,550
Linny t replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 12:06 PM

Emily:
Do you have trouble getting the freezer paper through the printer?  How do you do it?

Not at all.  I feed in one sheet at a time.  I get packages of pre-cut 8 1/2 x 11 sheets from C.Jenkins.  When I tried to cut it myself it just took too much time, so I just order it.  It's not that expensive when you consider the time you put into it.  That I use all the scraps for something helps me justify the cost.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,358
Points 414,944
gini replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 12:44 PM

thank you candis.   have you worked with wool.  it is wonderful to applique, both with a machine and by hand.   and i love the look of wool

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 1:52 PM

Linny you are so welcome.  Thank you for the compliment and for sharing your tip!  I guess I have been appliqueing 8 years or so.  Doing more lately.  How about you?  

I can see how printing the pattern instead of tracing it would be a great time saver.  I do different methods for different things.  Next time I use freezer paper I will scan and print. : ). 

I  used to always use silk thread.  Lately I have been using the cotton more though.  Different appliqué teachers recommended different threads so I have a variety.  I have DMC 50wt, Maderia Cotona No. 50 and Mettler Ne 60/2 (100).  The Mettler that has the green writing on the spool.  I use which ever one is the color I need.  I carry my appliqué to several quilt groups on a regular basis.  I liked the thread on the prewound  bobbins in the bobbin rings so much because I didn't have to pack around lots of spools of thread for my project. Learned that tip in an appliqué class.

I don't usually trace the pattern on my background.  What pencil do you use to trace with?  

Thank you for the instruction for posting my picture in the thread.  I almost have my second block finished and will give it a try.  

Gini you are keeping me motivated.  Thanks!

Bren

replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 2:01 PM

gini:

thank you candis.   have you worked with wool.  it is wonderful to applique, both with a machine and by hand.   and i love the look of wool

No I haven't used wool before, But I will sure try it, I bet it adds a whole new texture!  Thank you....  Your the best!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 3:42 PM

Thank you, Linny.  I ordered the freezer paper.  I also use the 100 wt silk thread.  I find it is the best for applique because it sinks right into the fabric.  I knot the thread next to the needle hole so the thread doesn't keep slipping through the hole.  Works perfectly. 

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Mon, Aug 6 2012 4:03 PM

Emily when I use Silk thread I do that too.  I got really tired of retreading that needle.  : )

Bren

Page 2 of 7 (92 items) Prev12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use