WILDFLOWERS BLOCKS FOR JULY - CALIFORNIA POPPY

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,094
gini Posted: Tue, Jul 31 2012 1:39 AM

I added an extra petal to the center flower.   i didn't like how it was looking.  i really need to work on my embroidery.   i don't like doing it so i get sloppy.  i'll rip this lot out and start over.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,094
gini replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 1:42 AM

now on to august, hopefully they'll be done before the month is over.

gini in north idaho

• Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 6:40 AM

Beautiful block Gini, I don't see anything wrong with your embroidery

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,086
Points 31,520
Lillie replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 7:25 AM

Oh that is beautiful Gini. I don't see an issue with your embroidery.

northern colorado

• Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 416
Points 7,690
Emily replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:51 AM

Nice colors - don't mess with the embroidery.  It's fine and goes well with the flower.  The extra petal looks good too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,482
Points 417,094
gini replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 10:24 AM

you guys are too nice, thanks

gini in north idaho

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 3:19 PM

Very pretty Gini.  The extra petal looks good! 

I just uploaded my first wildflower block. 

Bren

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 3:27 PM

Gini

Beautiful block.  And I don't see a thing wrong with your embroidery.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 7,270
Points 112,940
Linny t replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 7:35 PM

Gini, this is just great!.  You are a master of fabric, know that?  On your embroidery (which isn't bad looking at all) if the stitches are just too loose you can take some thread and run it under them on the wrong side using the same weight thread you did the stitches in.  Sometimes that tightens them up just enough so you don't have to wrip them out.  I love this. block.  Makes me wish I'd have put mine on a dark background.

Linny T

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,562
Points 139,613
Stephanie replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:36 PM

This block is gorgeous!!! The colors just glow against your brown background. Love the addition of the extra petal, and I really like your embroidery. The thread color is perfect and it has a fernlike quality to it. And look at that tiny center. The whole effect looks so real.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:48 PM

I'm sorry.  I am feeling a little computer stupid right now.  I don't know how to put a picture in the chat like Gini did.  All of your nice comments are with the picture and I don't know how to answer.  Soooo, I will do it here. : ).  

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my block.

Emily, no I didn't machine stitch it.  I mostly do needle turn.  

Gerie,  no I didn't color the fabric myself.  I have been collecting fabrics with shades and swirls for appliqué for quite a while.  Some of my fabrics look like Swiss cheese now.  Ha ha.

Would anyone like to share their favorite way to do appliqué and any tips you use often?

I know the starch and press method gets really good results but I enjoy the needle turn method.  If I use freezer paper I trace the pattern and cut on the traced line. I iron it to the top and cut around it adding extra fabric for turning under.  I remove it when ready to appliqué on background.  I like sequin pins better than the appliqué pins. They are smaller and aren't in my way as much.

Tips I like:  I really like using the Superior thread bobbin rings of Master Piece cotton thread.  They make 2 with 35 colors in each one.  That gives me 70 colors of thread in those two rings.  Great assortment without packing around a bunch of spools of thread.  A friend of mine is looking to buy bobbins in bulk to wind her silk thread to put in a bobbin ring.

Tip two:  I like to trace my appliqué designs on clear contact paper.  I trace on top of the contact not the paper side.  Always trace with a fine point permanate marker.  You can number or make notes as well.  Cut on traced line.  Now pull it off of the backing.  You will be able to see through it for placement to get the perfect shading.  I also like that there is no ironing needed like with the freezer paper.  Sometimes I have done the needle turn with the contact paper left on the fabric, sometimes I take it off.  When it is left on you can needle turn, or finger press fabric edge under.  The contact paper actually helps hold the fabric for you.  I have also found it keeps the appliqué flat and isn't stiff to work with like the freezer paper.  Can you tell I really like the contact paper?

Okay now everyone else's turn.  How do you do your appliqué?

Bren

• Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 70
Points 1,185
breinkc replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:52 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add that I trace around the edge of the freezer paper after it has been ironed to the fabric for my turn under line.  Then I cut.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,963
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Tue, Jul 31 2012 9:07 PM

Gini your block looks great. I wouldn't change a thing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:37 AM

Bren

That is a great tip on the contact paper.  I will have to give that a try.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:38 AM

Gini, this is beauitful I wouldn't  change a thing

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 7 (92 items) 12345Next»
| RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use